2013 Lexus ES 350 91k History Unknown? 0w-20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I am a new member who has enjoyed reading here for years, but only just joined.

My Daughter has a 2013 Lexus ES 350. Think its the same engine the V6 Toyota Camry used in 3.5 V6.
The car has 91k she just got it as a 2nd car, and looking back the previous owners may have only taken it to Quick Oil change places, that it lacks service History of Maintenance and oil changes, so I dont know.

After much reading and research of the 0w-20 Synthetic oils i decided to do a due change with Pennzoil Ultra 0w-20. But to my dismay, it running near $130 for 5 quarts to $23 per quart for some strange reason and rare to find. So much for that.

My latest research has me narrowing down to:

1. Mobile 1 EP 0w-20
2. Toyota 0w-20
3. Penzzoil Platinum 0w-20

And the Fram Ultra or Toyota Factory Filter.

I am also wondering if I should add a cleaner, or something to help also due to the unknown of the oil change history. Or run a high Mileage oil. I know the standard answer is what ever is the best price at WM, but I'm looking for help due to the situation. Thanks in advance for experienced help.

Last edited:
Unless sludge is truly severe, the best cleaner is regular oil changes and good tune-up. Running any of those oils you listed to only the factory interval should allow good, yet gradual cleaning of the engine.

You can run any major brand of oil that meets Toyota’s specs for that car with confidence. Ultra is a overpriced albino deer. I’m surprised you found any. The Pennzoil Platinum is a good oil for much less.

What kind of driving scenario are we looking at here? Miles annually? Ratio of city to highway? Is she a leadfoot or a feather foot? Those answers will help to develop a oil change schedule and narrow down oil choices as well.

Those 3.5L V6's aren't known for sludging as were the 1MZFE(3.0L V6).Your daughter could drive this car forever with decent maintenance. Most any oil will work in these engines.

Last edited:
Even quick lubes would at least be using a quality 0W-20, so assuming this is the case, any of the above 3 you mentioned at 5k intervals should suffice.

Cleaners or additives are generally not needed if you are using a quality synthetic. I would stay away from those types of products.

No Extra cleaners are needed. Any of the oils you have listed will be fine.

I'm currently using Pennzoil Platinum in my rides and I prefer it. The OEM filter is good, Ultra is even better. People are doing 10,000 mile OCI, not sure what your choice of OCI will be.

Thank you. So driving is not so much Highway, more around town, Average driving some calm cursing 70%, some lead foot 30%. Likely 15k - 20k per year maybe? Will be putting on road 1 time for 6 hour trip Wed Eve.

I'm thinking running the Pennziol Plat 0w20 at 1st. With ? Toyota, or Fram UG filter?
Maybe 2 changes with the Pennzoil, and or a New filter change only (no new oil), at 5k 2 times. Then just run the Toyota 0w-20, with either filter, likely the Toyota Filter.

She has put about 5k miles on it Herself since she bought it ( with unknown oil or last change, got that way). I just saw the car for the 1st time and learned of the lacking history. And that She has not changed the oil from when She got it. I checked it, looked yellow ( kinda midway clean), (kinda midway getting dirty).

I drove it a day, and noticed a little very slight clacking, muffled tapping. Could be normal Japanese like, or sign needs changing now? Not very loud at all.

Im going to change it on this Tue anyway. Going to:
-Put new Toyota Air Filter in.
-BG Combustion Cleaner gas additive. (Run through before I put New plugs in)
-New Toyota Spec Spark Plugs. (and clean Throttle Body, & MAFS) Intake Plenum has to be remove to do back plugs anyway.
-Oil & Filter Pennzoil & Toyota Filter??

Questions, which would you Guy use if you?

1. Would my best thinking be the Pennzoil Plat 0w-20 (clean better?) with the Toyota or Fram filter
2. Also would adding a little Tranny Fluid to old oil, a day before oil change running 20 miles or so help clean a little before the dump of old oil?

Last edited:
welcome2.gif

A car that new with 91k on it probably means mostly highway miles, which are easier on oil, so it shouldn't be that bad.

Any of the oils you listed are fine. I think Toyota's recommendation is 10k on syn, 5k on dino. There is M1 HM 0w20, and I think there's a Pennzoil Platinum HM 0w20. Castrol Edge is also a good quality synthetic worth using.

Those "cleaner" additives are useless.

Mahle makes the best cartridge filters for these Toyota applications. Part number OX414D1

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Those 3.5L V6's aren't known for sledging as were the 1MZFE(3.0L V6).Your daughter could drive this car forever with decent maintenance. Most any oil will work in these engines.

Thank you for mentioning this, being a long time Toyota/Lexus & Honda/Acura Guy, the past Toyota/Lexus V6 engine problem remains in my head.

Also with that, if my research is correct, Mobile 1 makes the New Toyota oil 0w-20 to Toyota's requested specs. Makes me wonder if the Toyota oil does better cleaning, due to the older 3.0 V6 problems, which I think were related to oil jets being very small and clogging on on the older 3.0 V6's.

You're making this too hard. Your daughter has bought a very reliable vehicle.

Change the oil soon (as you don't know when it was changed last) and use an oil that meets the specs in the owner's manual. Change at the interval recommended (in the manual or by the oil life monitor if there is one). Use brand name or OEM filters. No need for high mileage products as it is barely broke in. Done.

Originally Posted By: ecotourist
You're making this too hard. Your daughter has bought a very reliable vehicle.

Change the oil soon (as you don't know when it was changed last) and use an oil that meets the specs in the owner's manual. Change at the interval recommended (in the manual or by the oil life monitor if there is one). Use brand name or OEM filters. No need for high mileage products as it is barely broke in. Done.

No I'm just asking from the experienced, so that I do whats best, not...... just what I think. I don't know if the car has only had 2 or 3 oil changes in its whole 91k life so far or what? So please be patience with me and allow me to learn and seek advise on my thoughts. There are people out there that do neglect.

I really appreciate any and all input. Thanks.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
welcome2.gif

A car that new with 91k on it probably means mostly highway miles, which are easier on oil, so it shouldn't be that bad.

Any of the oils you listed are fine. I think Toyota's recommendation is 10k on syn, 5k on dino. There is M1 HM 0w20, and I think there's a Pennzoil Platinum HM 0w20. Castrol Edge is also a good quality synthetic worth using.

Those "cleaner" additives are useless.

Mahle makes the best cartridge filters for these Toyota applications. Part number OX414D1

The Mahle I've heard of for German cars. In your opinion you think its even better filtering than the Fram UG?

One idea would be to have a sample of the current oil in the engine analyzed. It will just be a snapshot but could give some clues and answers to your questions.

You have the 2gr motor in that car. Very reliable and durable. It'll be happy with pretty much any oil.

These are becoming increasing popular to swap into mr2s like mine. Most people with these swaps run 0w20 in Pennzoil platinum flavor and seem to have great results. These engines in the swapped cars are beat far harder than your daughter will drive the lexus, and so far we have not seen a failure. Excellent engines.

Originally Posted By: jgscott
I don't know if the car has only had 2 or 3 oil changes in its whole 91k life so far or what? So please be patience with me and allow me to learn and seek advise on my thoughts. There are people out there that do neglect.

If you really want to know if the engine is sludged take off a valve cover and look. If you do, post some photos.

But I'll bet it isn't. Fairly clean oil after your daughter has been driving it for a while suggests it had an oil change not that long ago and the engine was fairly clean at the time. If the oil was black as tar, milky or lumpy you'd have something to worry about.

In summary - Your daughter has bought a quality car with a reliable engine. If you really want to see if the engine is sludged take a look. Otherwise: change the oil soon, use a brand name oil that meets the specs in the manual, use brand name filters, change the oil at reasonable intervals, enjoy.

Hey thanks to everybody help here. You Guys are the Best! I love this site.

So after all the reading and thinking everybody's going to say: Just go to Walmart and get the best deal, which I didn't want to hear. Guess what I came up with as the best thing to do?

I went to WM and got Pennzoil Platinum 0-w20 High Mileage $22 buck for 5 gals plus 2 more for $6 buck each, and a $8 Fram Ultra Synthetic Filter. Go Figure. LOL!

Will be changing it Tomorrow a.m. and going to send the old oil out for analysis.

Can wait to tell the next Newbie to just go to WM and get blah, blah, blah, whatevers on sale at the best Price! LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back