How much ZDDP in new 15-40 Delo LE?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've looked and looked on the forums for this and haven't found it. I thought somebody else might have asked so if it's already been posted somewhere just point me to the thread.
Thanks

usa2.gif

Is the new Delo rated SM? I saw some SM HDEO of some sort the other day that was API SM. If so, it's light on the ZDDP, under 800PPM? Someone correct me if I'm wrong. That ZDDP content standard may also be GF4.

Quote:

Is the new Delo rated SM? I saw some SM HDEO of some sort the other day that was API SM. If so, it's light on the ZDDP, under 800PPM? Someone correct me if I'm wrong. That ZDDP content standard may also be GF4.

YOU'RE WRONG. The SM rating in other than the GF-4 grades has NO phosphorous limits, thus NO ZDDP limit.

Delo 15w40 LE will have about 1200ppm of ZDDP.

http://www.chevron.com/products/prodserv/nafl/auto/docs/Chev_CJ4_faq.pdf

Chevron Delo 400 LE SAE 15W-40 meets: • API Service Categories CJ-4, CI-4 PLUS, CI-4, CH-4, CF, SM, SL • ACEA European Service Categories E-7 •

TYPICAL TEST DATA
SAE Grade 15W-40
Product Number 222220
MSDS Number 17108
API Gravity 29.1
Viscosity, Kinematic cSt at 40°C 125, cSt at 100°C 15.7
Cold Crank, C/Poise -20/64
Viscosity Index 131
Flash Point, °C(°F) 204(399)
Pour Point, °C(°F) -30(-22)
Sulfated Ash, wt % 1.0
Base Number, ASTM D 2896 9.6
Sulfur, wt % 0.32
Phosphorus, wt % 0.12
Zinc, wt % 0.13

Quote:

Quote:

Ok, ok, I'm wrong! I said I might be..

But, at least it inspired the aquisition of the CORRECT answer..

YOU'RE WRONG. The SM rating in other than the GF-4 grades has NO phosphorous limits, thus NO ZDDP limit.

laugh.gif

Quote:

Question:
What is API CJ-4 and what is different about it?
Answer:
The EPA has mandated changes for 2007 diesel engines and API CJ-4 is the corresponding diesel oil specification. CJ-4 is [an improvement over the previous CI-4 Plus API specification, although chemical limitations have been put in place for CJ-4. The reason for these chemical limitations has to do with the fact that 2007 diesel engines have a new device on the exhaust system. This new device is called a diesel particulate filter (DPF) which is designed to greatly reduce particulate emissions of diesel engines. Sulfated ash, phosphorus, and sulfur additives have been limited

Quote:

Why is DEO more expensive than other AMSOIL diesel oils?
Answer:
It is more expensive because the new additives used to replace zinc and phosphorus cost more. Additionally, supplemental dispersants and anti-oxidants are included to meet the API CJ-4 criteria.

Just the low sulfated ash formulation will contain lower ZDDP but for this oil your fine.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

laugh.gif

I'm just disappointed I didn't teach you better.
wink.gif
grin.gif

Quote:

Just the low sulfated ash formulation will contain lower ZDDP but for this oil your fine.

Fine for what? And 15w-40 Delo LE IS the low ash formulation.

BFD on the ZDDP reduction, %0.148 versus %0.13, considering the other improvements made.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

laugh.gif

I'm just disappointed I didn't teach you better.
wink.gif
grin.gif

What you all taught me was I don't KNOW every fergin thang on this stuff. I thought I was a pretty knock-around guy on the subject having maintained most of my cars over 250K, dancing on the flight decks in support of NAVAIR for six and a half years and a lifetime of tinkering with everything from old mowers when I was 8 to airplanes on up to the stuff I do now, but the chemistry and philosophy behind it all, the educated parts, I never really considered much til I found BITOG. Like most folks here, I know a little something of many things, but not EVERYTHING about any one thing.

Hence, the qualification that ZDDP-content of 800PPM might just be ILSAC. If you asked most folks right here, point blank, the GF4 limit to zinc, and why there IS a limit, without looking it up, they'd go, HUH? I must have read here for maybe a year and a half before I ever registered and posted my first STOOPID comment. I qualify everything, and invite correction to anything.

Kinda scary some of the noobs lately, 427, the stuff they out with, and they have never read a word of the wisdom contained within these here pages before they start in on the old heads. Next thing you know, they're contradicting countless folks like Terry Dyson and his posts, MolaKule, the good Dr. Hass, RayH, EK, and yes, 427, even YOU, the learned folks that have FORGOTTEN more about this stuff than the rest will ever know, most of which they got from the aforementioned participants.
patriot.gif
I mean, how the hail do you argue the points of our Mr. Dyson with any authority? Yet you can find some ridiculous responses to his writings in this venue. And they don't dispute just Terry, either. Preposterous. Instead of picking the more knowledgeable folks' brains apart about this stuff, they argue GrandPa's viewpoints from 50 years ago, which were as wrong then as they are now.

There's always someone who knows more. THAT I was taught by my old man, a lesson sometimes (out of necessity) reinforced by a smack in the head..
bop.gif
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back