Supertech Synthetic vs. Valvoline Synthetic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright so the prices on Supertech synthetic 5w-30 and Valvoline synthetic 5w-30 are just about equal, which one shall I go with? They seem very similar from what I've read, but I'd be curious to hear your input. Car is a 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT (6g72 SOHC V6 engine) with 60k miles. Thanks for any input
wink.gif

Chuck1986,

I've read on this forum that Supertech is pretty good stuff so just once you can't go wrong in trying it. I love synthetic oil but I usually use M1 BUT Valvoline is my second when I can't get Mobil 1. As long as it's a synthetic you are protected in some form or another. My opinion only.

Durango

if you are talking a 5000 mile OCI or less, pick whichever you like. If you are talking more than 5000 miles, Valvoline would be the safer pick.

Quote:

How is regular white bottle valvo for 5k OCI's?

The life-span of any oil is dependent on engine cleanliness, driving habits, how long the OCIs are, percentage of dilution in the oil..... etc.. etc. Get a UOA done afterwards -- that will give you a better time-frame.

Hear is my 1st and last experience with Valvoline Synthetic. Wifes car, 2001 Lexus Rx300 with 203k miles on it. Since the original oil I have always and I mean ALWAYS have used Mobile 1 10/30 with Toyota filter every 4k miles. Blackstone labs does my testing. Last month we went from Ga to Co. It was a 1800 mile trip one way. I was in a big rush to get everything in my life ready before we went out of town. The night before I had remembered I forgot that I didnt change the oil. I went to Walmart and they were out of my oil. I used Valvoline Synthetic. The car has never used a drop of oil since new. I was checking the car over before heading back to Georgia. It had used over 2 qts of oil on the way out there. I was freaked. I went to Walmart in Montrose, Co and got my M1. Checked it frequently on the wy home and it never burned a drop.
I guess that engine with that many miles on it just does not like Valvoline. FYI, I own a mobile fleet repair business, some of my customers ask me to use the cheapest oil I can get in regards to price. I use Supertech for them. I have been using this for over 3 years and have never had a customer have one engine problem with this oil. I use Shell Rotella most of the time since most of my customers have diesels.

Quote:

Hear is my 1st and last experience with Valvoline Synthetic. Wifes car, 2001 Lexus Rx300 with 203k miles on it. Since the original oil I have always and I mean ALWAYS have used Mobile 1 10/30 with Toyota filter every 4k miles. Blackstone labs does my testing. Last month we went from Ga to Co. It was a 1800 mile trip one way. I was in a big rush to get everything in my life ready before we went out of town. The night before I had remembered I forgot that I didnt change the oil. I went to Walmart and they were out of my oil. I used Valvoline Synthetic. The car has never used a drop of oil since new. I was checking the car over before heading back to Georgia. It had used over 2 qts of oil on the way out there. I was freaked. I went to Walmart in Montrose, Co and got my M1. Checked it frequently on the wy home and it never burned a drop.
I guess that engine with that many miles on it just does not like Valvoline. FYI, I own a mobile fleet repair business, some of my customers ask me to use the cheapest oil I can get in regards to price. I use Supertech for them. I have been using this for over 3 years and have never had a customer have one engine problem with this oil. I use Shell Rotella most of the time since most of my customers have diesels.

Wow that's quite a story! The Valvoline made you burn ~1 qt per 1000 miles?! Sounds like a GM, not a Lexus
laugh.gif

You always you mean always use "Mobile 1" but you can't even spell it correctly?
laugh.gif

FWIW, it is very common to have oil usage during the first OCI when switching brands. If you had always used Valvoline Synpower then switched to "Mobile 1" you might have seen the same problem.

Didn't a BITOGr (either Buster or JAG) run a comparison test and Valv. Synth was one of the oils, and the stuff burned off big time (and fast if I remember correctly) ??

Chuck, that 2001 RX300 engine is a known oil abuser. If you need details, let me know. That same engine is in the 2001 Sienna - where it really caused even more troubles - perhaps due to the weight of the Sienna, the wind drag, the number of occupants, the driving style of soccer moms, or ??

My 1992 sonoma use to burn about 1/2-1 quart of quakerstate every 3k miles. I now use valvoline maxlife in my 2002 sonoma and it does not burn a drop in 3k. Ill never use QS again.

I love how people have one poor experience with an oil and write it off for all cars in the future. If I understand correctly every car treats oil differently and it is important to find what works in each particular car. I have had no problems in my car running SynPower but "Mobile 1" always has burn off to the tune of ~1qt per 5000mi.

Jon

1 qt./100 miles is horrible.
Almost inconceivable when there was NO oil use before.
Maybe the drain plug or filter was leaking with that particular oil change.

I was going for the sarcastic approach on my post, but didnt do a good job at it. Ive used QS for a long time and everything was fine. The only reason I switched to Valvoline Maxlife was because I did not not like the slick 50 in the QS HM oil.

Quote:

I was going for the sarcastic approach on my post, but didnt do a good job at it. Ive used QS for a long time and everything was fine. The only reason I switched to Valvoline Maxlife was because I did not not like the slick 50 in the QS HM oil.

I thought I sensed some sarcasm in that post, so I kept my mouth shut. Glad to see I was able to read it correctly
tounge2.gif

I too do not use Slick 50.(Or oil that contains it.) Leave the teflon for the frying pan. It does not belong in an engine!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back