10k Oil Changes on 2011 Toyota Camry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, we have a new car. Free Maintenance for 2 years / 25k and my manual calls for 0w20 full synthetic oil. Great, but the manual calls for 10k oil changes and nothing about the normal and severe usage. I like changing my oil more frequently then running extended OCI. This seems extreme and Toyota doesn't want to pay for changes every 5k, why offer the maintenance plan then. I might just start changing it every 5k to be on the safe side. I have read UOA and have seen good results but it just seems to good to be true. I might go 7k instead of the 10k or go with 5k changes. Any thoughts!!! Also all my local dealerships use syntec 0w20. I know its a good oil but I haven't seen a UOA running syntec this long other then GC. Thanks!!!

The Toyota 0w20 full synthetic is a top notch oil. Check out the VOA. I wouldn't worry at all about running a 10k OCI on it.

I talked the dealership into using the toyota 0w20 which is great at 7k changes. I really want to run that in my camry. It seems top notch with a lot of Moly (800ppm) and Boron (100ppm), I just hope they hold to it. I might have to pay a few dollars but I think it would be worth it!!!

Originally Posted By: bfrey64
Okay, we have a new car. Free Maintenance for 2 years / 25k and my manual calls for 0w20 full synthetic oil. Great, but the manual calls for 10k oil changes and nothing about the normal and severe usage. I like changing my oil more frequently then running extended OCI. This seems extreme and Toyota doesn't want to pay for changes every 5k, why offer the maintenance plan then. I might just start changing it every 5k to be on the safe side. I have read UOA and have seen good results but it just seems to good to be true. I might go 7k instead of the 10k or go with 5k changes. Any thoughts!!! Also all my local dealerships use syntec 0w20. I know its a good oil but I haven't seen a UOA running syntec this long other then GC. Thanks!!!

bfrey64,

Congratulations on your new purchase! personally if Toyota says 10K oil changes then that's what I'd use unless your dealership says otherwise. No use you buying a new car and risking to void the warranty just in case you have an issue down the road. If they'll let you use synthetic then go for that for now.

Durango

Beware, the dealer will probably use generic bulk oil from a tank.

I'd take a jug of 0w-20 with me and/or not even do 10k changes. At least pull a UOA.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
Beware, the dealer will probably use generic bulk oil from a tank.

I'd take a jug of 0w-20 with me and/or not even do 10k changes. At least pull a UOA.

Considering how stringent billing rules are for warranty work, they will probably be using the correct oil to avoid a large number of chargebacks in the event of an audit.

0w-20 will probably be available in bulk (or may already be) to reduce costs.

Do like me. By the Toyo 0w20 by the case. I got them down to $58 for 12 quarts. Buy the Purolator PureOne filters or the OEM Toyo filters and change to your heart's content. I'm using that now and will finish my warranty going back to 5k OCIs.
The free service to me is a joke. Maybe just bring them the oil and ask what they use. If it's the same, keep for later. If it's cheaper stuff, give them the oil you bought.

Originally Posted By: sw99
Yea, I highly doubt Toyota would use bulk dino for 10k.

Doesn't mean its idiot owners won't.

Originally Posted By: The Critic

Doesn't mean its idiot owners won't.

+1 Most don't care as long as it makes it out of warranty

Originally Posted By: bfrey64

The previous OCI of most Toyota cars was 5k with dino oil, Toyota full synthetic 0w20 is very stout oil and it can easily go 10k as recommended. But if you don't sleep well at night worrying about too long OCI, you can buy Toyota full synthetic 0w20 at dealer to change oil yourself at 5k and let dealer do free oil change at 10k. Just make sure that they will use full synthetic 0w20 as stated in the owner manual.

After 2-3 oil changes with Toyota full synthetic 0w20, do an UOA at 5k to confirm that it can be use for 10k.

A lot of Honda's OLM go off around 10k-15k miles with dino in the sump.

if they put in syn go 10k, if not i would not go that far on reg oil, i think it is cutting it too close

bfrey, go to stealership and bring a jug and have them give you the oil and filter, that is what i do

Hi fella's i joined this site because my son bought a 2011 toyota camry and when he told me the salesman told him to change the oil every 10,000 miles i was shocked. Now I come from the old school of changing every 3,000 and that was my intention to do so. I aslo always read the owners manual. The part on oil consumption really troubled me. If I read it correctly it said the it was normal for the car to use 1.1 qts of oil every 600 miles, if it uses more then contact dealer. this bothers me because my son is not very mechanically inclined and he does alot of traveling. Also, I always thought if a car was burning oil there was a problem or a leak. Can some one clear this up for me?

I have an '09 Camry (2.4L engine - not same as your son's 2.5L, though). My owners manual also says 5K oil changes for normal or severe service.

My car uses about 1/2 quart every 5K miles; pretty decent since I run 90% highway and use 5W-20 oil. I run synthetic in the winter at 7.5K intervals. Your son's car may very well use 1 quart or more in the 10,000 mile interval... and there is nothing wrong with this.

So my advice is: choose an interval both you and he are comforable with. If you know he will never check the oil, I would go with a 4K interval on a good dino oil and forget it.

If you change the oil yourself, let me know how you like the filter design.

it can go 10k on synthetic, just make sure it is full on dipstick...my in laws camry just turned 300,000 miles and he has changed oil maybe 10 times and many times he had only 2 quarts in engine...i changed filter on car yesterday and from now on he is just going to add oil instead of yearly oil change, it burns a qt every 500 miles after all his abuse

Originally Posted By: hawk5124
Hi fella's i joined this site because my son bought a 2011 toyota camry and when he told me the salesman told him to change the oil every 10,000 miles i was shocked. Now I come from the old school of changing every 3,000 and that was my intention to do so. I aslo always read the owners manual. The part on oil consumption really troubled me. If I read it correctly it said the it was normal for the car to use 1.1 qts of oil every 600 miles, if it uses more then contact dealer. this bothers me because my son is not very mechanically inclined and he does alot of traveling. Also, I always thought if a car was burning oil there was a problem or a leak. Can some one clear this up for me?

1 liter (1.1 Qt) every 600 miles isnt normal. It just has to be that bad before the manufacturer is going to replace the engine.

If you use the correct 0W20 Synthetic 10,000 mi OCI will be fine. If you use 5W20 conventional or blend change it every 5000 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back