Ultra and Royal Purple

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use Penzoil Ultra 10W-30 in my Focus after break in. How does it compare to Royal Purple 10W-30?

Thanks in advance,

kajunman

Is there a VOA of the SN starburst RP? I searched the VOA section and found SL and SM (Synerlec formula). I just wonder if the newest SN RP is anything special additive wise.

A buddy had a Royal Purple source that was cheap. He used it for quite a while and it was making his engine very dirty.

It is expensive, sulfurous, and has dye needlessly added.

Also, UOA results aren't great. It is a poor value boutique oil.

You are better off with Ultra, or even PP or QSUD.

With due respect to all, clearly know this:

YOU WILL NOT GET FAIR OPINIONS AND INFORMATION ON ROYAL PURPLE HERE AT BITOG.

Through the years, RP is THE most mindlessly bashed product ever here. Didn't you know? RP causes cracked windshields, flat tires and rust on '73 Buicks...

In your application, PU and RP are going to perform similarly. I wouldn't bother with RP unless you get an excellent deal on it.

Is that car actually spec'd for 10w30?

I don't think RP has ANYTHING on PU or M1. Nothing. The only area RP excels is their racing oils and industrial line.

I had a perfect uoa on the old SJ rated RP Synerlec 25W50. My engine sheared the [censored] out of it,but it protected impeccably. Wonder if the non-Synerlec RP is as good?

wc1jqg.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Falken
A buddy had a Royal Purple source that was cheap. He used it for quite a while and it was making his engine very dirty.

You are better off with Ultra, or even PP or QSUD.

crackmeup2.gif

The garbage that gets posted on this forum is unbelievable.

Yup the only good oils are,according to BITOG is:

Mobil 1,PU everything else is just asking for trouble
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: DragRace

The garbage that gets posted on this forum is unbelievable.

Yup the only good oils are,according to BITOG is:

Mobil 1,PU everything else is just asking for trouble
lol.gif

you forgot GC & Amsoil

Originally Posted By: kajunman
I use Penzoil Ultra 10W-30 in my Focus after break in. How does it compare to Royal Purple 10W-30?

Thanks in advance,

kajunman

It depends on what formula of RP you are talking about? There are 3 basic formulas being made now...

API Licensed oils( currently SN )
High Performance Street oils( HPS - similar to the old API SL forumla )
Extreme Performance Racing oils( XPR )

The XPR and HPS are more what people think of when talking about boutique oils like Redline and some of the Amsoil offerings and carry no API certifications. I would put these oils above PU for sure. The API licensed line is more of a premium name brand oil like M1, PU/PP, QS, etc... although for me personally I rank it higher than PU.

Pennzoil Ultra is a very good oil but so is RP API SN. My personal preference would be the RP but if you have been using Pennzoil Ultra and have been happy with it why swap?

One thing for is sure, you have come to the wrong place for feedback on Royal Purple if you want answers that are based on anything that isn't ridiculous from more than 1 or 2 people. 90%+ of the feedback here will be negative and from people who have never used RP. They don't like it because it is purple and because it isn't sold for $20 in 5 gal jugs at Wal-Mart so it has to be bad. You will also hear that there are tons of bad UOA's with it here but that is just untrue.

If you browse the many auto forums out there you will see RP is very highly regarded from folks who actually use it. It is treated like a redheaded stepchild here at BITOG though. For a place supposedly full of intelligent people who know oil you will get a lot of ignorant, foolish, and downright false info on RP here from the naysayers.

Expand your search out to other forums besides BITOG for feedback on RP if you want to get unbiased and factual feedback from actual users.

Last edited:

Wow. What a bunch of horse hooey.
33.gif

^ This

I have nothing against boutique oils, but put up or shut up. Don't show me timken or 4-ball wear tests. Show me something inside an actual engine or show me approvals otherwise it's all marketing. It took Amsoil 7 years since Mobil did their Vegas study to produce a similar study. They even acknowledged the relevance of "real engine" testing.

FWIW, RP's oils contained 3x the allowable amount of sulfur per API guidelines. RP makes some excellent oils, but I don't think they have any advantage over any other brand.

I criticized RL because it barely passed one of the tests required by the API. Isn't that something one should criticize a brand for, especially when paying $11qt and using it in a daily driver?

RP is better than ANY oil that I tested including the M1 SM variant. RP is NEEDLESSLY bashed by the same people that have NEVER used it and only bash it because somebody's uncle's friend's shop mechanic said it wasn't good. TRY USING IT FIRST.
I have used:
GC, M1 SL SM, Castrol Syntec SL 5w30, PU, Valvoline, and Sheafers. The Sheafers was a LOT better than other oil's I've used:
M1=Horrible
GC=ok
Castrol Syntec 5w30 =ok
PU=ok
Valvoline=Horrible
Sheafers= VERY GOOD
RP= excellent
So all you people that have never used it but bad mouthing it..QUIT TALKING OUT YOUR BACK SIDES!

Originally Posted By: DrDusty86
RP is better than ANY oil that I tested including the M1 SM variant. RP is NEEDLESSLY bashed by the same people that have NEVER used it and only bash it because somebody's uncle's friend's shop mechanic said it wasn't good. TRY USING IT FIRST.
I have used:
GC, M1 SL SM, Castrol Syntec SL 5w30, PU, Valvoline, and Sheafers. The Sheafers was a LOT better than other oil's I've used:
M1=Horrible
GC=ok
Castrol Syntec 5w30 =ok
PU=ok
Valvoline=Horrible
Sheafers= VERY GOOD
RP= excellent
So all you people that have never used it but bad mouthing it..QUIT TALKING OUT YOUR BACK SIDES!

How did you test the oils you mentioned?

Originally Posted By: DrDusty86
RP is better than ANY oil
M1=Horrible
GC=ok
Castrol Syntec 5w30 =ok
PU=ok
Valvoline=Horrible
Sheafers= VERY GOOD
RP= excellent

Oh yeah - great data you present there
who is talking out of their backside? - LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back