Honda coolant compatible with Subaru coolant

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcy

Does anyone know if the Honda type II coolant is a suitable replacement for the Subaru recommended coolant? What I can find regarding the Subaru coolant is that it's a 'phosphate, non amine' formula. The Honda coolant is supposed to be a phosphate..dunno about the amine part.

Reason I'm asking is because I have 8 litres of the Honda Type II, and no more Honda - it's been replaced with a Subaru.

Thanks.

Check out the Subaru EndWrench.com article about Subaru coolant. Yes Subaru does say they want a phosphate coolant but the Subaru Genuine Coolant does not contain phosphate.
http://endwrench.com/images/pdfs/WhatEWNov05.pdf

I've been using Zerex G-05 with good results in my 3 soobs. It seems to be a somewhat close match to the Subaru Genuine Coolant ingredient list.

Aluminum likes a slightly basic pH for corossion resistance. I think that's why Subaru puts some potassium hydroxide in their coolant. I didn't see that in the G-05, but I checked a 50/50 mix of G-05 and water and the pH is about 8, which is good for aluminum. Also you can get Pequa Heavy Duty Drain Cleaner, which is roughly 50/50 water and potassium hydroxide to bump up the pH a little if needed.

I recently contacted Subaru of America, Inc. regarding what's been published in EndWrench. In my opinion, SOA has deliberately muddied the issue of just what is a suitable coolant for Subaru vehicles.

I was specifically concerned about a comment that appeared in the May 2005 issue of EndWrench, wherein SOA appears to say that cooling system related warranty claims will not be honored if Subaru Coolant is not present.

In their response, SOA says that a glycol-based coolant is suitable (as per my 2005 Legacy GT owner's manual). Subaru of America, Inc. goes on to say that the requirement for Subaru Coolant is for dealers who want to be reimbursed for warranty work - that is to say SOA will reimburse dealers for coolant system related repairs only if they refill with Subaru Coolant.

Subaru of America, Inc. specifically refered to what is published in my owner's manual when asked about suitable coolants. This makes sense as it does not violate the tie-in provisions of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

In my opinion, SOA has taken quite a different approach to publications aimed at dealers. Since they cannot require the customer to use Subaru Coolant, they have one requirement in the owner's manual. Dealers are a whole different story. If a dealer shows SOA's "recommendations" in EndWrench to a customer, it certainly could help sell Subaru Coolant without violating the MMWA.

By the way, I think it's a nice trick to specify a "non-amine" coolant. You certainly won't find that printed on any coolant bottle at Wal-mart. I checked around and was told by persons in the industry that virtually all coolant has neen "non-amine" for about 30 years. Nobody puts "non-amine" on the bottle.

So, Subaru has customers running around to find "non-amine" coolant and no store-brand has that spec. listed. Hmmmm. better buy Subaru Coolant. Isn't that like your doctor telling you it's O.K. to drink Coca Cola, but only cocaine-free Coke? They stopped puttring cocaine in Coke in 1903 and you won't finf a bottle of "non-cocaine" Coke o9n the shelves!

Peak Global is a suitable replacement. Note: Peak comes in different bottles and may or may not have "Lifetime" on the bottle depending on which mass-retailer you buy it at. Per Old World Industries, it is all the same coolant.

Interesting info. Thanks STG. Yes I saw Peak Global at Ace Hardware and the ingredients sound like it should work. I believe I saw silicate on the list as well.

I think it is interesting Subaru says to use a glycol-based coolant; I mean what other coolants do vehicles run? Alcohol based?

The one Subaru did say not to use is the GM dexcool/OAT type coolants.

Quote:

I think it is interesting Subaru says to use a glycol-based coolant; I mean what other coolants do vehicles run? Alcohol based?

Yes, Alcohol based coolants exist, but I have not seen a single car that specifies them. They all spec Ethylene Glycol, and then their set of corrosion inhibitors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back