10w30 "better" than 5w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is 10w30 a "better" choice for older (1994-2004) higher mileage (100k+) automobiles than 5w30? If so, why?

Originally Posted By: Bryanccfshr
It provides no advantage unless it is on sale.

Agree, ha ha.

You're asking a very general question looking for a specific answer when the variation is all over the map between 5W-30's alone.

If you were asking a specific question say pertaining to M1 then the answer would be a definite no unless you're a very long OCI and then perhaps you might have an advantage with the 10W-30 but I doubt it. Reason; M1 5W-30 vis at 100C is 11.3 cSt while their 10W-30 is "only" 10.0 cSt.

All else being equal, a 10w-30 will use less VIIs making it more desirable for an engine that is run hard.

I think 10W-30 is usually a more "stable" viscosity in most cases, but when you look at RedLine oils, their 5W-30 doesn't give up any NOACK or HTHS to their 10W-30.

With oils like PP, SynPower, etc. there is a notable advantage for the 10W-30s. Their 10W-30s are less volatile and less shear prone, I'm assuming this is a result of the VIIs.

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
I think 10W-30 is usually a more "stable" viscosity in most cases, but when you look at RedLine oils, their 5W-30 doesn't give up any NOACK or HTHS to their 10W-30.

With oils like PP, SynPower, etc. there is a notable advantage for the 10W-30s. Their 10W-30s are less volatile and less shear prone, I'm assuming this is a result of the VIIs.

Agreed. If I could find out if Redline 5w-30 also uses no VIIs, I might try that since there would seem to be no downside.

Originally Posted By: BuickGN

Agreed. If I could find out if Redline 5w-30 also uses no VIIs, I might try that since there would seem to be no downside.

You could give Dave a call at Red Line and get a quick answer, but I believe RL's 5W-30 uses lighter base oils that their 10W-30 and therefore does contain some VII.
I've run both RL grades and in practice I can't tell any difference between the two grades; they're just too close.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM

You could give Dave a call at Red Line and get a quick answer, but I believe RL's 5W-30 uses lighter base oils that their 10W-30 and therefore does contain some VII.
I've run both RL grades and in practice I can't tell any difference between the two grades; they're just too close.

I'm going to have to call him and quit being lazy. I can't run an oil with VIIs because this car is an experiment of running a car for it's entire life span without VIIs and on a heavier than specified oil. I'm very curious to see what the ring lands look like when it gets torn down.

I'm very curious to see what the ring lands look like when it gets torn down.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say awesome.
20.gif

I'm going to have to call him and quit being lazy. I can't run an oil with VIIs because this car is an experiment of running a car for it's entire life span without VIIs and on a heavier than specified oil. I'm very curious to see what the ring lands look like when it gets torn down.

Red Line's 5W-20 has no VII's and with a HTHS vis of 3.3 cP it's certainly more robust than the spec' oil for the TL. Running their 10W-30 which outperforms all dino 40 wt's is like wearing a belt and suspenders. How geeky is that!.

I was mistaken, RL's 5W-30 doesn't contain any VII, their 0W-30 oil does.
To quote Dave at Red Line, "Our 5W20, 5W30 and 10w30 do not contain any VI improver. Our 0W30 does contain a shear stable VI improver. Just some of our very broad viscosity oils require the thickener."

Which begs the question; if you can formulate a 5W-30 without VII's and with the same HTHS and 100C vis but with a higher VI than your 10W-30, doesn't that make your 10W-30 product obsolete?
I think the answer is yes technically but no from a marketing perspective. I suspect the 10W-30 costs less to formulate, therefore your profit margin is higher since you're selling it for the same price as your 5W-30.

Even the best 5W-30 dino's are very shear stable. Conclusion, I think 10W-30 is pretty much an obsolete grade.

Perhaps RedLine's 10W-30 is obselete, but one glance at PP's, SynPower's, or any conventional oil's PDS shows that 10W-30 isn't obselete. All of those 5W-30s have notable disadvantges in NOACK and usually HTHS over their 10W-30 counterparts.

Ben99GT you're right. But there's enough variation in 30 wt oils that to draw a blanket conclusion that a 10W-30 is "better" or presumably more robust would be an incorrect assumption.

Another good example would be GC 0W-30 which is more robust than both Syntec 5W-30 and 10W-30.

The Devil as they say is in the details!

Ben99GT you're right. But there's enough variation in 30 wt oils that to draw a blanket conclusion that a 10W-30 is "better" or presumably more robust would be an incorrect assumption.

Another good example would be GC 0W-30 which is more robust than both Syntec 5W-30 and 10W-30.

The devil is in the details, but I will say that within brands, that almost any GF-4/SM 10W-30 will be more robust than its GF-4/SM 5W-30 counterpart. GC being a non-ILSAC (or GF-3?) ACEA A3 oil is playing on a different court than its Syntec brothers, and if they are using VIIs to get that 0W-30 (and I bet they are), then a 10W-30 version of GC would likely be more robust still.

I concede this one. I'll be switching to Redline 5w-30 at the next OCI. It's a no brainer, you're not giving up any HTHS, I *believe* the 5w-30 is ever so slightly thicker at 100C, and it flows better when cold. In this case you're right, Redline 10w-30 is obsolete. I thank you for the info!

However, as you stated, most 10w-30s are not obsolete with the lesser base oils. BTW, I'm wanting to switch now. I may drain the current fill with 1,000 miles and put it in my mother's car which is due and order the 5w-30 now. I hate this OCD!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back