What is Dexos? And Pennzoil Ultra failed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because the Dexos licensing fee is not cheap, it was confirmed a bit ago by a member talking to pennzoil that Ultra was a 100% PAO oil.

It is defiantly stout enough to pass Dexos1.

Originally Posted By: Brenden
it was confirmed a bit ago by a member talking to pennzoil that Ultra was a 100% PAO oil.

No, it wasn't.

The chat went something like this:

User: does Ultra contain PAO?
Pennzoil: Yes.
User: does Ultra contain GTL?

How one could extrapolate from this that Ultra is 100% PAO, I have no idea. Besides, no oil can be 100% PAO because the additives would not dissolve in it.

Originally Posted By: blackman777
Why does Pennzoil Ultra not pass, but lesser oils like Platinum and Gold (blend) do?

Dexos is a money grab for GM. It does not make sense for oil manufacturer to carry the Dexos logo on oil their products, because that just means they'll have to pay more fees to GM.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
it was confirmed a bit ago by a member talking to pennzoil that Ultra was a 100% PAO oil.

No, it wasn't.

How one could extrapolate from this that Ultra is 100% PAO, I have no idea. Besides, no oil can be 100% PAO because the additives would not dissolve in it.

Hmm I remember a pretty prominent member touting it was 100% PAO and that they confirmed it in chat, I'll take your word for it though.

But none the less, Ultra would pass Dexos if they wanted to licenses it, but the bean counters probably factored in the increase of sales for Ultra from a Dexos cert and it likely fell short of the substantial amount it costs to get it Dexos certified.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm I remember a pretty prominent member touting it was 100% PAO and that they confirmed it in chat, I'll take your word for it though.

The only BITOGer in that chat session was me.
smile.gif

Quote:

But none the less, Ultra would pass Dexos if they wanted to licenses it,

Agreed.

Quattro Pete, Was that discussion in regard to SM or the newer SN formula?

Seems like Trav or someone has been posting Ultra is now all GTL, or something along those lines. Maybe I'm confused on that.

Very good syn whatever it is, would pass Dexos with ease IMO but is also likely a much lower volume oil than PP, doesn't make sense to license it I'd imagine.

Quote:
So can I use Pennzoil Ultra even though it doesn't have the Dexos green symbol?

Not if you want to avoid any potential warranty claim hassles.

Last edited:
Quote:

Agreed, GM would make a stink about it not being Dexos certified, even though it would pass easily.

Stick to using oils clearly labeled with the Dexos cert if you want to hold onto that warranty, and if you change it every 5k or sooner like you stated in your other thread it would be a waste of money to buy a premium synthetic like Ultra.

Agreed, GM would make a stink about it not being Dexos certified, even though it would pass easily.

Stick to using oils clearly labeled with the Dexos cert if you want to hold onto that warranty, and if you change it every 5k or sooner like you stated in your other thread it would be a waste of money to buy a premium synthetic like Ultra.

The only BITOGer in that chat session was me.
smile.gif

Well at least you set me straight hahaha, I swear I read that somewhere in a thread though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: blackman777
Sounds like something to eat. ;-) How did Chevrolet come-up with that name? Why does Pennzoil Ultra not pass, but lesser oils like Platinum and Gold (blend) do?

Are you and KevGuy related?

Pennzoil said in their Q and A that Ultra is a GRP 3 oil. Maybe we need some brand new Q and A sessions
smile.gif

No, it wasn't.

No i didn't say i was talking to them. I said i read it in a chat.
There have been numerous chats on different forums with Pennzoil and in one of them it was confirmed IIRC that it was in fact 100% PAO/GTL base stock.
I thought it was the one on BITOG but i could be wrong.

But here is something to think about. Shell makes their Helix Ultra with product from the same GTL refinery and that is sold in Germany as a full synthetic oil.

I agree it is time for another Pennzoil chat but its not going to happen on BITOG as they are not a sponsor.

I would like to know why additives will not dissolve in a 100% PAO basestock.
If i have made a false statement is was not deliberate and my apologies but its hard to keep track of everything one reads on multiple forums to go back and do the research.
I still believe it to be a true synthetic with no GrpIII.

Trav I saw someone on this board state Ultra was 100% PAO as well. I know it wasn't you and I can't find it. I saw it here recently in fact. The search engine here leaves a lot to the imagination.

RP told me their oil is 100% pao base,with an ester additive (Synerlec),and a dash of grp 2 for a carrier. But this was back before RP took Synerlec out of their street oils.

You're rarely going to get straight answers on base oil blends. Reality is, most oils are blends of multiple synthetic base stocks ranging from Grps III, III+, IV and V. Go by the specifications the oil meets and available PDS info.

PDS info has been Pennzoil's weakness for BITOG crowd.

Ultra is still one of the best oils you can buy.

Helloiam13ttro Pete]
Quote:

[/quote]

This I disagree with because in 2011 the average single lawsuit cost corporations 400K, with a very good possiblity of the corporation of losing the lawsuit. So from a business prospective what makes more sense? Pay for a engine replacement or go to court. Especially if the owner used the highest tier of brand name motor oil and kept accurate records. That case would become a money pit in a hurry.

dave, I don't disagree with you that in the end the customer would prevail. However, in the meantime, while the manufacturer is taking its sweet time to investigate the problem, you the customer may be greatly inconvenienced while the car is sitting in the shop awaiting someone to do something. Is it worth the hassle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back