Double Dose of Techron Concentrate Plus FI Cleaner

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought two 12oz bottles of Techron Concentrate Plus Fuel Injector cleaner. Each bottle is 12oz and treats up to 12 gallons. Since my gas tank is 18.5 gallons, I poured in two bottles of Techron to have a higher ratio of it in the gas tank. Is it safe to do? The 20oz bottles of the stuff were not available at the time which treat up to 20 gallons. I figure a higher concentration ca achieve better results? I also did this right prior to filling up at a BP station with Amoco Ultimate 93 octane. Thanks for the advice.

P.S. The car always sees 93 octane and I have ran BG44k through the gas tank about 10k ago. I think I should be good to go for a while now after the double dose of 12oz of Techron.

Yea, I've doesd it up too, no biggie on mine, felt it in the but(t) dyno...
grin.gif

How old is the oil? Ya may want to consider changing it if it's due soon.

I was def. planning on changing the oil after the gas tank is used up as there may be fuel in the oil from the additive.

It seems possible that going beyond a certain concentration will have bad side-effects on something related to combustion. It may change fuel properties like octane, energy density, stoichiometric ratio, etc. I'm not saying 2 bottles did harm but considering that costs twice as much as 1 bottle and it may have side-effects...wouldn't keep doing it.

Orrrrrr,

If you're concerned, run the tank down some, 3/4th or so, then fill up the tank!

The solution can be dilution.
grin.gif

You're safe with this. This works out to about 30% over-concentration, so I wouldn't do it as routine procedure. I would say maybe every 10,000-12,000 miles or so, if you think it needs it.

The operative wording on the bottle was "up to" 12 gallons. Each of your bottles treated 9.25 gallons of fuel. Your treatment rate was approx 1.3 oz/gal, 30% above the minimum treat rate of 1.0 oz/gal.

When working with a particularly dirty car (combustion chamber and injector dirty), or one with a persistent restricted or leaky injector, I sometimes run a full dose on a 1/2 tank of fuel. It doesn't hurt a thing. Might even help.

On my trip from Seattle to North Texas in my "new" 1963 Supercharged Avanti, I used "premium", of course, and kept dumping in a full bottle of Techron Plus every partial fill up. After 800 - 1000 miles, baby was really humming. The last 1200 miles were quite a fine experience. I have been using only top-tier premium since, but see no need for the Techron.

Quote:

I bought two 12oz bottles of Techron Concentrate Plus Fuel Injector cleaner. Each bottle is 12oz and treats up to 12 gallons. Since my gas tank is 18.5 gallons, I poured in two bottles of Techron to have a higher ratio of it in the gas tank. Is it safe to do? The 20oz bottles of the stuff were not available at the time which treat up to 20 gallons. I figure a higher concentration ca achieve better results? I also did this right prior to filling up at a BP station with Amoco Ultimate 93 octane. Thanks for the advice.

P.S. The car always sees 93 octane and I have ran BG44k through the gas tank about 10k ago. I think I should be good to go for a while now after the double dose of 12oz of Techron.

So, can I use a steady dose of Top Tier Premium (Shell V Power) and get the same results as using Techron? Assuming one bottle is $10, I can fill my car with about 40 gallons of premium for the same cost.

Quote:

So, can I use a steady dose of Top Tier Premium (Shell V Power) and get the same results as using Techron? Assuming one bottle is $10, I can fill my car with about 40 gallons of premium for the same cost.

smile.gif
You need to be careful here about accepting anecdotal for fact, but at least I am honest and state up front that this is anecdotal.

1. I stopped putting in the Techron when baby started purring. I may put in some BG 44K after a couple K or so.
2. I suspect that most Top Tier Premiums already have Techron type additives. Chevron explicitly states that its Top Tier Premium is blended with Techron
3. That being the case, then using that premium is presumably getting a "maintenance" dose of the additive.
4. I do know that baby does not like no-top tier premiums. Baby belches, and runs rough.

grin.gif

I'd measure properly, and treat twice.
I'm doing a double treatment on my car, as I am desperate for more mileage.

Right now Motomaster Ultra Fuel System Cleaner, next tank is RedLine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back