Best oil for BMW 335i N54 twin turbo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
since i heard there are so many failures of the new 335i engine

i think that has sth to do with the factory oil (5W-30)

therefore i will stay away from the 5W-30 and go for a better oil

Motul 8100 0W-40 and 5W-40 will be a good choice since they are a Group V oil and they do meet the specs for BMW engines

Quote:

This is the first I've heard of an N54 failure. I'm fairly involved in the CCA here so you'd think I'd heard of failures since the southern CA chapter is the 3rd largest in the country. To date all I've heard of is track related overheating and high oil temps (~290 degrees). Where did you hear of the failures?

Quote:

Motul 8100 0W-40 and 5W-40 will be a good choice since they are a Group V oil and they do meet the specs for BMW engines

Both of those are actually PAO based. I think only the 300V is predominantly ester based.

If you concerned about warranty, I'd use Amsoil 5w-40. Otherwise I'd use RLI 5w-40.

Quote:

Quote:

This is the first I've heard of an N54 failure. I'm fairly involved in the CCA here so you'd think I'd heard of failures since the southern CA chapter is the 3rd largest in the country. To date all I've heard of is track related overheating and high oil temps (~290 degrees). Where did you hear of the failures?

we got guys who work at the BMW dealership in Toronto

Quote:

Quote:

Both of those are actually PAO based. I think only the 300V is predominantly ester based.

If you concerned about warranty, I'd use Amsoil 5w-40. Otherwise I'd use RLI 5w-40.

Motul 8100 is 100% syn, and the 0W-40 is ester based, while the 300V lineup is double ester based

Amsoil is good too, i love AMsoil but Motul just gives out more horsepower

Quote:

It does? Anything to back that up? Making those kind of comments on a board like this will get you flamed fairly hard.

As somebody else stated, there have been reports of the car overheating, but not actually anything that I have seen regarding breakdowns.

Overheating was mainly on track testing, one being Edmunds the other Car and driver if I remember correctly.

Quote:

Quote:

It does? Anything to back that up? Making those kind of comments on a board like this will get you flamed fairly hard.

Actually, I'm inclined to believe the claim. Oils that shear much harder always give better HP.....at least in the shortun.
wink.gif

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Motul 8100 is 100% syn, and the 0W-40 is ester based, while the 300V lineup is double ester based

Although we do not specifically know about the 335i engine, the RS4 FSI engine has destroyed pretty much every PAO and Ester based oil known to man, including M1 0W-40, Amsoil 5W-40 Euro, Motul 8100 Etech -W-40 and Motul 300V 5W-40. Fuel dilution in the engine, which is also a problem with the 335i, causes all of those oils to break down within 3K miles, causing increased wear, viscosity shear, high consumption, and deposit formation. Along with those oils, we've also seen Elf and Castrol in the engine.

Through my work with Terry Dyson, we have created a special formulation of Renewable Lubricants BioSyn 5W-40, that is specifically designed to fight fuel dilution and decrease wear substantially. Information on that oil and our work is discussed in the following thread, which is an on-going discussion of the project.

RLI BioSyn 5W-40 oil thread

The oil is designed to be a well-built street/racing oil, designed to stand up to high temperature and stress of an 8000 rpm/ 420 HP engine.

Fastterd ... holy bad dung. That's the worst fuel dilution I've ever seen. Your analysis makes the RS4 look great!

Somehow I think you're going to be running RLI BioSyn 5W-40 sooner, rather than later. I assume you seen the work Terry and I have done with this formula on the Audi RS4?

Quote:

Here is my 335i data you were looking for
http://www.maderafina.com/07 335i.pdf

Anyone want to venture a guess what the fuel dilution will be on my original oil (it's a lease) with 9k miles and a couple track days? Thanks for posting your results. I will post my 9k oil for comparison when Terry is done. It should be interesting.

Out of curiosity, how did you break in the engine?

Last edited:
Quote:

Quote:

Here is my 335i data you were looking for
http://www.maderafina.com/07 335i.pdf

Anyone want to venture a guess what the fuel dilution will be on my original oil (it's a lease) with 9k miles and a couple track days? Thanks for posting your results. I will post my 9k oil for comparison when Terry is done. It should be interesting.

Once it sludges up, maybe it seals the rings real well.
thumbsup.gif

Quote:

Once it sludges up, maybe it seals the rings real well.
thumbsup.gif

Right funny. Well the new one I pick up this weekend will get the proper TLC since I'm buying it. Can you explain why the DI engines have such a problem with this fuel dilution and why the oil manufacturers haven't been able to keep pace with their demands? BMW and Audi must know there are issues with the current oil yet these manufacturers still recommend insane OCIs - especially BMW since maintenance is included.

What are your thoughts about getting the BMW 5w30 out of there right away and going with RLI 5w40 during break in? Bad idea?

Last edited:
reb, based on the data I have RLI works well on break-in, also. I'd change over as soon as you are comfortable. If you look at vehicle 9 in the following spreadsheet, you'll see a car that switched over to RLI at a little over 600 miles. It shows a very good early wear and fuel dilution profile.

As for why BMW and Audi not seeing this as a problem, I'm not sure. But I think they have been blinded by their European testing, where both engines can run in the lean burn mode, which should reduce dilution quite a bit.

RS4 wear data

Hello everyone! I'm new here, and have a '08 BMW M3 coming this spring. Has anyone ever tested the Lubrication Engineers 8530 (5w-30) or 8130 (10w-30)? I've heard excellent things about these oils and wonder if the 8530 wouldn't work quite well in the 335i. I'm trying to do as much research as possible to determine the best oil for my M3 before it arrives. FYI, this oil web site is great! All the postings really make research easy!

I've not seen much useful information about LE 8130 on BITOG. Probably the most useful and reliable comment I've gotten so far is from Terry Dyson about using it in my S2000 on another thread:
"A very well made motor oil that shows exceptionally well in oil analysis and observation over the years. Use with confidence in the S2000 and VERIFY with analysis to be sure for YOUR application."

Indymac, yep, s2ki.com is where I first learned about Lubrication Engineers from a poster named "RoadRage" (I wonder what ever happened to him...great guy who was full of knowledge)! Anyways, been using it in my S2000 ever since with great results! I'm now selling my s2k and am on the waiting list for an '08 M3. I'm starting the research process early for that 420 hp V8 (I'm curious if BMW will recommend the 10w-60 for that engine).

I think you'll have a whole different animal on your hands with the M3. I would recommend getting with Terry Dyson's service soon after break-in and the dust settles.
I too miss Road Rage on the forums. In fact, it was on one of his posts that I first heard of Terry Dyson's great work.
Do you have any UOA's of LE 8130 in the S2000. I'd like to see them, if you don't mind. Thanks, and good luck with your new beast!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back