ACdelco PF47 vs PF52

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, they are interchangeable. My '01 Safari 4.3L specs the shorter PF-47, but I've been using the PF-52 for the last 4 years with no problems at all.

I've been using a PF52 sized filter on my 3.8, which is speced for the PF47. IIRC, it increased the capacity about 1/4 qt.

Scimmia beat me to it...I was just gonna say about 1/4.

If increased oil capacity is your primary reason for swapping, don't bother. I only do it for the increased filtering capacity which makes me feel better about going 5,000 miles instead of 3,000.
smile.gif

I too have been using the PF52 size filter on my wifes 2.2L Sunfire. I've been using the NAPA Gold 1036 (WIX 51036). It's approximately twice as long as the original filter that was spec'd for the engine (perhaps even more than twice as long). Alternatives designations are Quaker State QS3980 and the Fram PH3980.

Additional filtering capacity is one advantage; additional oil capacity is a slight advantage. A nice advantage is that this filter is lang enough to be a handful - so it's easy to get properly tightened by hand. This is a big plus for the Sunfire/Cavalier where this filter is in between the firewall and the back of the engine. It's nearly impossible to get the various filter wrenches down there without dropping them.

Quote:

I've been using a PF52 sized filter on my 3.8, which is speced for the PF47. IIRC, it increased the capacity about 1/4 qt.

If you don't mind me asking, what "PF52 sized" filter might you have settled on? I'm just starting an Auto-Rx sequence on my 3.8L using PF47-equivalents (ST & PureOnes). So I'm now looking for recommendations as to what to use as my permanent filter when I finally get back to normal using Penn Platinum 10W30 which is replacing Mobil1 10W30. I like the idea of going to a PF52 size can but would like to hear what others are specifically recommending in that size.

I only used E-core PF52s on mine, (ST, STP Acdelco) because they are shorter just enough to fit. Standard ones dont fit. :p If I couldve fit one, it would have been Wix/NAPA Gold.

I know that using an oversize PF52 instead of PF47 increases filter area and oil capacity and may even provide additional cooling in summer but are there any negatives? Would running an oversize in cold weather have any negative effects?

Not sure if increased filtering cap is needed.
Cars used to say change filters every OTHER oil change then somehow it went to every time with no science to say why.
sorta like the Iffy lube 3000 mile recommendation

When I had a GM 3100, I (tried to, at least) always used the AC Delco Ultraguard UPF-52. I'd still be using them if my 3900 didn't take a PF-61. A change which I find to be very unnecessary and annoying.

I've been using the larger filter on the wife's 98 Monte Carlo 3800 with no negative effects. They cost the same as the shorter filters. As far as I'm concerned, it should have had the longer filter from the factory! Some bean counter probably convinced GM they could save a half-cent on a shorter filter, which would add up to millions of dollars per year in profits for GM. Nothing to lose and much to gain by going to the longer filter!

Quote:

I've been using the larger filter on the wife's 98 Monte Carlo 3800 with no negative effects. They cost the same as the shorter filters. As far as I'm concerned, it should have had the longer filter from the factory! Some bean counter probably convinced GM they could save a half-cent on a shorter filter, which would add up to millions of dollars per year in profits for GM. Nothing to lose and much to gain by going to the longer filter!

The reason there are short and long filters it not because they are cheaper to make, but some vehicles cannot use the longer version due to lack of room and clearance around the oil filter. This is why there are short and long filter versions.

There are 1,197 vehicle applications for the 52, mostly trucks 1981 - 2005
There are 2,231 vehicle applications for the 47, mostly cars 1975 - 2007

Source - AC Delco Vehicle list by part number

mstrjon32
What made you run the UPF-52 instead of the regualr PF-52? Did you ever notice any difference in performance/UOAs?

I've been using the ACDelco 52 since 1996 on the GN. I have very high cold oil pressure, close to 100psi and for whatever reason, the bigger 52 seems less prone to blowing off or ballooning.

So, just to clarify --

If your 3.8 engine takes an AC Delco PF47, a PF52 will fit (unless there's something peculiar about the engine compartment -- something in the way)? And if you use a Wix or Napa Gold 51036, that's the same as the PF52?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back