Amsoil TRO 20W-50, has it been reformulated?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just ordered about 100quarts of Amsoil racing oil. I mainly went with this oil because of the good results that a friend of mine have had with this oil and that I will get a good price as well.

Since this oil has been around for a while and alot has happened in the last 10years, I was just curious if this oil has been reformulated during this period?

Sorry if this topic has been up before, this is my first post here and I did do a search but did not find anything.

Since it now meets API SM/CF, it would be a good guess that it has been "adjusted" some.
TYPICAL PHYSICAL PROPERTIES

AMSOIL Series 2000 Synthetic 20W-50 Racing Oil (TRO)

Kinematic Viscosity @ 100°C, cSt (ASTM D-445)

Kinematic Viscosity @ 40°C, cSt (ASTM D-445)

Viscosity Index (ASTM D-2270)

Cold Crank Simulator Apparent Viscosity @ -15°C, cP (ASTM D-5293)
5816 (-15)

High Temperature/High Shear @ 150°C and 1.0 X 106 s-1 , cP (ASTM D 4683)

Pour Point °C (°F) (ASTM D 97)
-39 (-38)

Flash Point °C (°F) (ASTM D 92)
244 (471)

Fire Point °C (°F) (ASTM D 92) 258 (496)

Noack Volatility (DIN 51581) 250°C for 1 hour, % weight loss 4.5

Four-Ball Wear Test (ASTM D 4172: 60kg, 150°C, 1800 rpm, 1 hr) Scar diameter, mm 0.43

Total Base Number

what car are you using on?

i am using the 0W-30 TSO and have been getting great response for my car, esp when it's hitting the VTEC

right now i only had 1 qt left in my storage so i go with M1 with no other choice and it sucks

Quote:

what car are you using on?

i am using the 0W-30 TSO and have been getting great response for my car, esp when it's hitting the VTEC

right now i only had 1 qt left in my storage so i go with M1 with no other choice and it sucks

Well, this is no VTEC-engine with tight clearences. It is a 428cui Mopar smallblock dynoed to 683hp 585tq on pump gas. I'm not looking to squeeze out the last pony out of it, I want the "best" protection for it since I will put some streetmiles on it as well.
As was stated above, the HTHS is 5.8 which in my book is really good.

Thanks for your answers

Sounds like a nice engine?...What's the weather like there in Sweden?...Are you gonna drive the beast during the winter?
cheers.gif

I would use a heavy duty engine oil ,I am sure there is some feul dilution . I have run for years HDEO oils in my flat bottom drag boats with great results. My engines are big block Chevs and are rev linited. at 7,500rpm .I really think syn oil is not needed unless you do nascar as probably you can't run it at wide open throttle very long before you run out of road.

Camu, the weather today was sunny and the warm temperature of 55*F
wink.gif
...and, no, in no way am I going to drive this car with 16.5" of ET Street tires during the blistering cold and winter snow, hehe.

Steve S, your probably right about not needing syn oil for the engine but I need it for some peace of mind. Also, I think that with the spring pressures I run I want the best oil that I can get. I had a choice to run Redline, Mobil1 or Amsoil, and I went with Amsoil. Right or wrong
dunno.gif

If it was adjusted my guess would be the phosphorous level had to come down. I've run the TRO through the winter in some of my Subaru's before; the engines run very quiet on it, no noticeable mileage decrease, just a great oil!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back