Best Synthetic Oil for a 6 Cylinder Turbo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Gents,
I am new to this forum, but at the same time have been reading all the articles re Synthetic Oil over the past 3 month's.
I have a Ford Falcon XR6 Turbo which generates 240KW, thru Twin o/head cams, VCT and a Garrett Turbo.(An awesome machine)
My question is this, Ford in Aus specifie a 15w-40 grade of oil, I have read almost all of sprintmans post's re BP Visco 5000 5w-40 and currently have it in the sump know.
This oil seems to suite the motor well giving no indication of rejection, it starts well and no noise is heard at start up, this oil received a good result and tested well in a head to head Oil Test.
Ford specifie also on the oil filler cap a ?-40 or a ?-50 grade of oil. Thru also reading many post's I also realise that there is no need to go to a 50 weight if not required.
As the motor is more responsive with this oil rather than a 10w-40 Mineral which I have tried being (Castrol Magnatec) The only other oil I am interested in would be Fuchs Syntech 5w-50 or the Mobil1 5w-50.
The Castrol Magnatec seemed to shear down quickly this was indicated to me by increase in MPG as time went on.
BP in Melbourne asure me that there is no group 3 in the Visco 5000 purely PAO.
The best oil on the market seems to be RedLine 5w-40 but owing to cost un afordable, would cost $200-00 Aus for fill, the sump holds 7 Litres.
Your thoughts please.
I also find this site addictive.

[ August 30, 2004, 06:27 AM: Message edited by: xrhp6 ]

How about the Castrol 0w40? It's pretty plentiful out your way isn't it? And I don't think it's anywhere near as pricey as Redline 5w40 (although that oil would probably be one of your best bets for maximum protection on that turbo motor)

Thanks for your reply,
I have considered Castrol 0w-40 but the 0 weight is scary, Some of the GT's Big Boss 290KW motors are consuming this oil, problem unknown, is FPV factory fill.

Castrol Formula R 0w40, as you mention, is the factory fill for FPV. Other options would be M1 0w40 or 5w50 as you mention. They would be your best bet if you want to run full synth without forking out for Redline. You could consider Delvac 1 5w40, but I'm not sure if that would comply with your warranty.

quote:

Originally posted by xrhp6:
BP in Melbourne asure me that there is no group 3 in the Visco 5000 purely PAO.

BS.....not for the price they charge for it.

You could also try one of the Motul oils. Say 300v 10w-40. Cheaper than redline. Some Autobarn stores stock it.

I'd say the BP Visco sounds good if its a primarily PAO base. You could send in a virgin sample for testing and see how the additive package stands up against Mobil Delvac 1.

7 liter capacity is a definate plus in terms of spreading the load on the oil out.

Nice car BTW. Wish they sold those over here like GM does the Holden Monaro (Pontiac GTO).

quote:

You could consider Delvac 1 5w40, but I'm not sure if that would comply with your warranty.

Don't know why it wouldn't comply, as it totally meets/exceeds SL/SJ specs, and as such is considered a mixed fleet oil. It would keep those oil galleries in the Garrett spick-n-span.

A mate of mine used to spec Visco 5000 in his customer Formula Fords engines, and they always tore down in immaculate condition. At the time we were of the impression it was a full PAO.

WARNING, gratuitous name drop.
Talking oils with Pat Purcell years ago when he was building Charlie O'Brien's NASCAR engines, they were using Visco 5000 in them, as CB was BP sponsored at the time.
The engines looked fine when torn down, exactly the same as all Pats' other engines that he used Mobil 1 in. He rated it a very good oil.

One of my mates has an XR6 turbo, after two HSV's and being a dyed in the wool Holden boy all his life. He wouldn't go back now.
Oil wise he's just running whatever the dealer fills it with. (IIRC, 0w-40 Castrol Form.R) He hasn't mentioned any oil consumption problems yet, and he's had it for approx. 6 months now.

I'll be talking to him during the week, and ask him how it's going and what oil is in it.

[ August 31, 2004, 03:51 AM: Message edited by: tdi-rick ]

quote:

Originally posted by tdi-rick:

quote:

You could consider Delvac 1 5w40, but I'm not sure if that would comply with your warranty.

Don't know why it wouldn't comply, as it totally meets/exceeds SL/SJ specs, and as such is considered a mixed fleet oil.

I'd just think some workshops run by people who don't know much about oil (ie, the vast majority of them) would probably be hesitant to use customer supplied oil with the word "deisel" on the bottle, unless the dual rating was specifically pointed out to them
wink.gif

What platform is the Falcon based on? Is there a similar car sold in the US? Also, is the 4.0 I6 related to the old 4.9 truck engine?

It's not related to any Ford international platform, it is wholly designed in Australia for Australia. Likewise, the 4 litre straight 6 is completely Australian. The only US bits are the transmission (Mexican Tremac T56) and the 5.4 litre V8, which I believe is a Explorer block mated to Mustang heads (at least in Hypo FPV models).

Well they should bring it here, looks like a pretty cool car with the turbo I-6! How big is it compared to other mid-sized cars?

It's a big family sedan, as well as Holden's Commodore. Both are our local taxi cabs, both are a little larger than a E class Benz or 5 series BMW.

A couple of months ago, a local car mag took a BA Falcon to the USA to guage reaction. Nobody knew what it was.

Why whats so bad about a group 3 oil anyway? If it's know for doing a great Job and at a far price what is the concern thats it's not a PAO?

Comparison of Visco 5000 to the oil I currently am using, Fuchs Titan Supersyn 5w-50 leads me to believe that Visco 5000 is as good if not slightly better than Fuchs. Both oils have stayed cleaner in the sump longer than any mineral oil.
I think the blend of base oils to be very similar.
I will be returning to Visco 5000 at my service.

Regards
Jeff White

I'd say a 5w-40 or 10w-40 full synthetic is the best bet here. ANY 0w-40 is going to shear significantly in a turbocharged engine and won't give you any better wear protection than an ACEA, A3/B4 rated 5w-30 or 10w-30.

Delvac 1 would be an excellent alternative if you wanted to try something else.

Tooslick

Hi,
The oil looking cleaner is not necessarily a good thing and not really a test of how good the oil is. A good qaulity oil such as Delvac 1, which I would recommened in your car, will probably darken up fairly quickly due to it cleaning of the internals.

Another oil you could try, as it is available in Melbourne through some Autobarn stores, is Motul 300v. Ester based oil and cheaper than Redline. I use it in 4 cars currently including a turbo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back