Lexus IS300-Turbo, got my first UOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
My car currently has about 42k miles on it. 9k of that being turbo'd (10-11 psi daily, and 16 psi max).
I used to use Mobil 1 Synthetic 5w30, but recently switched to M1 TDT 5w40 because of the recommendations here.
The oil tested was M1 TDT 5w40 (not 5w30 truck/suv listed in the analysis).
I'm a bit worried about the copper, but I'm pretty sure blackstone is correct that it is my air filter
because I havent cleaned/lubed it since day one, only because it really doesnt look that dirty.
Its the K&N cone filter, has anyone had problems with their K&N? I hear that they are great for flow,
but dont filter as well as they should.I think I might try something else probably AFE.
Also, my TBN is 4.6 and thats after driving super hard and boosting all the time. I knew I was going to sample my oil so I pushed
my car a bit harder than I usually do to really see if this oil can handle. How many more miles do you think I can add to my
future OCI's with a current TBN of 4.6 at 5k OCI?

...btw USPS Priority and Blackstone were super fast! I changed my oil on Friday, shipped it out on Saturday afternoon,
and I got the email from Blackstone Monday early afternoon!

blackstone.jpg

I wouldn't push it any further because I don't like how high insolubles are for only 5k. I dunno what to say about the copper. I'm not an expert.

Quote:

What oil filter?
There's more to extending OCIs than just the TBN.

I'm using the stock filter on the Lexus/Toyota LS430, Sequoia. There are 2 versions of them. I'm going to switch to the other one and see how it goes this time.

K&N's are very over rated and in time the oil you use on the filter can gunk up your intake.. ditch the k&N and go with a good paper filter. maybe you can research to find which one will give you the similar properties that you desire from K&N..... it will be far cleaner. imo k&n sucks

Quote:

K&N's are very over rated and in time the oil you use on the filter can gunk up your intake.. ditch the k&N and go with a good paper filter. maybe you can research to find which one will give you the similar properties that you desire from K&N..... it will be far cleaner. imo k&n sucks

sounds good to me. i'll look into something better. thanks

Quote:

Honda makes a cone paper filter for the S2000 which may work for your application.

thanks, but the inlet diameter is too small i need a 4".
im considering the aem dry flow, and the afe pro dry. leaning more towards the aem because its easier to find and probably very similar to the afe.

I used to use a K & N in my 2001 Saab 9-3 Se, which was max boosting at 15.5 and typically around 10-11 like yourself. I showed high silicon values to. I changed my kn to a Napa Paper filter, and bingo, no more silicon.

Chromium of 4 is about 4 times higher than you should see and I think it's from dirt ingestion polishing (euphemism for destroying) your piston rings.

Hopefully a different air filter will fix the situation.

thanks everyone for your help. i just ordered an aem dryflow filter. it should be better.

So I finally cleaned out my kn filter today and that thing was disgusting. Fine sand was all over the filter, and after washing it there was sand all over in the bottom my sink. Upon closer inspection of the filter I found small areas were it rubbed against my radiator and caused some openings for larger particles to get in...def not good. I let it dry, put some rubber sealant on those areas, then oiled it. Its going in the trash after I receive my new filter. I hope the insolubles that sucked in did not damage/scar my engine components that bad...:(

Last edited:
Practice a couple short OCI's(3k) to rinse out the Si ingested.
Then, hopefully everything will look better.

If there is room, a bigger filter(FL400 or PH8a) could also be considered. You'll get slightly more filtering area and additional oil capacity. Also, if there is any airflow around the filter, the larger filter could help with oil cooling.

Another oil to try is Mobil1 HM 10w40 or the Euro 0w40.

thanks for the tip!
im currently using the larger oem filters on the lexus v8's, however, my batch of filters are made in thailand (bad quality batch) compared to the japan made versions. So you recommend the kn and fram filters? I was thinking about trying out a amsoil or pure one filter.
im trying to find a source for the m1 0w40, but no luck so far here in socal. thanks

Filter brand if for you to choose. But Carquest/Napa/Wix are good choices 51516/51515. You can x-reference the PN's/sizes with any brand.
Since you're stressing your motor, I wouldn't invest in a fancy oil filter. Invest in more frequent oil changes. Supertech ST3600 or ST8a are cheap enough to trial fit, and either should have no problem with 3k/3mo OCI's.

I'll take your advice. I'm going to stick with the larger v8 oem filters cause they are only ~3.00 each and start doing 3k OCI's. That will give me a piece of mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back