How tight to screw the oil filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tighten as tight as I can by hand then a 1/4 turn with the tool. My cousin just hand tightens and hes never had a problem. This came up once in our conversation.

I tighten the oil filter by hand till my hernia rips open again from the stress
crazy.gif
. I'm old now
frown.gif
when I was young that that would have twisted the filter canister. But in my "twilight years" that is just about right for the oil filter tightening
laugh.gif

Whimsey

No need to tighten it any more then 3/4 turn AFTER the gasket touches. I've never needed a wrench to loosen a filter and never had one leak.

Some owners need to wean themselves off the oil filter wrench. To do this, on your next oil change with the car up on the ramps do your oil change and install the new filter but only turn it 1/2 turn past initial contact with an oiled gasket. Start you engine and see that it does not leak. Now give it that extra 1/4 turn, just to make sure, and test it again. You can now save that wrench for removing the filter only.

It's nice to have all the manly types chime in and show off their testosterone. Not all filters are easily accessible by hand... and even if they are, I don't want to cramp my hand by getting the necessary 3/4 turn. I use a wrench. That's what tools are for.

Quote:

It's nice to have all the manly types chime in and show off their testosterone. Not all filters are easily accessible by hand... and even if they are, I don't want to cramp my hand by getting the necessary 3/4 turn. I use a wrench. That's what tools are for.

I hope your not talking about me, because I am not manly, and have more more estrogen than testosterone. If I put them on by hand I can take them off by hand. If someone else put them on then a filter wrench is generally needed. I think all the ones I have done have been on domestics.

I don't even own a filter wrench. Turn them on as tight as I can without killing myself (usually about 3/4 - 1 turn after the gasket makes contact) and they always come off with about the same tension. Never had a filter come loose or leak, never needed an oil filter wrench or anything but my hand to take it off. Then again, I'm only fifteen years old, so probably not all that strong, hahaha.

Quote:

I don't even own a filter wrench. Turn them on as tight as I can without killing myself (usually about 3/4 - 1 turn after the gasket makes contact) and they always come off with about the same tension. Never had a filter come loose or leak, never needed an oil filter wrench or anything but my hand to take it off. Then again, I'm only fifteen years old, so probably not all that strong, hahaha.

Regardless of your age (good to see younger people on this board as well) the way you're doing it is, in my opinion, the best way to do it. It's also the way I've always done it, and never had any issues at all. I see no need for a wrench at all, unless you're changing the oil on a car that was previously dealer serviced, and you can't get the oil filter off for the life of you. However, I found that if you don't own a wrench, something that works really good is using one of those pickle jar openers. That usually gets stuck filters off for me. I've haven't even had to use my oil filter wrench yet.

Quote:

It's also the way I've always done it, and never had any issues at all.

6 months ago you posted that you had just performed your first oil change ever. So that's the way you've always done it for 6 months?
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back