Rotella T6 5W40 in 2013 Passat 2.5L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im due for service and picked up 3 jugs of Rotella T6 because it was on sale. My Passat has 22,000kms, still under warranty. First OC was at the dealer at 5000kms with Castrol SLX.

I know Rotella T6 is a good oil and probably more than acceptable for the 2.5L but will I have issues with VW? I dont see a VW spec on the bottle.

thanks

Do you not get the 24months/24,000 mile free maintenance? And I would stick with VW approved oils for now. VW does, and can, deny warranty claims. Just ask anyone that dealt with the old longitudinal 1.8Ts

It's not a VW approved oil. It would certainly work, but while you're under warranty I would just stick with a VW 502/505 oil: M1 0w40, Valvoline SynPower 5w40, Castrol Edge 0w30/5w40/0w40, etc.

I would use VW approved oils during the warranty period then maybe go with the Rotella T6 if that is what you want to try.

Cheers
B

Originally Posted By: izualangel
Do you not get the 24months/24,000 mile free maintenance? And I would stick with VW approved oils for now. VW does, and can, deny warranty claims. Just ask anyone that dealt with the old longitudinal 1.8Ts

Thanks to all that replied...I will pick up some VW spec oil.

Im in Canada and they do not offer the free maintenance. My first service at 5000kms was complementary by my dealer though.

I'll pile on and repeat what others have said. Stick with a VW spec oil during your warranty period. You have plenty of good ones to choose from (see dparm's list above). T6 does not carry VW approvals, but it will work great after your warranty expires. VW can be difficult to deal with in warranty claim situations, and you don't want to give them a certain excuse to evade liability.

if the oil causes an issue its up to VW to prove it BY LAW! as long as you document + keep receipts you are good, and yes depending on the stealer VW can + will deny warranty. oil manufacturers must pay for every certification on the oil container. on my 01 1.8T i would get the free service come home + dump oil in a clean container for use in girlfriends 99 malibu, put amsoil real synthetic in, this is before VW specd synthetic for their turbo'd cars, went 200,000 before trade no issues. used 10-30 amsoil in girlfriends 08 jetta 2.5L changed yearly, filter at 6 months no issues. 2.5L is only VW i would buy today, no direct injected CARBON issues, she averaged 30 mpg

Originally Posted By: benjy
if the oil causes an issue its up to VW to prove it BY LAW!

I agree with your point, and in practice, you're probably right. But, the MMA is a U.S. law and has no force in Canada. The legal regimes with respect to warranty are much the same in both countries in practice, but I wouldn't want to get in the fight. VW/Audi screw up enough on their own and try to fight enough claims without giving them more justification.

I'd recommend getting an approved oil and doing the changes oneself. VW/Audi dealers have not been above putting 5w-30 GTX in such engines. In that case, the Rotella would be much better.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back