Three newbie questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Everybody,

This is definitely a newbie question - but how do I go about properly cutting open an oil filter? I'm only fifteen years old but I have changed oil tons of times (I work in three different shops), but this is my first time doing it at home on one of the family vehicles. I have all kinds of cutting tools but I don't think using an angle grinder would be the smartest idea because of the sparks...hacksaw? My parents have always bought new vehicles with service programs so I've never had to do it, until now...the service plan on my sister's 2005 Jeep Liberty ended 25,000 kilometers ago but she neglected to get the oil changed or ask me to change the oil until now
nono.gif
This is with a standard OEM filter and dino 10w30 oil...I'd like to see what the inside of the filter looks like after that, or what's left of it anyway...ridiculous.

Anyway, I have three filters sitting here (I got them for free) a Carquest Red (Wix), a Quaker State (Purolator) and a FRAM (yeah, right). Which one of these (other than the FRAM) should I use for this oil change, or should I go to Napa and spring for the Carquest Gold? Oil is Castrol GTX 10w30 (hey, she bought it, lol).

My last question is, the Castrol Syntec Blend 10w30 (semi-synthetic) just went on sale at Canadian Tire (where I work) and is now like $0.20 more per litre than the GTX...is it worth my while to go return the GTX and grab the Syntec Blend? Sorry for the long post, figured it was better than posting three different topics, though. Thanks in advance for the advice.

Anyone ever try a Pampered Chef can opener? They cut under the edge of the lip of the can...maybe that would be great for oil filters!

I was thinking about doing a flush. In that case I would just use the Quaker State (Purolator) and the Castrol GTX for say, 500 km's...my sister does that in about a day sometimes, hahaha. I don't know if I can bring myself to screw on the FRAM. I was going to cut it open just for kicks. As I said I got them all for free so it's not a big deal. What's a decent oil to use once this is done? Conventional or semi-synthetic...she doesn't want to dish out for synthetic. It gets changed every 5,000 km's or so.

I cut them open with a hacksaw with a *new* blade. I put it in a bench vise only as tight as it needs to be to hold it.

Cut it open about 1/2" above the seam at the base. On used filters, there will be some oil trapped in the filter..even on well drained filters. Be prepared for a couple of ounces of oil to drain out through the cut as you rotate the filter when cutting it.

The downside of using a hacksaw is that the ability to inspect a used filter for trapped dirt, etc is ruined by the metal bits from the hacksaw.

In this case, a filter cutter is a better choice.

Cool - I'll change it tomorrow and again after 1,000 km's. What's a good conventional or semi-synthetic I can put it? Personally I have very little experience with choosing anything other than synthetic so I'm a little bit lost. I've always liked Valvoline, good call?

i have used synthetic oil since 1977 and never looked back...i don't trust semi-synthetic ..what is the percentage mixture 50% ...30% ...5% ..it is not written on the can of oil ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back