JUST changed my oil filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
well, it all started when I went for an oil change.
At pennzoil(high mileage oil) but i made a mistake, I ordered tghe 5 minuite engine flush. But anyways I think we all know they use fram filters.
WELL the filter i saw was WAY WAY too small.. so 3000km into the oci I decided to switch it to the bigger, and better wix.
Now get this, after taking the filter off the regular oil kinda dropped out.. but this oil had CLUMPS of CARBON and SLUDGE as the oil that poured out was horrible!
So from the oil that was lost, I also added a bottle of CD-2 to my oil.And replaced with the bigger, better wix filter.
Wow, am i happy i changed the filter.
crushedcar.gif

Anyways, sorry for grammor.
Dino
canada.gif

Well, about 3000 km's ago I went for an oil change at the 10 minuite pennzoil. I ordered a High mileage package, and the quick 10 minuite engine flush. Later I realized the filter they put on was WAY too small compared to the wix filter i own. So I decided to change the oil filter.
When i took it off, CLUMPS of CARBON fell dropped out of the oil filter distributor. Now I realize why they say not to use those 10 minuite engine flushes on high mileage engines. Anyways to top off the oil that was in the filter I threw in a bottle of CD-2 oil detergent and replaced the wix filter.
By the way, pennzoil filters are made by fram.

What motor with what mileage?
I have almost the opposite story with ARX. I added to
a dirty 140K miles tercel and after about 800 miles checked to see if I has a mess as the filter was the small toyota one and I had two oversized ones on the shelf for ARX. Yje filter I pulled looked good enough to go 1500 miles on the clean cycle.

Are you sure they replaced the filter after flushing your motor? Maybe the deposits that the flush removed from your motor were just recirculating for a long time, or caught in your filter for a long time. That's probably what caused the problem, not the fact that it's a high mileage engine. Glad you caught it when you did though!

Third, thanks for the input.
Well before the oil and filter change they added the flush. So the old filter would be collecting the crud.
I guess the new one caught the "loose" stuff!
I'm going to run the CD-2 for quite a while.. rather than the rislone I chose ealier.

Yep, I think they didn't let the engine completely flush itself before they installed your new filter, and you were running around with loose deposits for a while. It's best (from what I gather) to flush your motor with a new oil filter, then replace that oil filter after the flush, then put your new oil in and another new filter.

No offense, and I'm certainly not flaming anyone, but what's the deal with these "engine flushes" anyhow?

For the life of me, I can't understand why anyone needs these things. Just change your oil and filter in a sensible time/mileage OCI and this should never be an issue. Right? Or am I wrong?

Now, I could possibly understand using Auto RX if it's an older car and you haven't owned it or been privy to the maintenance of the engine.

the oil filter that pennzoil put in clean out most of those "loose deposits" and the new Kralinator (WIX) filter which is 2x the size of the pennzoil filter should filter out the rest. And the CD-2 adds more disperants. Which will help hold more carbon until it is filtered or drained.
RATHER than flushing it again, with this current filter
I wouldnt like to clog any oilways.(already took that risk)
once again, CD-2 will clean things up.
http://www.turtlewax.com/main.taf?p=2,2,2,6

astrovic, Lots of people do proper oci's but get sludge in their engine. These engine flushes, even though harmful do remove sludge. For the most part it's just solvents.
Stuff like CD-2 and Rislone are just extra detergents and disperants to help clean up.

The main reason why i'm considering a flush is because I had a leaky seal that i'm going to be replacing, and I have no idea how long it's leaked for. I just acquired the car in January with a relatively unknown history except for the fact that it was owned by a 73-year-old lady who claimed to have had it serviced regularly at the Acura dealer. I peered in through the oil cap and it seems surprisingly clean in there, but I heard it was recommended to do before switching to synthetic, which I plan on doing.

Thirdye, don't use a solvent flush.
Try Rislone or CD-2 for atleast one oci with a high mileage oil, and it will most likely fix your leak. After this you should be able to switch back to whatever oil without a problem.
(solvent flushes are not a good idea)
just my 2c

Well i'm already planning on replacing the cam plug (which is causing the leak), and also the valve cover gasket when I take off the valve cover and the spark plug rings and the spark plugs. I think that if the rest of my engine is as clean as it looked under the cap, I might pass on the flush and just try going right to the synthetic and see how my engine handles it.

Good idea
Just for the record.
IMO snake oils are #@$%!.(slick 50)(puregold) (duralube)(tufoil)
BUT some "additives" ARE ok to use, like CD-2 and Rislone.
***JUST MY OPINION***
I'll post my results&pictures of the filter with CD-2
after get the filter removed. And see how well it did

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back