2005 Freightliner 338,000 miles; Detroit motor

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is from my first oil analysis. I have a 2005 Freightliner with 338,000 miles when this was done. Detroit motor. It was 15,000 since last oil change and I don't know what kind of oil was put in. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

Iron 46
Chromium 3
Nickel 1
Aluminum 5
Copper 12
tin Silver Titanium Silicon 4
Boron 14
Sodium 9
Molybdenum 45
Phosphorus 987
Zinc 1143
Calcium 1843
Barium < 10
mangnesium 543
Antimony Vanadium

Fuel % vol Fuel soot .3
Wtr %Vol Vis Cs 100'c 13.0
Sae Grade 40
Gly Test neg

Looks good to me. I do not claim to be an expert. How many quarts of oil does it take? Did you add oil over the 15,000 interval?

Curious how you don't know what type oil was used? I assume you used an oil change service at a dealer or service center? Could you call them? I would expect that whoever did the work would consistently use the same product.

What type filter system do you run? Do you run a bypass system? If so, brand and size?

What service do you use for the oil analysis? Several here use Blackston because they provide not only current data, but historical and average data. I realize it's your first sample, but they would include comments and averages for your type engine.

The iron is the only thing that stands out, while not out of line I would think you could do better. But maybe the truck sat for a while during this OCI and this is just a little corrosion? Everything else looks to be doing good.
A little shearing down to a 13.0 as I am assuming this started as a 15w-40 initially close to 15 cst @ 100C.
This add package reminds me of a particular oil but cannot remember just which one right now, maybe a Mobil conventional with the high magnesium and low calcium? I am not particularly fond of the high mag. blends.
I would guess at around a 10gal sump for this engine.

Quote:

Curious how you don't know what type oil was used? I assume you used an oil change service at a dealer or service center? Could you call them? I would expect that whoever did the work would consistently use the same product.

What type filter system do you run? Do you run a bypass system? If so, brand and size?

What service do you use for the oil analysis? Several here use Blackston because they provide not only current data, but historical and average data. I realize it's your first sample, but they would include comments and averages for your type engine.

I bought this used from Freightliner of Miami. I'm not sure if it was them who changed the oil before I bought it. This was a Covenant truck and from them it has to go through some inspection before Freightliner takes them back in.

I'm embarrassed to say I don't know the type of filter. I'm clueless to the mechanical stuff but am learning. If last year someone told me that I'd be posting on a site like this, well lets just say I never in a million years would have thought that.

I used the service that TA (where I got my oil change done. It was from Shell Lube Analyst but do plan on using Blackstone. Shell would have given averages for my type of engine too, but TA didn't fill out the thing completely.

Quote:

Looks good to me. I do not claim to be an expert. How many quarts of oil does it take? Did you add oil over the 15,000 interval?

Took 38 quarts and I did not have to add any oil over the interval.

Hard to tell with one UOA - the oil is pricey look at the Sb. That could be Schaeffers 132. As far as wear metals - nothing out of line here. The Mg ? - look at other Schaeffers UOA's ans see if you can find similar.

Quote:

Quote:

I bought this used from Freightliner of Miami. I'm not sure if it was them who changed the oil before I bought it. This was a Covenant truck and from them it has to go through some inspection before Freightliner takes them back in.

I'm embarrassed to say I don't know the type of filter. I'm clueless to the mechanical stuff but am learning. If last year someone told me that I'd be posting on a site like this, well lets just say I never in a million years would have thought that.

I used the service that TA (where I got my oil change done. It was from Shell Lube Analyst but do plan on using Blackstone. Shell would have given averages for my type of engine too, but TA didn't fill out the thing completely.

I live in Miami and I hope you got a good truck. I have seen over the years how people drive their vehicles in Miami. As you know, there is no "rush hour", it's rush day here.
driving.gif

probably a low priced bulk 40w oil, maybe even one of the reprocessed recycled

iron is probably from the rings
are you running ULSD in it?

run a diesel additive especially if you have to run ULSD
run LSD if you can still get it

a high calcium, ZDDP oil such as MC or Delo 400 will help your rings with ULSD

with a little TLC this Detroit should have another 200k>300k in it before a major

Good luck on the road. I seem to recall that Covenant runs teams, so those trucks probably have low idle hours. At any rate, I'd get the engine hours and find out the average speed it's been run at, preferably 50 mph or above. Idle hours are tough on any motor.

MIght be easiest to run factory recommendations and then trend the engine oil through the first three changes.

338,000 miles in 3 years, It would have to have been run in teams, 100,000 a year is pretty hard for one guy to put on a truck. That would have the Detoit Series 60. What HP rating? It will be on the tag on the side of the engine block. If I recall we had a 450 and it had 3 oil filters. One larger and two smaller the same filters. Oil would turn black quick, But they were trying to clean that up. Last series 60 we had was 1993. Iam sure they made alot of improvements.

Hi,
Panzerman - early Series 60 engines had two FF filters and a by-pass filter. Later engines had only two FF filters

My utilisation (legal) of Linehaul trucks was an average of 225k kms (140k miles) per year with a single driver

DDEC3 and later engines were "dirtier" as the EGR and other emmission controls kicked in

Regards

Last edited:
I agree with Hammer this looks like Mobil Delvac 1300 Super CI-4+. The Mag, and Moly are in the right range.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back