14' JGC with the pentastar 3.6L

Status
Not open for further replies.
specs 5w20...does anybody have some knowledge on this engine. would I be safe running 0w20? manual just specs 5w20.. is this v6 hard on oil?

I'm not aware of any 5w-20 that can't take a 0w-20.

The 0w just means it doesn't get as thick as the 5w when very cold, (which is a good thing).

Originally Posted By: SEMI_287
Run a MS-6395 oil while in warranty. No 0w20 carries that spec that I'm aware of, unfortunately.

That is correct. IIRC none of the Mobil products meet the spec either.

If "MS-6395" 5w20 is readily available for you, why not use it. If not, I certainly wouldn't sweat it. I've yet to hear of a lubrication related issue with a Pentastar, or any warranty concern where this particular oil spec was brought up.

I have no idea for sure, but most Dode/Chrysler/Jeep dealer bulk oil tanks, or what ever Kwiki-Loob you might choose probably don't contain the stuff anyway.

FWIW, I run Napa full synthetic 5w20 in my 2013's Pentastar. Like said, 0w20 will be a similar oil at operating temp, and will be a better cold-start oil. The last thing I'd worry about is the MS-6395 thing.

Last edited:
I use QSUD 5w-20 and an oe filter in our 2014 200s with the 3.6L motor. The 3.6L motor runs great and is very quiet. No oil consumption at all between changes and I just use the OLM.

Originally Posted By: JTK
If "MS-6395" 5w20 is readily available for you, why not use it. If not, I certainly wouldn't sweat it. I've yet to hear of a lubrication related issue with a Pentastar, or any warranty concern where this particular oil spec was brought up.

I have no idea for sure, but most Dode/Chrysler/Jeep dealer bulk oil tanks, or what ever Kwiki-Loob you might choose probably don't contain the stuff anyway.

FWIW, I run Napa full synthetic 5w20 in my 2013's Pentastar. Like said, 0w20 will be a similar oil at operating temp, and will be a better cold-start oil. The last thing I'd worry about is the MS-6395 thing.

Yeah, your probably right the salesman was showing us their oil/filter rates and had a picture of a kendall bottle on it.

Originally Posted By: subaroo
specs 5w20...does anybody have some knowledge on this engine. would I be safe running 0w20? manual just specs 5w20.. is this v6 hard on oil?

As usual, bitogers are not answering OP's question, which was "is it safe to run 0w20". The question was NOT "is there a 0w20 that meets Chrysler specification", or "will I have warranty issues using 0w20".

The answer is: yes your engine will be safe on 0w20.

It is common courtesy to answer a question before discussing the ramifications.
Have some courtesy people.

BE ADVISED this information is FALSE. Mobil 1 doesn't meet the MS-6395 SPEC. MS5K DOES MEET THE MS-6395. Run PYB or PP 5w20 and forget about it. Use with confidence and sleep well at night.

Originally Posted By: Kuato

As usual, bitogers are not answering OP's question, which was "is it safe to run 0w20". The question was NOT "is there a 0w20 that meets Chrysler specification", or "will I have warranty issues using 0w20".

I guess that depends on what you consider safe. If I were asking for an oil recommendation on a brand new vehicle I would only consider oils that won't void my warranty as safe.

He asked people's OPINIONS on whether it would be safe. Most people here recognize that the people that know his engine best are the engineers who built it. They said use 5w-20 so we're echoing their recommendation. You shouldn't jump down people's throats for trying to help him out.

I have a 14' 3.6 JGC, too. As long as MOPAR offers their 4 oil and filter changes for $65 (good at any dealer), I'll take advantage. I can't change it for that cheap, myself.

I always check their work.

Originally Posted By: jkasch
I have a 14' 3.6 JGC, too. As long as MOPAR offers their 4 oil and filter changes for $65 (good at any dealer), I'll take advantage. I can't change it for that cheap, myself.

Where is that deal at?

Originally Posted By: glock19

I guess that depends on what you consider safe. If I were asking for an oil recommendation on a brand new vehicle I would only consider oils that won't void my warranty as safe.

He asked people's OPINIONS on whether it would be safe. Most people here recognize that the people that know his engine best are the engineers who built it. They said use 5w-20 so we're echoing their recommendation. You shouldn't jump down people's throats for trying to help him out.

Heh, not jumping down people's throat, just saying that it's another thread where people are jumping all over what has been asked about, and failing to answer the question posed.

I agree that "safe" could certainly mean "safe for warranty", but the way subaroo worded it apparently meant "safe for my engine"; but if he'd meant "safe for warranty" wouldn't he have mentioned warranty. It's semantics, but I'm sure you may have noticed that there are MANY times on this site where the OP's question isn't answered and they are browbeaten with facts(and opinion, and conjecture).

All I'm saying is: at least answer the question before you jump all over other aspects of what was suggested.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wymi516
Originally Posted By: jkasch

Where is that deal at?

It was offered by my dealership where purchased the vehicle. After a couple trips I decided their service dept. sucks and now take it to a different dealership. They honor it, as will all Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep dealers. My receipt is on MOPAR letterhead but I don't even have to present it because "it's in the system."

Originally Posted By: glock19

Heh, not jumping down people's throat, just saying that it's another thread where people are jumping all over what has been asked about, and failing to answer the question posed.

I agree that "safe" could certainly mean "safe for warranty", but the way subaroo worded it apparently meant "safe for my engine"; but if he'd meant "safe for warranty" wouldn't he have mentioned warranty. It's semantics, but I'm sure you may have noticed that there are MANY times on this site where the OP's question isn't answered and they are browbeaten with facts(and opinion, and conjecture).

All I'm saying is: at least answer the question before you jump all over other aspects of what was suggested.

Fair enough. I can see how we may have interpreted that question differently. I do agree that a lot of threads turn into a browbeating but I try to believe it's in an honest effort to help.

OP - To get back on track, only your warranty will care about the difference between 0 and 5 weight. The engine will be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back