Which spec 229.51 oil would you use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have just purchased a MB with a 3 liter diesel and the manual says to use a 229.51 spec oil. I goes on to say that the only approved oils are:
Mobil 1 ESP Formula M 5W-40
Valvoline SynPower MST 5W-30
ELF Solaris LSX 5W-30
What oil would you use?
Dieselfan

All the oils listed in this site link are exactly what is in the manual for our vehicle. It is a 2008.
Which of these oils would you use and why?
Mobil 1 is the factory fill or at least there is a sticker on the radiator supt that is from Mobil 1

Quote:

I'm not sure how up to date this is:

http://www.whnet.com/4x4/oil.html

Scroll to the bottom.

What year is your MB?

I would use what is available locally at a reasonable price. This usually isn't the case with certain OE spec'd oils.

As long as the oil change interval is reasonable, any should perform perfectly. I would lean toward the thicker 40wts for southerners, and 30wts for northerners.

The MB 229.51 spec is for a long-life, low-SAPS oil with high-temperature shear resistance.

I haven't been down to the local NAPA to see if in fact they have the 229.51 Synpower MST, but I have a case (12L) of Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 from AV Lubricants and a case (12 qts) of Amsoil AFL 5W-40. The Elf Solaris LSX is available from the Performance Oil Store in 5L jugs.

I just ordered a case of ten oil filters from Germanfilters.com, as well as an extra fuel filter. The stealership sells the oil filter, if they even have them, for 2.5x as much. Who knows what they'd charge for the fuel filter?

Peruse this thread on Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30. Also, this thread with analysis results of Mobil 1 5W-30 ESP at 4000 miles. I sent in a 5K sample and should have the results back early next week.

Mobil has both a 5W-30 and a 5W-40 version of 229.51-approved Mobil 1 ESP - depending on what you want. AVlube.com is the only place I've seen either oil as well.

Can't you use CI-4+ rated oils in North America?

Personally I would just use 15W-40 Delo 400. These Group II HDEO's rival the performance of synthetics.

Quote:

Sure, CI-4+ oils can be used in north America, just not in the MB OM642 turbodiesel.
tongue.gif

There are NO dino oils, and few synthetics (at least in north America) that meet the MB 229.51 spec.

feedtroll.gif

Sticker under hood of new Mercedes cautions not to add ANY QUANTITY of non 229.51 oil.

Originally Posted By: correct
Sticker under hood of new Mercedes cautions not to add ANY QUANTITY of non 229.51 oil.

SHOW ME WHERE Maxlife Synthetic

oil is rated 229.51

I'd be in you debt

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: boxcab
Quote:

Sure, CI-4+ oils can be used in north America, just not in the MB OM642 turbodiesel.
tongue.gif

There are NO dino oils, and few synthetics (at least in north America) that meet the MB 229.51 spec.

feedtroll.gif

NO OIL in the USA meets this spec and that is why it is nuts . ( Except Mobil ESP oil that can not be found except by special order and expense )

Are you going to tell me that no US oil can handle the MBenz engine ?

I await your reply

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back