99 Jetta diesel Amsoil Series 3000 5W-30 20k miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I met this guy who uses Amsoil and said he was going 20k miles on oil with oil filter changes every 5k. Apparently he was told by an Amsoil dealer that this was the best oil for his car and that it was ok to go this long on Amsoil. After hearing this, I suggested that he at least sample the oil to see how it is holding up under these conditions. He just emailed me these results today nearly a year later. I had told him that I would put his results up here on BITOG and hope to get some comments/advice from those that are more familiar with the numbers and his engine. In the mean time he has switched to Amsoil's Euro 5W-40 and 10k intervals.

It seems like these little diesel engines do have some high iron numbers, but it's hard for me to correlate that with the high mileage on the oil. For example, if he has iron of 102ppm, does that mean he would see approx. 25ppm in a 5000 mile run in the same engine? OK here goes my first attempt to post these results:

miles on oil 20,750
miles on unit 150,750
iron 102
chromium 6
lead 33
copper 21
tin 0
aluminum 18
nickel 5
silver 0
silicon 13
boron 2
sodium 0
magnesium 225
calcium 3569
barium 2
phosphorus 1195
zinc 1659
moly 1
fuel visc @ 100 deg C 14.23 cSt
water 0
coolant NO
soot, solids 1.0
TBN 2.73 (flagged as abonormal)
oxidation 35
nitration 41
"TBN is low. Recommend change lube oil and lube oil filter if not already done."

I have already told him that if he wants to continue with these really long oil changes, he should consider using a bypass filter of some sort. I also recommended that he use a 40 weight oil and cut his oil change interval in half.

Not the correct oil, but I wouldn't recommend AFL either.

ACD 10W-30, or in Georgia AME 15W-40, AMO 10W-40 would be good, as well.

The numbers - well I've seen worse at 15K. 20K was too long, but really TBN hung in there. The oil thickened to a SAE 40. And solids at 1% tell you the oil was run too long and spiked the Fe and Pb - if he could keep the solids and soot down, then 20-25K may just be possible.

Some/most of the metal wear numbers are into abnormal zones. The oil thickened to a 40weight. TBN is not that low, but...he changed the oil filter 5 times thus topping off the oil every 5K so he needs to experiment a little. You saved his sole and he will be forever grateful.

I would try the ACD 30wt and a Eao filter for 15K OCI's. "Just say NO, to viscosity improvers."

Quote:

Not the correct oil, but I wouldn't recommend AFL either.

ACD 10W-30, or in Georgia AME 15W-40, AMO 10W-40 would be good, as well.

The numbers - well I've seen worse at 15K. 20K was too long, but really TBN hung in there. The oil thickened to a SAE 40. And solids at 1% tell you the oil was run too long and spiked the Fe and Pb - if he could keep the solids and soot down, then 20-25K may just be possible.

Ya, I agree with Pablo. WOW..
blush.gif

Thanks to all for the comments and suggestions. I will send the owner of this vehicle a link to this page as I had promised him. Also, I believe that he mentioned to me some time ago that he uses biodiesel almost all the time. Not sure if he still does or what impact its use would have on the oil analysis results.

Quote:

Thanks to all for the comments and suggestions. I will send the owner of this vehicle a link to this page as I had promised him. Also, I believe that he mentioned to me some time ago that he uses biodiesel almost all the time. Not sure if he still does or what impact its use would have on the oil analysis results.

Your friend may be interested in this:

http://www.amsoil.com/dealer/techservicesbulletin/TSB_biodiesel.pdf

Read the last parts vert carefully. This may have effected his UOA.

A learned reactive remark Pablo. I would say the alternative feuls are opening a whole new can of worms. something like that.

Quote:

Quote:

A learned reactive remark Pablo. I would say the alternative feuls are opening a whole new can of worms. something like that.

No doubt. One cannot blindly change fuel type and not expect some "feedback".........

Running BioDiesel blend of B20 or lower and your good to go and highly recommend using it. With 216,000 miles on my 2001 TDI Jetta I have been running strong without 1 engine issue. Using same fuel pump, injectors, ect and alot less smoke and engine noise.. Biodiesel does have some cleaning agents that might clean out your fuel system and leave deposits in your fuel filter. Keep filter clean during first initial use and your good to go.

Here is a good fact/myth link: http://www.biodiesel.org/pdf_files/fuelfactsheets/Myths_Facts.pdf

Enjoy

Quote:

miles on oil 20,750
miles on unit 150,750
iron 102
chromium 6
lead 33
copper 21
tin 0
aluminum 18

On paper, at least, Amsoil HDD 5w30 seems like a perfect motor oil. But I've heard that it doesn't work that well in TDIs because of higher-than-normal bearing wear. The wear numbers for lead here seem to confirm that.

The iron number doesn't bother me that much, as it's right at 5ppm per 1000 miles. I would not be too worried by a 50ppm iron number after 10k miles.

The bottom line is that even with make-up oil added after each filter change, the oil thickened and the TBN almost dropped to zero. With such mediocre results, the ultra-expensive HDD doesn't make sense. I am not even sure it would work with a secondary bypass filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back