Royal Purple Oil Experience - 2005 Mustang GT

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wanted to express my experience with Royal Purple 5w-20 Synthetic Oil in my 2005 Mustang GT.
I started using Royal Purple 5W-20 Oil back in July 2005 at 3000 miles, I have changed the oil every 5000 miles along with a Ford Racing, K&N or Motorcraft Filter. I Drag Race the Mustang every Chance I get, my Personal Best to date is 12.299 @ 110 Mph. With Every Bolt-Ons available giving me 400hp the car has 73,200 miles and still raceing.

A Month ago I installed COMP NSR CAMS (127200) and had to pull the Oil Pan to remove a dropped item. I noticed that the inside of the engine was very clean, almost abnormally clean for 70,000 miles, I wiped the bottom of the pan out an got very little debris, it was a dark oil but no real amount of setiment.

I have been reading AMSOIL posts on this site about MOLY that is used by Royal Purple that gums up the engine and I am wondering what oil did they test? I have been using it for 4 years of hard driving and I experienced the opposite effect.

Any Thoughts? Recommendations? Since my engine is pushing 80K should I be looking at some other type of oil?

Here is a few Pictures
scott1.jpg

scott6.jpg

garage_vehicle-14-12438067365.jpg

PDRM1244.jpg

RP gets a bad rap around here, but I've never heard of anyone having issues with it. Sounds like it's working great for you and you're happy with it. Keep on using it.

Awesome car BTW, I bet 12.29 1/4's are fun!

welcome2.gif
to BITOG!

Sounds like you take care of your car. It's not abnormal for a modern engine to look clean after 70,000 miles with responsible maintenance.

Royal Purple does seem to use additives in their engine oils that would be more at home in transmission fluids (as evidenced by the silly Timken machines they use to show off their oils). Moly is one of them. Those things CAN have some ill effects (e.g. cam lobe pitting, corrosion of soft metals) over a LONG period of time, and many of them (e.g. extreme pressure additives) don't have any proven benefit in an engine oil.

That said, if you heard moly would gum up your engine, that is probably a huge exaggeration.

I personally don't like Royal Purple, but if it has been working for you then I don't see an urgent need to switch.

Nice car, by the way!

Originally Posted By: panthermike
RP gets a bad rap around here, but I've never heard of anyone having issues with it. Sounds like it's working great for you and you're happy with it. Keep on using it.

Awesome car BTW, I bet 12.29 1/4's are fun!

It is a blast, I am trying for 11's all Motor next spring...

Here is a Video of one of my 12.4 runs last year.

Last edited by a moderator:
I`ve used it and thought it was an excellent oil! I`d stick with what you`re doing. Do you use their street oil or the XPR?

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
welcome2.gif
to BITOG!

Sounds like you take care of your car. It's not abnormal for a modern engine to look clean after 70,000 miles with responsible maintenance.

Royal Purple does seem to use additives in their engine oils that would be more at home in transmission fluids (as evidenced by the silly Timken machines they use to show off their oils). Moly is one of them. Those things CAN have some ill effects (e.g. cam lobe pitting, corrosion of soft metals) over a LONG period of time, and many of them (e.g. extreme pressure additives) don't have any proven benefit in an engine oil.

That said, if you heard moly would gum up your engine, that is probably a huge exaggeration.

I personally don't like Royal Purple, but if it has been working for you then I don't see an urgent need to switch.

Nice car, by the way!

Thanks, I do take very good care of it, maybe a bit obsessed.. But who care sit's fun..

Why don't you like it? personal experience or problems?
I use it because it it eaiser to buy than Redline or AMSOIL I would like to use Redline but no one sells
it over the counter like RP. My Walmart selst it for 6.59 per qt, thats not much more than M1. I use M1 in my 2000 Silverado Z71 and 2004 Chrysler 300M

Originally Posted By: 2k05gt
I have been reading AMSOIL posts on this site about MOLY that is used by Royal Purple that gums up the engine..

Amsoil does not say this. And no site sponsors on this site have said this. Do you have a link?

You've been using synthetic oil changed at very conservative intervals. I would expect your engine to be quite clean.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I`ve used it and thought it was an excellent oil! I`d stick with what you`re doing. Do you use their street oil or the XPR?

street Oil I assume.. I get it at Walmart or Auto zone

I agree with the others. While I don't care for Royal Purple I also have no factual reasons not to use it. Since it works for you, keep using it. You may want to consider Redline as you bump up the power in that engine.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
I have been reading AMSOIL posts on this site about MOLY that is used by Royal Purple that gums up the engine..

Amsoil does not say this. And no site sponsors on this site have said this. Do you have a link?

You've been using synthetic oil changed at very conservative intervals. I would expect your engine to be quite clean.

I am not posting this info to Bash AMSOIL, If I could pickup AMSOIL at the autoparts store I would use it, I was looking for the best I can get in a drop of a hat.

conservative intervals? why is changing at 5000 miles to early? I beat this car hard, I drive it like I stole it.. 70K and 3 set of tires, One Transmission and 2 sets of drag radials

The Info I read was this...

Quote:

Royal_1.jpg

As you may know, Royal Purple is well known in racing circles. The chemistry they use is something AMSOIL, Inc. chooses not to use in their oil formulation. One of Amsoil's big selling points is extended drain intervals, such as our 25,000 mile and 35,000 mile oil change intervals. Some additive chemicals such as Moly may cause adverse conditions when used for long periods.
Royal Purple uses a different chemistry than most oil producers. They are one of only a handful of marketers using Molybdenum Disulfide (Moly) in their oilformulations at these higher levels.
Moly is a processed mineral that is similar in appearance to graphite. Moly has good lubricating properties when used either by itself (in dry power form or as an additive to oil or other lubricants). Particles of the Moly can come out of suspension and agglomerate. Over time this may actually clog or partially clog oil filters or oil lines and the remainder normally settles in the bottom of the oil pan. This seems to be more likely when using extended drain intervals. The only test we ran on Royal Purple involved their 20W50 Racing oil versus our AMSOIL Series 2000 Synthetic 20W50 Racing Oil (TRO). We ran two 4 ball wear tests with different parameters, a spectrographic baseline, FTIR scan and volatility tests. The Royal Purple showed a significantly high volatility rate with a 12.51% boil off rate. This compares to the AMSOIL TRO with only a 4.47% volatility rating. Wear scars were also smaller with the TRO. For example the AMSOIL TRO left a .41mm scar and the Royal Purple oil left a .66mm scar. The lower the scar damage number the better! There was also a surprising difference in the viscosity index. The RP has a VI of 129 versus 155 for the TRO. The higher the VI, the better the viscosity stays in place at high temperatures.

· AMSOIL saves you time and money.
· The only 25,000 mile/one- year and 35,000/one- year motor oil in the world.
· Exceeds the most stringent performance specifications of all major U.S. and foreign automotive and truck manufacturers.
· Provides up to two-times the wear protection of other motor oils.
· Increases the life of your vehicle.
· Improves performance, fuel economy and efficiency.
· Diesel oil and filtration products designed to deliver 1,000,000 miles for over-the-road trucks before engine overhaul.
· Used by many national racing teams, fleets, police departments, construction firms and trucking companies.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GMBoy
I agree with the others. While I don't care for Royal Purple I also have no factual reasons not to use it. Since it works for you, keep using it. You may want to consider Redline as you bump up the power in that engine.

My Problem with the Better Synthetic Oils like Redline and AMSOIL is availability. I find it eaiser to pick it up while I am out.

Why don't you like it? personal experience or problems?

This will open up a can of worms in this thread. I'll send you a PM.
wink.gif

I believe Amsoil retracted their comments on Moly after receiving criticism for it. I read that in one of their monthly news updates. It was misleading.

The graph above is about 10W-30 not 5W-20. Some other sites show RP to be a very good oil.

Regarding your choice of oil filters, go to Google and for the first line of search enter the words Some Filtration Comparisons from the Bench bitog

Go to the first page of that and start with the pictures showing the results of the filters tested.

The Pruolator Pure One shows much better than K&N

JimPghPa

Royal Purple is a good oil, that is a fact, is it better than Redline, Motul & Amsoil or even "Edge" and "Extended Performance"...we do not know....time will tell, as more people will use it and share their experiences and publish UOA's

if it is working for you, please keep using it, I know RP is very popular among drag racers, it too has a cult following like other brands do....

on BITOG forums it has not had a very warm reception overall till date...

more good oils out there, more for us "bitogers" to choose from!

Originally Posted By: JimPghPA
The graph above is about 10W-30 not 5W-20. Some other sites show RP to be a very good oil.

Regarding your choice of oil filters, go to Google and for the first line of search enter the words Some Filtration Comparisons from the Bench bitog

Go to the first page of that and start with the pictures showing the results of the filters tested.

JimPghPa

I have not used K&N but a couple of times. I picked up a case of Ford Racing Filters for the same price as M1 Filters so I figured I'd give them a try, do you know anything about them?
Part Number CM-6731-FL820 ?

Originally Posted By: JimPghPA

JimPghPa

I have not used K&N but a couple of times. I picked up a case of Ford Racing Filters for the same price as M1 Filters so I figured I'd give them a try, do you know anything about them?
Part Number CM-6731-FL820 ?

The K&N oil filter is fine as are the others you have used. No need to switch. Also there is nothing wrong with Royal Purple and no need to switch to a different oil. I wish my Walmart sold it for 6.59, it is 8.47 where I live.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back