Problems after cleaning throttle body ...stutters

Status
Not open for further replies.
2000 Infiniti G20
Cleaned the throttle body with a throttle body cleaner from Valvoline. Sprayed it in, then wiped with a tooth brush. Now the car stutters for the first three or so accelerations in the morning. Then you feel like it opens up and goes back to normal. If it has been driven and warmed up, it runs fine. Do I need to clean it again? Any suggestions?

you may have lodged some deposits in there somewhere.. can you spray cleaner in the TB while its running?? if so do that. you can control the gas by tinkering with the throttle cable on top of the intake manifold..also you may have fouled a plug which can happen after doing such cleaning

oh wait... are you talking about like as soon as you clean it and put everything back together and drive off it does that? if so thats normal. its just buring the leftover residue.

It sounds like you removed some deposits, and redeposited them.
If possible, take off the throttle body and clean it by hand, and as much as you can reach inside of the manifold.
Or, a solvent dampened rag on a screwdriver may get in there.
It may fix itself as crud burns off.

I cleaned it on Wed. And the last two mornings it has bogged down, the check engine light flashed about 15 seconds, then it was like it there was never a problem and it took off after stuttering. The check engine light went off. My wife said it did the same thing this morning. She said after leaving three stop signs, it just started driving normal.

It runs normal while at operating temp. I probably should have ran the old plugs after cleaning, in case something fouled. I'll pull them and take a look.

It's not so hard to expose the inside of the throttle body, but removing it involves the linkage. I guess I could go that route.

It wasn't running too bad till I 'worked on it'!

Clean it again but this time after you are done rest the coumputer but disconecting the battery cables. SOme times it helps to try and crank the vechile with the battery disconected to make sure all power is drained. Wait 30 minutes and then rehook the battery up. If it is likemost vechile's this will reset any fuzy logic paramet stored in the powertrain control module. The engine might run a bit rough the first couple of day's but it will relearn what the engine likes now that the TB has been cleaned.

OK I have the battery disconnected, and lubed the linkage. I'll let it sit while the I go watch the wife's high school football team play tonight. thx

Thanks! Wouldn't look good having the popo married to a high schooler! Team won on last play. I fired up the ride, which had cooled off, and seemed to run fine now. I'll check it out in the morning and see if the cleaning and disconnecting the battery solved the prob.

So far, so good. I'll have to remember the trick about disconnecting the battery and letting the computer relearn the idle.

Yeah, Today's car are full of fuzy logic. Some computer's will adjust how and whent he vechile shifts as well as how quickly it ramps the throttle based on the primary driver.This can be a blessing or a curse. Like the Toyota 2007 Camry's that are haveing lag time under heavy acceleration only suffer this if the normal driver drives like a 90 year old lady. Then the first time they need to floor it from a standstill the car get's confused and has to think about what to do since this is outside of the norm;s for this driver. Bingo hesistation. Now on the other hand it will give the sunday driver nice smooth denture and coffee friendly shifts and the hard agressive driver sharp,firm denture losening shifts. It will ramp the throttle total different for the two different types of drivers as well.

The other thing it also does is allow the computer to fine tune the fuel mapping,timeing etc.... to suite the indivudual responces of that engine over time. The computer learn's what the engine like's and how it responds to various inputs. So the beta mapp that comes with the car get's modifed as the engine wear's. Now when you make a modification or clean something up you have to reset the computer and let it learn all over again what the car likes. If you try to run the car with the old customized map it would be like wearing shoe's made for another man that he has worn and broken in. In the USA most of us buy off the shelf but when a pair of shoe's are made for you and broken in by you they will not usualy fit anyone else's foot comfortable even if they have the same size foot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back