Best oil for BMW 335i N54 twin turbo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It does? Anything to back that up? Making those kind of comments on a board like this will get you flamed fairly hard.

I'll back him up. I don't know much about oil I signed on to learn and have you experts correct me. That person and Pablo has helped me more then others getting started and from what I understand Teaelle is correct and this is why. First, I am open to all oil products. Second, I've got to know a successful engine builder who is very sharp in my opinion. His driver was experiencing high oil temps during races. The other well named product wasn't cutting it and he was losing POWER. He switched to 15w-50 Motul 300V. High oil temp is no longer an issue. This car is a Viper but his race cars are Corvette's and Farrari's. He said the oil temp now is good for the weekend before it wasn't. Motul 8100 5w-40 along with the 8100 line is a ester base oil. And it falls within new car warranties. I'm not an expert but I listen to experts including you folks and can tell when someone is piling the sludge. Here are the specs.

8100 X-cess 5W-40

Gasoline and Diesel engine oil
100% Synthetic
TYPE OF USE
Specifically designed for powerful and recent cars fitted with high displacement engines, gasoline,
Direct injection turbo Diesel and catalytic converters.
Numerous car maker approvals make this product multipurpose especially recommended when the
car is under warranty.
Suitable for leaded or unleaded gasoline, Diesel fuels and LPG.

PERFORMANCES
STANDARDS ACEA A3 / B3 / B4
APPROVALS API SL / CF VW 502 00 / 505 00 -BMW ‘Long Life-98’ -PORSCHE Mercedes Benz 229.3 -OPEL/GM Diesel LL B-025
* The OPEL/GM Diesel LL B-025 standard requires two main properties to the lubricant : high HTHS and very low volatility to drastically decrease oil consumption. Motul 8100 X-cess 5W-40 is especially recommended for OPEL 2.0 and 2.2 DTI engines (extended drain interval : computer on board).
* The ACEA B4 performance requires an outstanding detergent/dispersent power and a better viscosity increase resistance due to soot produced by Direct Injection Diesel engines (excep VW unit injector engines that require MOTUL Specific 505.01 5W-40)
* The MB 229.3 standard is more stringent than 229.1 in terms of ageing resistance (extended drain interval : computer on board ), detergent/dispersent power (ACEA B4) and requests fuel economy performance : 1.2% fuel economy improvement versus a 15W-40 reference.

RECOMMENDATION
Drain interval : refer to manufacturers’ recommendations and tune to your own use. MOTUL 8100 X-cess 5W-40 can be mixed with synthetic or mineral oils.
PROPERTIES
Viscosity grade SAE J 300 5W-40
Density at 15°C (59°F) ASTM D1298 0.854
Viscosity at 100°C (212°F) ASTM D445 14.0 mm²/s
Viscosity at 40°C (104°F) ASTM D445 83.1 mm²/s
Viscosity index ASTM D2270 173
Pour point ASTM D97 -39°C / -38°F
Flash point ASTM D92 228°C / 442°F
TBN ASTM D 2896 10.3 mg KOH/g

We retain the right to modify the general characteristics of our products in order to offer to our customers the latest technical development 3682
Product specifications are definitive from the order which is subject to our general conditions of sale and warranty. Made in FRANCE
MOTUL . 119 Bd Félix Faure - 93303 AUBERVILLIERS CEDEX - BP 94 – Tel : 33 1 48 11 70 00 – FAX : 33 1 48 33 28 79 – Site Web : www.motul.fr 09/02

I love anecdotal stories.

Teaelle says that Motul "gives out more horsepower". A blanket statement. He never says how the measurement was made or in comparison to what.

You report a conversation with an engine builder who's driver was "experiencing high oil temperatures during races" and "was losing POWER" with another well named product. At least he quantifies the high oil temperatures.

Now, I have no doubt the Motul products outperform some other products. And I have no trouble believing that some other oil in the same engine had higher oil temperatures. I also have no doubt that the engine builder found that by switching to Motul 300V 15W-50 oil temperatures were reduced. Whether or not increase power was due to: a reduction in oil temperature, better sealing of the rings, or reduced friction and windage losses is not possible to determine. However, in no way does this lead us to Teaelle's conclusion that Motul "gives out more horsepower" apparently than any other oil in the known universe.

I love anecdotal stories.

RLI,

Lot of us don't have a lab to study oils. Some of us look for answers from folks like you. And some of us listen to experts but I ignore the put down of others then I ignore their findings and advice.

Now, I have no doubt the Motul products outperform some other products. And I have no trouble believing that some other oil in the same engine had higher oil temperatures. I also have no doubt that the engine builder found that by switching to Motul 300V 15W-50 oil temperatures were reduced. Whether or not increase power was due to: a reduction in oil temperature, better sealing of the rings, or reduced friction and windage losses is not possible to determine. However, in no way does this lead us to Teaelle's conclusion that Motul "gives out more horsepower" apparently than any other oil in the known universe.

Well apparently it worked for this engine builder. If you want to ask him, ask him yourself. You might learn something new like the rest of us. maltbymotorsports.com

Has the poster decided what he's going to use? I would be interested.

Forest,

Again, it's the blanket statement that I take issue to. I'm glad that Motul worked for this builder. I'd be interested in knowing what the other named oil was that he was having trouble with. StoicDude might have been a bit harsh, but I think his concern is well deserved. Teaelle has been going around posting that Motul "gives out more horsepower" in dozens of threads, and has yet to back up his claim with factual information. You, on the other hand, did give us some facts, and I appreciate that.

I've had a different experience with Motul in my engine in the face of fuel dilution. Motul does not seem to handle fuel dilution well. It may turn out that this is the case with the 335i, also, but that remains to be seen.

I'd be interested in knowing what the other named oil was that he was having trouble with.

I'm going to get it I just know it...
hide.gif
Builder said Mobil 1. He keeps Motul on hand and uses old empty Mobil 1 boxes for his customers.

BTY - What is RLI and where would one buy it?

kind of figured it was M1. That experience is not uncommon when it breaks down under stress, and then engine temperatures get real high.

Interesting. I've saved the pdf's. I will be interested if this solves the 335i problem. I'll stay tuned.

Quote:

Is RLI a BITOG sponsor yet?

Mori,

That is a very good question which should be directed to the management of BITOG. I know personally and directly that RLI has been very vigorous in applying for sponsorship. That they are not now sponsors has nothing to do with their willingness or desire to support BITOG.

Scott

Quote:

Quote:

Is RLI a BITOG sponsor yet?

Mori,

That is a very good question which should be directed to the management of BITOG. I know personally and directly that RLI has been very vigorous in applying for sponsorship. That they are not now sponsors has nothing to do with their willingness or desire to support BITOG.

Scott

Probably has more to do with who IS a sponsor here. Sorry, didn't mean to get off track.

I think it's safe to say that BMW WILL specify only Castrol TWS 10w-60 for the new V8 M3. It's the ONLY oil for EVERY M engine (except the S62) since 2000. It's in the high revving engines - S54 I6 and S85 V10.

TWS's film strength is on par with Motul 300V 15w-50 racing oil. BMW paid Castrol to continue producing the original "Formula RS 10w-60" formula (labeled as TWS) after Castrol reformulated the retail product in 1999.

Quote:

I'm now selling my s2k and am on the waiting list for an '08 M3. I'm starting the research process early for that 420 hp V8 (I'm curious if BMW will recommend the 10w-60 for that engine).

I think its safe to say that the major Euro manufacturers jumped into the Direct Injection+Turbo fray without looking at the what changes would be needed in oil specs. While they engineered their products to the enth degree, I think they forgot to call up the oil guys and tell them that the new engines will tear up most, if not all, of the current oil offerings.

Quote:

I think its safe to say that the major Euro manufacturers jumped into the Direct Injection+Turbo fray without looking at the what changes would be needed in oil specs. While they engineered their products to the enth degree, I think they forgot to call up the oil guys and tell them that the new engines will tear up most, if not all, of the current oil offerings.

shorty, it's not just European manufacturers. US and Japanese manufacturers are jumping on the DI bandwagon for one simple reason ... 5% improvement in fuel economy without the lean burn mode, and 10% improvement in fuel economy with it. That, with a subsequent reduction in emissions, pretty much trumps everything else.

Some of the other guys who track their 335s are experimenting with the Castrol TWS 10w60 and claim significantly lower oil temps on track. I have concern about running this spec in the N54 (turbo bearings, cold start, etc.) when BMW advises a heavy 5w30.

Any thoughts on this?

Quote:

Some of the other guys who track their 335s are experimenting with the Castrol TWS 10w60 and claim significantly lower oil temps on track. I have concern about running this spec in the N54 (turbo bearings, cold start, etc.) when BMW advises a heavy 5w30.

Any thoughts on this?

Higher weight oils will often lower oil temperatures, since the density and thermal mass of the oil is higher, which means that it will provide better heat transfer.

I have no knowledge of higher weight oils in the 335i engine. My recommendation sounds like a broken record: take UOA samples and have Terry Dyson interpret them. $50 for analysis and interpretation of a engine taken on the track is money well spent in my book.

Newer poster here with some experience doing UOA in previous vehicles. However, Im not an engineer or tribologist but rather an accountant/analyst. As such oil and cars are a wonderful hobby for me. I just acquired a daily driver (Mazdaspeed 6) to replace my now garaged Auto RX car (Evolution VIII). As this new car has Direct Injection these conversations have caught my eye. However, I dont see any of the others with the Mazda MZR DISI turbo engines have as much trouble as the AUDI/VW or BMW people. Would anyone care mind hypothesizing or correcting me on this please?

Nearly sold on the RLI product, just leery about doing it before the car reaches 5K miles.

Thank you

I'm surprised. I've run TWS 10w-60, GC 0w-30 and PP 5w-40 (all of which are BMW approved for the application) in my 2003 M5 S62 engine.

The lower the viscosity, the lower the running temperature - TWS runs hottest by about 10 degrees C. The difference increases on the track.

As for TWS and cold-start, it has the same pour point as GC (-54 degrees C) so cold starting is not an issue, at least down to about 0 degrees F.

Quote:

Any thoughts on this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back