Chainsaw 2 Stroke engine oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
This feels like a dopey question. I wouldn't be asking for my car, so I don't know if I need to bother for my chainsaw, but here goes: I needed some 2 stroke engine oil for my chainsaw the other day. I went to wally-world and saw a brand for a Poulin (sp?) weed-eater. It was the correct 40:1 ratio that my Craftsman saw needs. Is this ok to use in my chainsaw?

Both the weed whacker and saw are air cooled 2 strokes, and whats works in one should work in the other.
I don't foresee a problem.

Rickey.

You bought the correct oil. Pure motorcycle 2 stroke oils such as Belray or Yamalube will make your Chainsaw or any small 2 stroke run like ----. I dumped some Dirt bike Premix in a Lawnboy once, not good but it doesnt harm them, just loads them up. Most two stroke oils such as the gallon jugs in Walmart are fine though Two stroke engines are very forgiving.

Quote:

Pure motorcycle 2 stroke oils such as Belray or Yamalube will make your Chainsaw or any small 2 stroke run like ----.

I have never found this to be true. I have run Bel-Ray and now use Mobil 1 2T in everything with great results. I think the Mobil 1 2T is the best oil I have found so far.

It was the results I had. I later read a article on that the oil made for water cooled machines didnt react as well with air cooled. I did notice on the back of some 2 stroke oil bottles where they differance between for air cooled or water cooled.

Quote:

It was the results I had. I later read a article on that the oil made for water cooled machines didnt react as well with air cooled. I did notice on the back of some 2 stroke oil bottles where they differance between for air cooled or water cooled.

I think you are thinking of the marine rated oil for outboards. This is made for engines that run at constant speeds and temps. If an oil can stand up to a 2 stroke MX bike engine, it will hold up just fine in a chain saw.

My bolens string trimmer has a carb. that cannot be tuned.To get more fuel in the engine I switched to amsoil sabre at 80:1.
Now it starts easier and has more power.I don't sell motor oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back