Growth within the Diesel Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought my 01 F250 PSD with 260K miles on her.
Sometimes the truck would sit for a few weeks before it was driven between jobs, then drove for hundreds of miles.

I'm sure they never used any type of additives in the fuel tank. After doing a bit of reading. I'm now a bit concerned with growth of bacteria within the tank.

Should i be concerend and find some type of additive that will kill that growth? Or am I just worried about nothing?

Thanks
SyN

Yes, it's a fact. Some bugs (bacteria? fungus? mold?) can grow (thrive) in Diesel. Some pump Diesel is treated already (Amoco 'premium' Diesel used to be years ago, haven't pumped Diesel from a car pump in 15yrs. They'll grow and can clog up all sorts of expensive stuff.

Dave

Usually if there is growth in your tank "it is like algae more or less" you will have a clogged feul filter .Have you looked at or changed the feul filter? If there is algae the tank will have to be removed and cleaned. 260,000 miles probably no problem.

I have changed the fuel filter Twice already. Once when I first bought the truck and ran many doses of FP 3000 through the system. As well as a few bottle of SeaFoam.

Figured after about 3k miles of really pouring the additives into the fuel system. I best change the filter again. I had no clue what the additives broke loose inside the tank. The filter looked like new, but i changed it anyway. I have read about and seen via the net, of additives designed to take care of the growth problems. Just didn't know if i really had to worry about it.

Thanks for your replies.

from what i have read they live at the line between water in the bottom of the tank and diesel in the top. the only way to have these microbes is if you have water in the tank. drain the water, eliminate the microbes.

as they die off they pollute the fuel filter, so unless you get rid of the water youll never get rid of the microbes. see if youre tank has a drain on the bottom, or a water seperation trap.

So Basically Water is the main enemy, since it causes these little rascals. I will invest in an additive that helps disperse that water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back