Oil for new Honda Accord 2013 questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
New to the boards here.

Purchased a 2013 Honda Accord which calls for ow20 oil.

Curious to get some feedback please on which brand oil to use.

Hearing I should not use the Honda oil from some people.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

First and foremost. I will probably get roasted by some for saying this, but do not dump the FF out early. Honda uses a special break-in oil and advises that this oil not be changed until the maintenance minder reaches 15% or lower.

Based on personal experience, expected OCIs will probably be in the 7500 mile range. Generally speaking, any 0W20 will handle the job.

QSUD offers excellent value -- you may want to consider that if cost factor is at the top of the list. TGMO and M1 have received some decent reviews by users on this board.

Change break-in oil at 40%, fill with OEM Synthetic Blend
Change OEM Sythetic Blend at 40%, fill with any flavor sythetic.
Change any flavor synthetic at 40%, fill with same flavor synthetic.
Congrats, break-in is done and you can go to 15% on the OLM

I prefer PP in 0w-20. Sadly there is no PU 0w-20

Ran the CRV FF to 10% OLM, changed to a full syn 5W20, now run the Mazda 0W20 w/ Moly. I the future I will return the least expensive full syn 0W20. I have run a filter magnet from day 1 and Dimple Magnetic Drain plug after first OC. Never had any oil consumption.

Originally Posted By: randomhero439

Honda engenieers would disagree with you. I bought a 2012 Accord and did a ton a reading on the factory fill and it shouuld be left in the engine till the MM tells you to change it. Before this Accord I changed every new car I bought oil at 1,000 miles and again at 3,000 miles. My UOA's always came out perfect. I'll be sending in my Accords factory fill soon. It has 7,700 miles on it and is at 20% on the MM.

This is crazy in a modern car. Violates everything we know about changing FF too early AND assumes we're all the same.

Just a waste.

Wolf99, welcome to BITOG!

Does your new Accord have the 4-cylinder or V-6 engine? For those who weren't aware, the 2013 Accord 4-cylinder engine is now DI and the automatic transmission is a CVT. The V-6 is still EFI with a 6-speed auto.

will be very interesting to see the Honda DI UOA results on fuel dilution.

I would use one of the most readily-available oils out there, Mobil 1 0W-20. It's a high quality oil available at a very reasonable price ($25/jug at Walmart). Some people with Honda 4-cylinder engines (myself included) have noted that the engine seems to run the smoothest and quietest on this oil. Both of my Hondas run best on that oil. Once my stash of Pennzoil is out, I will go back to it.

Welcome to the forum!

Originally Posted By: Sam_Julier
Ran the CRV FF to 10% OLM, changed to a full syn 5W20, now run the Mazda 0W20 w/ Moly. I the future I will return the least expensive full syn 0W20. I have run a filter magnet from day 1 and Dimple Magnetic Drain plug after first OC. Never had any oil consumption.

Umm, filter magnets are only useful as a final warning your engine is kaput. The oil filter will stop anything big enough for the magnet to catch.
I hope the w/ Moly does not mean that snake oil is in use to mess up the fine chemical balance of a good oil's add pack.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

This is crazy in a modern car. Violates everything we know about changing FF too early AND assumes we're all the same.

Just a waste.

Completely agree. Not only that, why are we complicating the break-in process on a vehicle?

For the 2013s, Honda requires 0W20. Lots of options available.

MM consists of all items maintenance-related, not just oil changes. If you do not drive the vehicle much, the manual will indicate what items to do on a yearly basis independent of the MM.

I should have mentioned I do have the 4 cylinder DI CVT in my 13 Accord Sport.

Funny, all the dealers are saying to ignore the % display and change it every 5k including the first oil change.
One would have thought they would have mentioned the break in.

Seems Mobil 1 is the way to go based on your feedback.

Appreciate your opinions.

Originally Posted By: skyship
I hope the w/ Moly does not mean that snake oil is in use to mess up the fine chemical balance of a good oil's add pack.

I believe they were referring to the Mazda 0W-20 "w/ moly" because that's how Mazda advertises this oil..."with moly".

Originally Posted By: wolf99
Funny, all the dealers are saying to ignore the % display and change it every 5k including the first oil change.

If this is what they are telling their customers, you need to find another dealer to go to.

FWIW...

The Honda synthetic oils are excellent.

The bulk oil your Honda dealer uses for their oil changes could be anything supplied by a local vendor of their choice. Maybe not so excellent. This might be why you heard not to use "honda oil".

Personally any 0w-20 you can get would do a decent job. I'm sure you won't make it past 20%, as the MM system can get pretty annoying.

The Honda 0W20 oil is a very good oil. Check with your Honda dealer. I can buy it from my local Honda dealer's bulk supply for $3.41/qt. Hard to beat that deal!!

And follow your owner's manual direction on when to change out the factory fill, don't listen to anyone else...

Last edited:
The honda oil is made by Phillips 66. It is nearly, if not identical to motorcraft and trop artic oils. Excellent oils!

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
will be very interesting to see the Honda DI UOA results on fuel dilution.

Exactly, it could affect the oil selection and desired interval.

Originally Posted By: sir1900
First and foremost. I will probably get roasted by some for saying this, but do not dump the FF out early. Honda uses a special break-in oil and advises that this oil not be changed until the maintenance minder reaches 15% or lower.

+1 This is 100% true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back