I'm gonna go 25k between oil changes...

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my 2004 Dodge Ram CTD, if I can do it that is. Here is the plan. The truck now has 41,009 miles on it. I just changed the oil on it and dumped in 12 quarts of Amsoil AME HD 15w40 diesel and marine oil into the truck. I also used an Amsoil EAO oil filter. There is no bypass on the truck. My goal is to document the progression of the trucks oil in 25,000 miles. This means I will be changing it at 66,009 miles, or 1 year, whichever comes first. I plan on doing oil analysis every 5k miles or every 3 months,whichever comes first, and I WILL discard the oil if the oil analysis recommends that I do so. Would anyone be interested in the results of this? It might prove why Amsoil is THE oil to run.

For anyone interested in the effects of Amsoil on a gas engine, I will be performing the same experiment with my 1988 toyota pickup with a 22r motor. I changed the oil about 3k miles ago, and will have a sample pulled in another 2k miles.

Disclaimer: The Dodge only gets driven about 1 time per week right now, so it might take a while to get results

All results will be posted in the appropriate Oil Analysis forum here.
Scott

I'm definitely interested...but it is probably in your best interest to run a bypass with extended drain intervals. But you probably know that.

How many miles do you avereage per year right now? You don't plan to change the oil or filter until 25K or 1 year and only drive it once a week?

Griz95

DJ,

I don't think you need to do a UOA every 5k; perhaps wait to at least 12k, then 18k, then 24k.

Give it a thought...
smile.gif

Well, since writing this, I have been driving the truck every day. Ive put almost 1000 miles on it this week. It won't take too long for me to hit the 5k mark. Yes, I know it would be in my best interest to probably run the bypass kit. I am an amsoil dealer after all
smile.gif
I just don't have the extra coin for the kit yet, and the filter and oil is guaranteed for up to 25k miles, so I thought I would see what I can do with it. I will tell you though that if ANY of my oil analysis come back with the slightest HINT that I should change the oil, then it will get changed. I won't risk damage to a $6,000 engine in a $40,000 truck
smile.gif

Scott

Quote:

Well, since writing this, I have been driving the truck every day. Ive put almost 1000 miles on it this week. It won't take too long for me to hit the 5k mark. Yes, I know it would be in my best interest to probably run the bypass kit. I am an amsoil dealer after all
smile.gif
I just don't have the extra coin for the kit yet, and the filter and oil is guaranteed for up to 25k miles, so I thought I would see what I can do with it. I will tell you though that if ANY of my oil analysis come back with the slightest HINT that I should change the oil, then it will get changed. I won't risk damage to a $6,000 engine in a $40,000 truck
smile.gif

Scott

I think your engine is probably twice that amount...

Nice, I saw your post on dodge-diesel.org as well. I think it will be a nice comparison if you do one 25k run without bp, and one with a bp filter. I love amsoil but do you really think it will make 25k without depleting itself. I assuming there will be no makeup oil unless the engine uses some. I am wondering how much it will thicken up as well. I made it to 15k without a bypass, but then chickened out. My new goal, with the frantz all straightened out is to never drop the oil in the pan unless the wear metals get out of control and it is determined to be abrasive. I am at 12k to far and will do a sample at 15k, but I already have 5 quarts of makeup oil. I assume you are using a ea air filter too?

My truck is an 04.5 with 42k miles on it. It hasn't used a drop since the day I bought it, so the only thing to worry about is thickening. Like I said, I trust the UOA company, and I WILL be draining it and changing the filter if the analysis comes back even the slightest in the wrong. I figure, at the rate I am driving the truck now, I can get to 5,000 miles in about a month and maybe a week. Shouldn't take too long, and you can bet I will be posting the results. As far as how much the engine costs, you're probably right about it being double my estimate, which is why I will not chance it.
Scott

BTW, the company Amsoil uses for the UOA is oil analyzers and thats who I am going to use. If I get curious, I might send one to blackstone to see if the results are any different.
Scott

Quote:

BTW, the company Amsoil uses for the UOA is oil analyzers and thats who I am going to use. If I get curious, I might send one to blackstone to see if the results are any different.
Scott

Thats good to know too, because I have seen some different results between the two on here. My truck is an 05 and has not used any oil either in the 60k I have on it. I mostly check the oil just to make it hasn't increased because of an injector sticking open. I will be doing a uoa soon on my setup with ame.

I am also glad to know that I am not the only one that uses AME. I thought about using the DEO 5w40 premium diesel oil, but decided against it after doing some research on boards of what others were using. I've been very happy with the AME. This is the 2nd go around on AME.. The first time I bought it I was just a customer, and now I am a dealer for them. Thats gotta say how much I loved the product.
Scott

I would absolutely love to have you post the data you collect. It's your money, obviously, but if you could do the UOA's at 5k intervals, I will include it in my UOA oil filter study (check out the info in my thread in bypass filter section "bypass vs conventional").

Regardless of the oil analysis service, please post as much as you can for all the data involved, and if you can, always use the same service, as that removes a variable that I wouldn't have to deal with. It is rare that someone does what you're going to do, and that would go a long way towards culling some beasts of myth.

If you can do it in one year's time or less, I'd even be willing to help offset the cost a little (what little I could afford - PM me).

Quote:

I am an amsoil dealer after all
smile.gif
I just don't have the extra coin for the kit yet, and the filter and oil is guaranteed for up to 25k miles

I know this is a partial quote, but if you live in Blue Jay California, your driving falls into the extreme side of oil usage, and any guarantee from Amsoil. They will only guarantee your oil for 15K, and your smart doing regular oil analysis. My bet is the oil is used up in 15K
fence.gif

My 2003 Dodge with a Cummins has a Dodge 70k powertrain warranty and a Cummins 100k engine warranty, I assume yours is similar. Are you really considering voiding or at least risking the warranty for extended oil changes ?

As long as he does regular analysis on the oil, the warrany would be in effect. Recommended oil changes are in lieu of analysis, and not required if analysis shows acceptable performance.

Cummins states that oil analysis is not an acceptable substitute for required oil changes, and neither is the use of synthetic oil.

With all of the uoa's on this forum, a lubrication failure in these engines is pretty much a mute point. The possibilities of the dealer asking about oci's when an injector stuck open or a valve seat dropping and destoying a motor isn't very likely. We also all know any dino 15w40 can most likely last 10k in a nomral service. I am questioning whether or not the amsoil can handle soot thickening and tbn depletion without any makeup oil. Its been done before on older 5.9's but the 600 motors tend to run hotter and soot up the oil a lot more.

"The possibilities of the dealer asking about oci's when an injector stuck open or a valve seat dropping and destoying a motor isn't very likely."

Some dealers have signs specifically stating that either Dodge service records or receipts with other records are needed for warranty work. I suspect that some are getting hard nosed as fueling boxes are popular, and they can obviously be used to the point of breaking things. Increasing power output 50% and also increasing the oil change interval by over 300% usually isn't considered a good combination. a

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back