2006 Mazda6i, 2.3L, 7300mi Royal Purple 5w20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Switched to Fram AF at 18,000mi. Ran OEM oil filter. The car was driven pretty hard.

RP bashers, UNITE!!

This is my first UOA. The car saw MC 5w20 from 0-1000mi. Then another run of MC 5w20 from 1000-5000mi. Changed to RP 5w20 at that point. RP went 5000-10000, 10000-15000, and then this run went 15000 to approx 22,000.

I'm sure this is a ---- report since it is Royal Purple.

Sorry, I have nowhere to host the image.

Last edited:
Nice! Did you change it when you took the sample? Maybe 10,000 miles next time with a better oil filter, or a mid-OCI filter change.

Yeah, I changed it soon after for warranty reasons.

I really don't have many other filter options at a reasonable price. I guess I'll try a wix or fram. The fram is $3 more than the OEM (these are cartridge filters).

Looks real good! I'd run this oil at least 2k miles more. That is one strong TBN for Royal Purple!

badtlc

Analysis looks good !

Regardless of the RP bashers here on this forum, alot of people are happy using this oil
wink.gif

I'm liking it so far. I was really happy with the TBN showing. I'm thinking of switching my Escape from PP to RP 5w20 also.

It looks like RP 5w-20 could be a long drain oil in these 2.3L engines.

Quote:

badtlc

Analysis looks good !

Regardless of the RP bashers here on this forum, alot of people are happy using this oil
wink.gif

Looks good but I am going to give most the credit to the engine not the oil. I will say that RP 15W40 has shown some good result's and now this 5W20 looks good as well and their Super Expensive Raceing formula's have always done well. I have not seen a 5W30 or 10W30 RP UOA that look impressive though. So it will be interesting to see how other 5W20's do in this application I am sure any synthetic 5W20 would do just as well.

Sometimes an oil looks really good in a uoa for a given situation and if this is the case here, stick with it. This uoa is beyond needing any improvement. You have found your magic bullet. And by the way RP is good stuff, an honest product that does not get too crazy in the marketing and works in many situations, although it's a bit expensive, it actually could be worth the price in your situation.

Quote:

And by the way RP is good stuff,

I have to disagree with you here. This report is excellent but overall, I haven't seen enough good RP uoa's to suggest it over any other brand.

I think so, Pablo. From what I have seen of the Mazda engines is they don't produce absurd low wear numbers like some Honda and Toyota engines.

Here is another 2.3L Mazda UOA with PP.

Quote:

Looks really good. TBN is GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Viscosity very fine.

Fe good, but look at other oils with the sames miles, engine, etc.....is Fe over 10 ppm?

badtlc, you might remember that I'm no fan of Royal Purple ... some of the old guard around here undoubtedly does.

But the oil has been good in certain applications ... Subarus come to mind (even turbo'd engines) as well as (now) your engine.

That 2.3L Pennzoil Platinum UOA looked OK ... but the vehicle had only 10,000 miles on it so the sampled oil went from 5,000 to 10,000 and I'd expect some of that wear to be break-in debris.

Now, that Mobil 1 UOA looked poor. I believe Terry said that Mobil's latest add pack is less than impressive these days. The PPMs in that sample looked good but ... yikes! That stuff wasn't cuttin' the mustard!
blush.gif

If you want to continue to use Royal Urple, go ahead, seems like a good idea to me.
cool.gif

Some good points Bror.

Here are some other things to consider:

- RP has had some dirty pipes in the past and the VOAs contained traces of wear metals already.

- I extracted this through the dipstick hole. So I have no idea if this oil was the dirty nasty oil accumulated at the bottom of the pan or not.

Some of the early RP UOAs were nothing to brag about. I would wager that RP hangs out here.

Oil did excellent. If you fear the warranty, stick with textbook OCIs(~7.5k?).

What time of driving style? TBN is very high so I'd guess major highway running and low actual hours on engine.

Stick with this oil. And, if driving style doesn't change, 12k+ OCIs are a possibility.

Insolubles, not bad but could be better. I would try the Wix and Fram oil filters for your next UOAs.

Quote:

Some of the early RP UOAs were nothing to brag about. I would wager that RP hangs out here.

Oil did excellent. If you fear the warranty, stick with textbook OCIs(~7.5k?).

What time of driving style? TBN is very high so I'd guess major highway running and low actual hours on engine.

Stick with this oil. And, if driving style doesn't change, 12k+ OCIs are a possibility.

Insolubles, not bad but could be better. I would try the Wix and Fram oil filters for your next UOAs.

I drive it pretty hard. I give it WOT several times a day. Most commutes are about 15min long with at least 2 WOT merging with 80mph morning traffic. It sees 200+mi trips about once a month (it is football season afterall).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back