10w-30 comparison based on tech specs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Without having VOA's or UOA's, which one of these two CI-4 10w-30 oils is preferred:

Delo 400 Rot. T Multi PLUS
Viscosity, Kinematic
cSt at 100°C 11.1 11.9
Viscosity Index 150 155
Flash Point, °C(°F) 226(439) 210 (410)
Pour Point, °C(°F) -42(-44) -40(-40)
Sulfated Ash, wt % 1.34 1.3
Base Number,
ASTM D 2896 10.1 11.0

(the columns lined up when I entered the data)

I only posted data that was available for both.

Thanks.

Does one think every ounce of oil in every bottle will meet same specs?...The two look close...I like looking at factory specs just as much as the next bitoger but when they are this close there is no better oil...Which one is on sale?...
dunno.gif

I know nothing about these oils, so take my 2 cents of info for what it is worth.

I agree with Camu. One might guess that the Rotella seems to slightly edge out the Delo. BUT, my learning here tells me that an oil with slightly lower TBN could be equal or better IF the add pack quality is better and it losses "potency" slower. Follow me? The numbers don't tell the whole story.

The late Stinky Peterson showed me data of "shearing" of 18 different HDEO's and based on this data alone, some of the highly regarded oils scored less than some of the lesser brands (which didn't correlate to overall performance). He stated that after doing tens of thousands of UOA's on commercial equipment, even he could not identify the "holy grail" oil.

So, yes, Camu is correct and you are guessing until you do some UOA comparisons (maybe).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back