Honda RR Track Car: Oil reccomendation Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm new to this site and I like it! I think I just went through every page in this Racing forum area looking for some answers.

What I'm looking for: Recommendations for what I should use for my application.
1.) Engine oil (factory is 5W30)
2.) Tranny oil (Factory is Honda MTF) I went to napa and they looked up some info on it. I can't remember the API data but their computer said it crosses with 10W30 and 10X40 oils if you are in desperate need basically? so it's pretty light stuff)
3.) Oil filter

Application:
HPDE road racing, Autocrossing and weekend warrior. Not a DD at all.

Engine:
2004 Acura RSX K20a2 2 liter motor, 8400 rpm rev limiter, all stock internally. Custom tuned with Standalone ECU. I use 93 unleaded for everything. 25,xxx miles on Engine

Engine Oil: Currently using M1 5w30. Thinking of stepping up to 10W30 or 10W40 to see if oil consumption goes down from High RPM abuse.

I ordered a Blackstone Labs oil kit so I’ll be testing the engine oil from my last track day and about 1,500-2000 miles of normal driving. ~190 miles on the track. I know, I should have kept track better.

Trans: Stock RSX-S 6spd trans with no LSD
My tranny has seen better days. It has been grinded a few times but doesn't grind consistently(yet) So I need a tranny fluid that is going to help with this. I've been reading good things about GM synchromesh with friction modifier and also Amsoil synchromesh. But also considering Royal Purple Fluid b/c I can get it off the shelves local at stores and GM and Amsoil are a bit harder to find. Considering mixing The Royal Purple Max Gear oil and the Synchromax which is a lighter oil like Honda MTF and well being more on the light side will help in this Cold Iowa Weather that will be coming up soon.
http://www.royalpurple.com/prodsa/scmax.html
http://www.royalpurple.com/prodsa/mgeara.html
https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/mtf.aspx

Currently in trans: 1qt BG synchroshift and .6 qt. Lucas Oil Tranny Fix. I heard bad things about Lucas Oil's 75W90 Gear oil trapping air and I’m not willing to risk that property possibly being apparent in the Tranny Fix stuff. Basically I want to get this stuff out before my next track day on Sept. 29th.

Oil filter: I’m not worried about catching all those microns on the track. I want a HIGH Flow filter for max oil pressure. I might use a different one for road use b/t track days if price differs immensely.

Thanks for the help!

I would highly recommend Terry Dyson at Dyson Analysis to interpret your oil analysis results. He will also give recommendations on best next steps including oil, filter, etc. It's fun on here to discuss these things among amateurs, but he does this for a living & has been for oh, 25-30 years.

Thanks for the advice. I agree with talking to the experts as well. I'll look into his services.

I'm thinking about mixing .5qt Royal Purple MaxGear and 1.2qt. RP Synchromax b/c I can find it local. I like to change fluid frequently b/c I have no idea how hot my fluid is getting at the track. Better safe that sorry.

I just went with a Wix Honda S2000 oil filter. The s2000 filter is spec'd for greater flow but lacks in the Beta ratio department.

s2000 Wix #51334 Beta Ratio: 2/20=22/40
K20A2 Wix #51356 Beta Ratio: 2/20=6/19

If this was just a daily driver, I'd stay with the stock OEM or Wix #51356 filter.

Reasons I've gone with Wix - I've read they have greater flow than other filters that are crossed for the same motor. Seem to be pretty good quality built. Available at Oriellys and Arnolds Motor Supply all the time. $6-$6.50 aint bad.

Reason's I am going RP - Good product, readily available at MANY stores. No wait for it and it doesn't have to sit on my shelf unlike if I ordered , maybe a better product, from Amsoil MTF 5w30. Nor do I have to deal with HONDA Parts department dealership hours.

Going Mobil 1 10W30 High mileage b/c it is a newer released oil, heard great things about it. I can get it cheap(5qt for $20) and I already change my oil before and after races and every 3,000-3,500 miles anways.

Let me know if I'm making any drastically bad decisions here.. . More input is very welcome!

you shouldn't race with 5W-30 if u don't change your oil every race

my frd's race car has the same K20 engine as yours and he uses Motul 300V 10W-40 and that's really good on the track and produces more hp at the high end compare with other syn oil

gearbox he uses Redline MTL and the Katz LSD is with Katz LSD oil

my race car has a fully built B18C5 Type-R engine

i use Motul 300V 15W-50 coz of the oil consumption with older VTEC engines, but regular driving i will use 10W-40 and 5W-30 in the winter

Gearbox I use Amsoil Synchomesh 5W-30, which is the best oil for shifting quality and oil life is better than Redline MTL

you can always use conventional 10W-30 engine oil but don't use syn oil as u will result in bad shifting quality

RSX gearbox has a lot of synchomesh problems, so I would recommend you to try the Amsoil, it stopped the grind with my older civic's tranny and i could do powershift again~ =)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back