Pennzoil sludge cleaning ability

Status
Not open for further replies.
MMO will do it to, add it 500 miles b 4 u change ur oil, u wont have sludge. PS how do u know u have a sludged engined. PS, valvoline, havoline will do the same, ran an o subaru 225k miles, no sludge at all on havoline, go figure.

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
MMO will do it to, add it 500 miles b 4 u change ur oil, u wont have sludge. PS how do u know u have a sludged engined. PS, valvoline, havoline will do the same, ran an o subaru 225k miles, no sludge at all on havoline, go figure.

There's nothing in MMO that suggests it will clean sludge.

Marketing. PYB is a good product though don't get me wrong.
All oils have cleaning agents and when used as intended, will keep your engine at least (fairly) clean inside.

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
Marketing. PYB is a good product though don't get me wrong.
All oils have cleaning agents and when used as intended, will keep your engine at least (fairly) clean inside.

Yes, but Pennzoil specifically says it's oils will clean existing sludge.

More Calcium and Boron detergents. Take a look at Bill in Utah's latest UOA on his Outback - used the latest PYB 10W-30, and it has over 3,000ppm of Ca, and some boron in it's formula.

The thing with sludge is it will be cleaned by most all oils as they all have practically the same detergent packages. One may or may not clean more effectively than the others.

MMO is known to be a light solvent and it will help alleviate some of the gunk in an engine. But time and maintenance are what will prevail on most sludger's.

Pennzoil will not tell you exactly if you asked them a direct question about this.
So we can't possibly do so either!
The new Pennzoil dino and synth Ultra are supposed to be be among the best cleaning oils, and I believe them.

It also claims to clean sludge but it says "up to" meaning it can be up to .01% cleaning for 15%/45% cleaning. Your mileage will vary.

Don't use slogans/marketing, use what works for you and what lets you sleep better at night.

Pennzoil sells the oil that sludges up engines then the platnium that cleans up engines and then the new super clean.

Makes no sense other than profit to sell the cheaper blend.

So Pennzoil will sell you sludge on one end and then sell you super clean on the other end?

This is sort of snake oil sales if you ask me...

Why in 40 years they did not make a better product?

Originally Posted By: addyguy
More Calcium and Boron detergents. Take a look at Bill in Utah's latest UOA on his Outback - used the latest PYB 10W-30, and it has over 3,000ppm of Ca, and some boron in it's formula.

Boron?????

Does this mean they put 20 MuleTeam Borax in their oil?

Originally Posted By: nutsbolts
Pennzoil sells the oil that sludges up engines then the platnium that cleans up engines and then the new super clean.

So Pennzoil will sell you sludge on one end and then sell you super clean on the other end?

Is that sarcasm, or are you just a troll?

I'm hoping to see evidence that Pennzoil does clean sludge at some point. You can say anything you want with marketing if you don't quantify it. Until there is something showing Pennzoil does clean existing sludge in a running, working engine, it is safer to assume it doesn't do any cleaning.

Ok,you have to excuse my ignorance here,but WHAT ??

My 2 posts were all in jest! I use Penzoil Platinum and am totally satisified, and from what I can tell by looking in the filler hole everything is clean as can be. My OCI runs 5,000 miles/6 months on 1 vehicle and 5,000/1 year onthe other, reason for the difference is the 2nd car is stored in the winter and therefore only gets 3 to 4000 miles per year.

It's not just marketing. They are marketing their performance upgrades which for GF-5 include better sludge/deposit control. It's probably a better detergent/dispersant package or somsing like dat.

You think it might be a more solvent type base oil Buster? Aren't there some very highly solvent group III base oils now?

I am sure Johnny would have a different OPINION.

Last edited:
If you use Pennzoil bottom of the barrel oil, you may end up with sludge, yes? They do say the new super clean cleans better than their Platnium, Yes?
I find it strange for a company that advertises the newest oil as the best for an engine, but yet sells an oil that is poorer quality...
Javier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back