Harley engine life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
offtopic.gif

Well, that isn't me in the video, that's Rick (aka Yellow Wolf). That guy has the biggest mouth in the country. However, it isn't bragging if you can do it.... If you listen, you can hear plenty of scraping.

However, this picture is of me... sparks and all. It's a shame, to have an $16,000 motorcycle, and then treat it this way... (with Amsoil MCF in the crankcase).

img_2582-1.jpg

approved.gif

Wizzells,

You're right, some of the later model Evo engines did have some cam bearing issues. I researched this, and it seems that while it is relatively rare for it to happen, when it does the mechanics recommend going back to the earlier style bearing used prior to 1992.

Dan

We don't even use Harley bearings in those applications when doing replacements. We've had much better luck with the Torrington B-138. Same with Twin Cams, though it's a B-148 for those

Let me chime in with my own experience. My stock 1997 FLSTC had a little over 30k miles on it and the pinion shaft race worked its way off the shaft and wreaked havoc with the cam gears. Mechanics said "that shouldn't have happened." Complete rebuild (not all stock parts - Torrington bearings and several mods) at my expense. I've been using Amsoil since the rebuild. Now with 63k miles, the engine is vibrating excessively and the mechanics are claiming it is time for the crankshaft to be replaced, typical for an Evo with this mileage. Not very reliable or durable from my perspective. I think the 400k+ miles without repairs is more the exception.

Quote:

Let me chime in with my own experience. My stock 1997 FLSTC had a little over 30k miles on it and the pinion shaft race worked its way off the shaft and wreaked havoc with the cam gears. Mechanics said "that shouldn't have happened." Complete rebuild (not all stock parts - Torrington bearings and several mods) at my expense. I've been using Amsoil since the rebuild. Now with 63k miles, the engine is vibrating excessively and the mechanics are claiming it is time for the crankshaft to be replaced, typical for an Evo with this mileage. Not very reliable or durable from my perspective. I think the 400k+ miles without repairs is more the exception.

I think you need to find another shop. These guys are nuts if they are saying the crank needs to be replaced "typically" at 63K miles.

I agree with you G-Man. I had a 1996 softail custom, I passed it on to a family member and it now is aproaching 87,000 miles. No engine work at all. Clutch plates were replaced @ 63,000 if you want to count that. The bike runs great does not smoke and on its last ride (16 hour run to Sturgis it used maybe a 1/2 pint of oil. Reg maintence and oil changes @3000 to 4000 miles. If interested. It started out on a steady diet of HD Dino oil the first 10,000 mile. Then Mobil 1 up to around 60,000. Since then it has seen several differnt oils. Most recent has been Mystk syn-blend 15w50. I Only get to see the bike a couple times a summer. But she sure is running well and It is still my all time Fav HD bike I have owned to date.

Quote:

I disagree that Evo's with 63K "typically" need crank/flywheel replacement, however they are not immune to problems. If the flywheels have shifted even .005" you will feel a vibration. Once you get above .010" you start to see the life of the crank bearings deteriorate rapidly.
That being said performance work can wreak havoc on that crank pin! We recently had an '07 Twin cam in our shop that had been built up a bit putting out 105 HP, 105 TQ. He was back after 3000 miles for a nasty engine vibration. Pinion shaft runout was .030"!!! No doubt the guy ran the snot out of it, but no doubt that the performance work didnt help the life of that crank either.

If I were you and the shop was telling me that I needed a new crank I would be asking about the runout on the pinion shaft. Find out what that number is. If it is indeed beyond spec, then you know your bottom end has had it.

If that is the case your best bang for the buck is a Remanufactured engine through Harley. $2195 + the shop's labor gets you darn near everything new or refurbished inside that engine. New Cases, New cylinders, pistons and rings, recondition or replace heads, new cam, oil pump, Recondition the crank (if possible) other wise it gets replaced. EVERYTHING gets done. It's the best deal going as far as getting an engine back to like new condition. I guarantee that no one else can replace or recondition that many parts for that price. So, if the bike is at a dealer, ask about this service.

My dad used the HD factory engine service and you're right - nothing like it. Plus a warranty.

The engine's not apart yet, he was just speculating as to the cause for the vibration. It really surprised me that he would say an evo typically needs this work done. I'll look into the factory remanufacture before I get anything done.

Quote:

As far as the quality of individual bearings, produced by an outside source, failing in some individual models (and it was only a few 1999 and 2000 models which were affected by these bad bearings) that isn't a Harley Davidson QC issue; it's a matter of the supplier of the bearings not delivering quality parts.

Dan

If a supplier is using inferior parts, no matter whom the supplier is or end user is, it is up to the end user to determine quality control. I work in aviation, aviation manufacturers have items that are made to 'specs' of the mfg, as does HD, or any other MC mfg. that being said, I have to inspect that part prior to installing it to ensure it meets that spec. I cannot simply throw the part on, and after it fails and kills 300 people on a flight, just say, "oh well, they made it, not us, too bad, we're not to blame". That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. the end user, read: MFG, is ultimately responsible for EVERY part that ends up on that item.
I know that several HD's are having Cam bearing, and Cam tensioner problems, and most dealers are not repairing it under warranty. And most cases I have seen and heard are happening between 40K and 60K. While I am not saying other MC manufactures are not having their own issues with model bikes, and I know there are XXX amount of HD's on the road with No problems at all, I do not believe that just 'Biker wannabies", with a HD stuff, are the only ones complaining.HD is in a unique position to act pretty much any way they like on an issue because nothing is hurting their sales, their HD clothes line brings in more $$ than the bikes do!
I ride with a group every Sunday. There are 10 core riders, of that, All ride HD's except for myself and another, who rides a small Vulcan. I also have a 883 Sportster, which, BTW, has been trouble free with 6K on it. I always ride my 1983 GS1100 Suzuki. 3 of the HD's have failed, one with stator, one with cam chain tensioner, one with some other kind of cam problem that happened at Sturgis. that bike was traded for a new one at Rapid City. In seven years, the Suzuki has failed once, and the other bikes failed as I just described. Would I buy another HD? yes, I would, would I buy another Suzuki? yes, I would. the point being every mfg has a problem, but also every MFG is responsible for its end product quality as well. Now before you spank my monkey over this, I am talking about people who do not abuse their bikes, and service them on a regular basis, most with HD fluids, and a couple with Mobile one/amsoil.

I'm under the impression that the Evo Sportster is the best engine H-D makes. I had a 1992 (883 Standard) and never had any problems with it. Am still considering another bike if I can talk the better half into it. She works in a hospital and sees M/C injuries frequently. Next time I'll probably go with the 1200 Roadster. Was considering one of the big bikes but too expensive for a toy.

i understand that HD had cam bearing problems when they switched from a TORRINGTON bearing to an INA ( inner cam bearing ) somewhere in 1992

the reasoning for it, IIRC, was that the INA bearing had less rollers or needles than the TORRINGTON and would thus be a little more tolerant to mis-alignment. this could happen as the outer cam bearing was a bush in the nose cone

i own a 1992 fatboy ( november 1991 build ), have since new, 60,000 miles on it. when i replaced the cam with an EV 3, they replaced the bearing, but it was already a TORRINGTON, so may not have had to change it

How one could compare an import to a Harley is beyond me, but I’ll admit that I was a Harley basher before I owned one. I’ve been riding since the 60’s, owning several British, Japanese and Harley scoots and I’ve always done my own wrenching. I loved my 68’ Bonneville, but I spent more time wrenching on it than I did riding it. The Bonneville was the closest to having a soul like a Harley. The 82’ vintage Kawasaki 1000 / 1100 air-cooled was one of my favorite engines and I put over 100k miles on one, but it wouldn’t compare to a Harley. Constant valve adjustment and keeping an eye out for oiling problems in the head were the norm, Let’s face it; one of the biggest weak points of an import is the wet-sump oil system. In the “old days”, bikers understood their rides and did most of their own maintenance. Harley Davidsons are designed for owner maintenance, but unfortunately most modern day riders neglect their rides and don’t even know how to check their oil level. Properly maintained, an EVO or Twin-Cam will easily go over100K without a rebuild.
In addition, pull some of the plastic off of an import, BMW excepted and look at the quality of workmanship. They don’t even approach the quality or mechanical design of a Harley.

Quote:

In addition, pull some of the plastic off of an import, BMW excepted and look at the quality of workmanship. They don’t even approach the quality or mechanical design of a Harley.

I agree. Last year when I was looking to get another bike after 25 years without one, I did go and look at Japanese bikes (even though I had promised myself my next bike would be a Harley.) I looked closely and none of the paint, polish, or welds on the Japanese bikes I looked at came anywhere close to the quality I saw on the Harleys. One of the Kawasaki cruisers I looked at had PLASTIC fenders. And the ones that had metal fenders seemed to be thinner and less substantial than those on the Harleys.

I'm approaching one year and right at 7000 miles with my Sportster now with zero problems. I've been too busy (and it's been too hot) to ride this summer as much as I would have liked to, but even after sitting for 3 or 4 weeks she fires right up and is ready to go whenever I am.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back