BEST WAY TO DRINK SCOTCH?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm considering tryiny scotch for the first time in my life, tired of the "bloat" from beer, what is the best way to become accustomed to scotch for a novice? (Don't want to use any sweet or sugary mixers) Thanks!
cheers.gif

Don't skimp - buy a quality scotch. The price is usually proportional to the quality.

Neat or with a bit of water are the only methods for any self-respecting connoisseur.

You need a good single malt. Most people would agree that you need to add a little water (according to taste) in order to really bring out the flavours but for goodness sake don't use plain tapwater use a decent, still, bottled water or some that has been through a purifier. The other thing that you will need to decide is which Scotch yo like. They range from fairly light to very 'peaty'. I'm probably going to start a big argument now but I'm going to give you some choice suggestions. The Glenlivet is a nice one that isn't very heavy, so is Glenfiddich. Talisker (if you can find it here) is a much stronger tast that tends to be more of an acquired taste. Hope that helps. I'd like to know how you get on.

As I was typing that reply I commented to my wife that it was going to start a huge debate. Why not? That's part of what makes this site such fun. Sometimes we agree, sometimes we disagree, that's healthy. In order to help the decision making process though I think it would be helpful if the choices that you all suggest could attempt to describe where those brands sit in the mild to very peaty range.

Quote:

You can start by licking a Skunks a$$. That'll get you accustomed to the taste of Scotch.
puke.gif

I am so gonna use that next time the boss starts talking scotch.

I get hiven a couple bottles a year.

I give them to the FIL, and drink his home brew.

Philistine.
By the way, I don't think that I have ever met anyone that tasted a Skunks a$$, can you tell us more about that experience?

Whitewolf,
"philistine"...you aren't my boss are you ?

He uses exactly the same word in our Scotch conversations.

Quote:

Philistine.
By the way, I don't think that I have ever met anyone that tasted a Skunks a$$, can you tell us more about that experience?

A Skunks a$$ has a bit more bouquet and is just a tad more gamey than Scotch. Other than that,its a dead heat in the tastes like ---- department.

Quote:

Whitewolf,
"philistine"...you aren't my boss are you ?

He uses exactly the same word in our Scotch conversations.

Thats what snobby Scotch drinkers call you when they're trying to prove to you how intellectual they are. The fact that they drink Scoth proves otherwise.

When all you Philistines say "Scotch," do you mean Scottish Whisky? Do me a favor and ask for Scotch you go on a bender in Edinburgh next time. Better wear a helmet, though.
tongue.gif

The single malts are usually very good but if you don't want to spend a fortune Dewars White Label or Johnnie Walker Red are nice blends that are great on the rocks with a little water. I find that Scotch and water rarely gives one a hangover.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back