ZDDP additive sold on Ebay

Status
Not open for further replies.
As always, the original of this is available upon request.

Alum: 1

Chrom: 3

Iron: 13

Copp: 1

Moly: 6

Nick: 1

Pot: 3

Boron: 8

Sil: 30

NA: 1

Cal: 1203

Phos: 76480

ZDDP: 53970

66.9 @ 210

TBN 20.0

Yeah, $8 a bottle may be pricey, but at least it has what it claims, and it is only a few bucks more than VSOT which is pretty much worthless.

Quote:

What is SLOB?

You've been here sence '02 and don't know what SLOB is?
crazy.gif

Six 4 oz bottles for $49 is roughly equal in zddp to about 20 bottles of SLOB. So pricewise this stuff is not too far off. At 54000 ppm zinc, you would only need about one ounce per oil change to boost your oil about 250 to 300 ppm. I'd say it's a fair deal.

Quote:

As always, the original of this is available upon request.

Phos: 76480

ZDDP: 53970

66.9 @ 210

TBN 20.0

Hi! I am interested in seeing the full report, in particular how ZDDP was determined as oppposed to Zn.
Thanks in advance

I didn't even see that. It must be zinc, not zddp. If it were zddp, then zinc would be a whole lot lower thant 53970 ppm.

Quote:

I didn't even see that. It must be zinc, not zddp. If it were zddp, then zinc would be a whole lot lower thant 53970 ppm.

To say that, you must know the relative mole ratio (or percentage) of zinc to the all the other components in a ZDDP molecule. So, why should the Zn be a lot lower if this is ZDDP ?

This analysis is just like every other standard engine oil analysis : it measures zinc as Zn and phosphorous as P. Where they come from is up to you to decide. But when you see Zn and P in any other UOA, you always assume that both came from the ZDDP. However ZDDP itself is never analysed as a complete molecule in standard UOAs. So this analysis is no different than any other.

A quick review of ZDDP literature on the internet shows that ZDDP contains one Zn molecule and 2 P (phosphorous) molecules (somewhat obvious from the name I guess). Based on the molecular weights of each (roughly 65 for Zn and 31 for P), an analysis for ZDDP should show roughly equal weight-quantities of Zn and P. It actually works out to approximately 1060 ppm Zn per 1000 ppm of P. So the analysis provided shows that there is more than enough P present to account for the 54,000 ppm Zn if the molecule is actually ZDDP.

Actually, the analysis shows nearly 50% more P than there should be IF the Zn number is accurate. Or, the Zn number is falsely low IF the P number is accurate. Perhaps there is P present from some other component in the formulation. It's quite possible that the presence of other components in the formulation caused positive or negative interferences with accuracy of the Zn or P test methods.

You really need Molakule or someone with similar knowledge to comment further. I know basic chemistry, but that's all. But for sure, you can not say that this analysis should show lower Zn if the host molecule is ZDDP. ZDDP as a product appears to available in concentrations up to 50% by weight (500,000 ppm as ZDDP).

Quote:
A quick review of ZDDP literature on the internet shows that ZDDP contains one Zn molecule and 2 P (phosphorous) molecules (somewhat obvious from the name I guess). Based on the molecular weights of each (roughly 65 for Zn and 31 for P), an analysis for ZDDP should show roughly equal weight-quantities of Zn and P. It actually works out to approximately 1060 ppm Zn per 1000 ppm of P. So the analysis provided shows that there is more than enough P present to account for the 54,000 ppm Zn if the molecule is actually ZDDP.

Actually, the analysis shows nearly 50% more P than there should be IF the Zn number is accurate. Or, the Zn number is falsely low IF the P number is accurate. Perhaps there is P present from some other component in the formulation. It's quite possible that the presence of other components in the formulation caused positive or negative interferences with accuracy of the Zn or P test methods.

Excellent explanation.

The analysis was undoubtedly miscopied.

Regarding the TBN: the calcium must have been a highly overbased calcium or they have some other base chemical to yield this high a TBN.

So, Are we saying that this product is not any good or just that it is not as good as they say it is? Has there only been one UOA reviewed here on the site? I have ordered some of this product and I am going to get my local lab to test.

It would be interesting to see another UAO of this concentrate.

I think this can be used with caution to raise the ZDDP levels. Take a VOA of motor oil and concentrate and then take a VOA of mix.

IMHO, I would try to find a formulated oil with approx 0.1% of ZDDP instead of adding something with which you might overtreat.

What are the treatment directions? How many ounces per quart?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back