what oil to use in a 2000 e430 Benz

Status
Not open for further replies.
My father just got a cleann 2000 E430 with the 275 up v8. It has 99000 mile on it which type of oil would you guys suggest using it takes 8.5 quarts. I'm thinking of either using Gc or mobil ow-40 I will be using a puralator filter. He only drives about 10 miles a day.

+1 on the GC or mobil 1 0w40.

Either one will work great.

I would be tempted to try both for 2-3 OCI each and get a UOA at the end of each brand run. see what one dose the best for your application.

Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
What does the owners manual specify?
I was going to say that!!!! Amsoil has a recommendation program as well as Valvoline and Mobil oil on the respective web sites to get you into the ballpark viscosity wise etc.

Both GC and M1 0W40 are recommended oil for '00 E430, most MB dealers stock M1 0W40 for 1998 and newer Benz's. M1 is also recommended for AMG engines and GC is not. This list contains all oils recommended for newer MB engines:
http://www.whnet.com/4x4/oil.html

For filter (oil, air and cabin), Mann and Hengst are MB's OEM and cost less than Purolator (Amazone.com has Hengst paper filter for $8.87 and fleece filter for $18.84, I use paper filter).

If he going to change his own oil, buy an oil extractor and the recommended one is Mityvac 7201 (the best price right now is from Amazon.com). I had one for 4 years and used it to extract oil from my '00 E430 without any drop on the garage floor. I also use it to extract transmission fluid from the transmission dipstick too.

MB engines are very sensitive to oil overfilled, I always use 8 quarts so that the oil level is about 1-2 mm below the max line.

Last edited:
+1 on either. I'd also consider valvoline 5w40, amsoil 5w40 or rotella 5 w40, depending upon what is available in the area, what a good price is, how often he drives over 10 miles, if he's planing on using fss, uoA, or just straight mileage to determine oci.

thanks for the replies I know nothing about MB cars, I actually wanted him to get a simple accord or Avalon. He plans on doing 10k oil changes. Do E classes come with a drain plug or do I need an extractor again I'm a noob when it comes to MB vehicles.

A extractor would be easier, but I do believe they have drain plugs.

10K mile OCI would probly work, but I would never run it out that long. I use my synthetic 5-6K.

I like to change it sooner. Get a UOA and see what it says about 10,000 mile OCIs. if it works, do it!

I would think with such a large oil sump, a modern synthetic, and my dads very easy driving 10k should be no problem

in our 96 e300d, the sump, about 7.5 or 8 qts, it is jut as easy to extract fromthe top. It is easy on oil, even with the soot loading of a diesel, and uoas are consistently good.

The '00 E430 has Flexible Service System (FSS) which is an oil life monitor, it starts at 10k miles and counts down to zero, you may want to change oil no later than zero, after you change the oil reset it. Depending on number of cold starts, short or long trips ... it may count down faster or slower. For normal driving conditions such as 10 miles or more for most trips, the FSS would not count down to zero for about 13-14k miles. Synthetic oils such as M1 0W40 should lasted more than 10k miles, for dino or HDEO oils then the OCI's should be 5-6k miles.

It does have drain plug, but you need to remove the under-side panel to get to the drain plug. I'm recommending the extractor because the cartridge filter is at the top of the front engine, you can easily change the filter and oil without getting under the car. By the time you jack up the car, put jack stands under the car and remove the under-side panel, you were already finish extracting the oil and changed the filter.

After using the oil extractor on a Benz, you will never want to drain the oil for any Benz. The oil dipstick tube of newer Benz was designed for using oil extractor, it would extract as much oil as normal draining.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back