Rural King Full Synthetic House Brand

Status
Not open for further replies.
?? This is my EXPERIENCE! Rural King (RK) had a heck of a Sale on their house brand Full Synthetic Oil (FSO). I changed some of the vehicles in my family's fleet. 1. My 97 S10 2.2 engine. Had not used any oil in about 3,000 miles since I got a Valve pan gasket leak fixed. Changed oil and filter to RK 15-30 FSO. Result 2200 miles it was below the stick, no oil showing. 2. My daughters Pontiac EOTECH engine G6 125,000 miles. I have done all the oil changes and oil checking for last 2 years. It used a quart and a half on 5,000 mile oil changes. Changed it to RK FSO 5-15 or whatever the engine oil cap said. Result, My GRANDSON (proud of the boy) checked his moms oil at 3,200 miles and NONE ON THE STICK. My Dodge Charger 84,000 miles, probably consumed a quart before on 6,000 mile oil change. Has the 3.5 engine not the Junk 2.7. Changed to RK FSO 10-30. Result. 3,300 miles I heard rattling lifters and stopped and pulled the stick. I walked 2 blocks and spent $7.00 a quart for 2 quarts of Junk Oil at a quick stop to get it home. That brought it up on the stick, so it was down to what, less than 2 quarts in the engine. Good thing I was driving or the engine would have been TOAST. NOTE I been around a while. I had the same experience with Mobil One when it first came out. A lot of other people did too, Result Mobil changed the formula of their oil to stop the high consumption. By they way this is my first post, I looked this site up to post this and see if anyone else has had this Real pROBLEM????
confused2.gif
confused2.gif
confused2.gif
confused2.gif
confused2.gif
confused2.gif

r

k anyone else had this problem.

Have not seen that complaint on here. Lots of folks scoop up rural king oil when its on sale.

Are you sure you matched the same oil weight to what you had been using? Were you running a conventinal before?

Are you seeing oil leaking on the bottom side of the engine?

Are you seeng blue/white smoke when you gun the gas?

Lastly, did you switch back to your old oil and the consumption rates went back to normal?

There have been reports of engines using oil when switching over to M1, PP or PUP etc. After a few intervals it should subside. Hard to beat the deal for $9.99/jug.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
There have been reports of engines using oil when switching over to M1, PP or PUP etc. After a few intervals it should subside. Hard to beat the deal for $9.99/jug.

Hard to beat.? Are you joking?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: salesrep

I'm sure you're a little biased because of the oil you sell.
smirk.gif

Originally Posted By: salesrep

I'm sure the oil you peddle isn't a better deal.

When one is going thru that much oil, free would be a bad deal.

Can you send him some complimentary samples of the oil you sell? And will see how much it burns with that oil.

Back to solving the problem. Seems odd to be using this much oil in such a variety of engines. I wonder if you just got a bad batch.

Last edited:
Your claims seem very uncommon, and I hope as a first time poster you are not exaggerating or trolling. I have had increased consumption in a $40K car when switched to QSUD. It happens and usually evens itself out over one or two intervals.

One thing is sure: Rural King does NOT sell full synthetic in 15-30 or 5-15 multi-grades. The RK brand was made by Warren Oil Co. in Dunn, NC and has since been replaced by the Harvest King brand, made by Citgo. Which did you use and are your complaints really valid?

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
Your claims seem very uncommon, and I hope as a first time poster you are not exaggerating or trolling. I have had increased consumption in a $40K car when switched to QSUD. It happens and usually evens itself out over one or two intervals.

One thing is sure: Rural King does NOT sell full synthetic in 15-30 or 5-15 multi-grades. The RK brand was made by Warren Oil Co. in Dunn, NC and has since been replaced by the Harvest King brand, made by Citgo. Which did you use and are your complaints really valid?

The way it reads to me is he used the recommended oil by the cap but probably mistyped the grade in the post. That’s al I got

Also, glad to hear about the increased oil consumption evening out after a few OCIs. I was a little perturbed initially with the oil changes in my three vehicles after switching them to “good” oils and filters

Last edited:
I'm using the Citgo sourced Harvest King Full Synthetic 5w-20 in a 2011 Ford Fusion 2.5, and the Citgo sourced Harvest King Synthetic Blend 5w-30 in a 2004 Chevy Silverado 5.3.

I just checked the Silverado this morning, and after 1000 miles, it has not moved on the stick (this is the first run of this oil in this engine). In addition, I've not had to add any top off oil to the Fusion on multiple 5,000 mile change intervals.

Yes, the earlier Rural King (RK) oil was sourced from Warren Oil, and unless there was a freaky bad batch, is a quality oil as well.

Here is a test of the earlier Warren sourced Rural King 5w-30 conventional. There is nothing here that would show any issues.
http://www.pqiadata.org/RK5W30.html

Sorry to learn of your issues, but it is nothing that I've seen in my experience with the Citgo sourced oils.

My car subsisted entirely on TGMO for about its first 52,000 miles, when I switched to Rural King (not Harvest King) synthetic 0W-20. Guess what?! The engine continued running and sounding the same, and its oil consumption remained very low.

Hard to understand how switching to a different brand in the same grade would cause a sudden increase in oil consumption.
I've heard of folks claiming that changing brand brings an increase in oil consumption, but I've never seen this and there's no reason that anyone would.
Let's see, same basestocks with the same adds but a different label bring sharply higher oil consumption?
Not doubting your experience, but I can't find any good reason that this would happen.

Originally Posted By: aray

1) Changed oil and filter to RK 15-30
2) 5-15 or whatever the engine oil cap said.
3) Changed to RK FSO 10-30.
4) NOTE I been around a while.

1) No such thing as 15-30
2) No such thing as 5-15
3) No such thing as 10-30 (there is a 10W-30)
4) sure..................

My Personal experience with "Harvest King" DEXOS approved 5W-20 full synthetic is no oil consumption issues.

Originally Posted By: Linctex

1) Changed oil and filter to RK 15-30 ...

1) No such thing as 15-30 ...

5) No such thing as RK filter.

Troll

Originally Posted By: CR94
Originally Posted By: Linctex

1) Changed oil and filter to RK 15-30 ...

1) No such thing as 15-30 ...

5) No such thing as RK filter.

Troll

Not saying that this whole thing isn't the work of a troll... However, before Prime Guard (current), and EcoGard, they did have a all white filter with some black printing that was labelled as being a Rural King filter. This would have been around 2013-2014.

Now, they simply carry Prime Guards, and sell them for $1.99.

I've been using the harvest king 0w-20 in my wife's 2013 civic for the last 40,000 miles and have not noticed any difference from the mobile 1 I was using before, except $9.99 vs. $26. I change oil around every 9k, that's when oil change light usually comes on. Car just turned 100k.

smile.gif
CORRECTION on Rural King House Brand (Harvest King) Full Synthetic OIL (FSO). I am not a guy Who Blows and Goes. I posted the experience below. It was true. Must have been a bad batch or oil. I TESTED it again in my 2.2 Cavalier daily driver. NOW 6,000 miles on a Harvest King 15W30 oil change and it has used/seeped less than a 1/2 Quart. I am going back to HK for all my fleet on the next oil change. $12.99 a gallon verses $21.00 for Mobil One. MORE REALLY GOOD results. Had a head gasket leaking on the 2.2 Cavalier with 10,800 miles on rebuild. Engine was rebuilt (honed the cylinder out and installed new rings). When we pulled the head off you could still see the Hone Marks in every cylinder. 10,000 miles and no wear visible cylinder wear. I EAT MY CROW and POUR IN HARVEST KING.

?? This is my EXPERIENCE! Rural King (RK) had a heck of a Sale on their house brand Full Synthetic Oil (FSO). I changed some of the vehicles in my family's fleet. 1. My 97 S10 2.2 engine. Had not used any oil in about 3,000 miles since I got a Valve pan gasket leak fixed. Changed oil and filter to RK 15-30 FSO. Result 2200 miles it was below the stick, no oil showing. 2. My daughters Pontiac EOTECH engine G6 125,000 miles. I have done all the oil changes and oil checking for last 2 years. It used a quart and a half on 5,000 mile oil changes. Changed it to RK FSO 5-15 or whatever the engine oil cap said. Result, My GRANDSON (proud of the boy) checked his moms oil at 3,200 miles and NONE ON THE STICK. My Dodge Charger 84,000 miles, probably consumed a quart before on 6,000 mile oil change. Has the 3.5 engine not the Junk 2.7. Changed to RK FSO 10-30. Result. 3,300 miles I heard rattling lifters and stopped and pulled the stick. I walked 2 blocks and spent $7.00 a quart for 2 quarts of Junk Oil at a quick stop to get it home. That brought it up on the stick, so it was down to what, less than 2 quarts in the engine. Good thing I was driving or the engine would have been TOAST. NOTE I been around a while. I had the same experience with Mobil One when it first came out. A lot of other people did too, Result Mobil changed the formula of their oil to stop the high consumption. By they way this is my first post, I looked this site up to post this and see if anyone else has had this Real pROBLEM????
confused2.gif
confused2.gif
confused2.gif
confused2.gif
confused2.gif
confused2.gif

r

k anyone else had this problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back