NASCAR Busch Series may switch to muscle cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great idea. All of those cars are actually two door muscle cars. How ridiculous was the 4 door Taurus as a race car?
As for the car of 'yesterday' - Nextel cup's ratings are down 20% over the past 2-3 seasons.
I am one of the ones that no longer watches. Some fans don't even realize / care that all the cars are the same.

This is a good idea. A ready made series using all the ex-Nextel cup chassis. It also saves Nascar the embarrassment they have now with the COT running slower than the Busch series cars at many tracks.

Ratings are down for a lot of reasons. Many of the new fans they've tried to cultivate, the "drink and party and watch some kind of sports" fans come and go. Once the new wears off it's on to the next new thing for them.

And a lot of people, myself included, are sick of the weekly rule changes to effect the outcomes. Coupled with the tire of the week, usually a different tire than was run at a given track last year, it makes the "level playing field" line they try to sell the fans an obvious load of fertilizer...

I think the change will boost the ratings for the Busch series. I also agree why the ratings are down. The COT and restricter plate racing is going to do nothing more than lower the ratings more. I would make them run off the shelf factory hoods and fenders. The front body work would have to be factory identical pieces with block off plates for the headlights. The Nascar front and rear spoilers would be kept. And finally let them do what they want with the engines we just drop the engine size to 305-310 cubic inches. There would be no longer a need for the restricter plates anymore. Than we wouldn't have to worrying about the big one at Talladega or Daytona.

Dump the plates. That's been my contention for years, shared by a number of the drivers. In particular Jeff Gordon and Mark Martin. If you want to slow the cars down there better ways to do it.

Smaller engines, less tire, and much smaller spoilers. So the cars lose both mechanical and aerodynamic grip. Make the drivers have to DRIVE the cars again on the big tracks.

Quote:

Smaller engines, less tire, and much smaller spoilers. So the cars lose both mechanical and aerodynamic grip. Make the drivers have to DRIVE the cars again on the big tracks.

I agree. In addition, do away with the boring 1.5 mile cookie-cutter tracks and schedule more short track and road courses. Put the driver back in NASCAR.

Quote:

Dump the plates. That's been my contention for years, shared by a number of the drivers. In particular Jeff Gordon and Mark Martin. If you want to slow the cars down there better ways to do it.

Yep, or as I say, "fill in the lake at Daytona". That's right. Remove most of the insane banking that keeps the high speeds. Think Indy, not Daytona or 'dega.

Quote:

Quote:

I agree. In addition, do away with the boring 1.5 mile cookie-cutter tracks and schedule more short track and road courses. Put the driver back in NASCAR.

Makes you realize how special North Wilkesboro was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back