how does conventional oil hold up when

Status
Not open for further replies.
used under extreme driving conditions compared to synthetic? I've heard stories of both causing sludge if kept in the engine too long.
If conventional oil is used, especially in the winter and never allowed to heat up, could it sludge a motor up even if it is drained on a shorter OCI of 3 months?

Highly doubt it. I used to use conventional valvoline exclusively in my old Altima and I would run it only 5 miles each way, once a day, never warming up in freezing temperatures and drained it at 3k which was usually 6 months, and it was nice and clean under the valve cover when I sold it.

I love these SFCP threads . . .
laugh.gif

SFCP, I belive that a regular conventional will hold up just fine in those conditions with the exception of racing and lots of towing.

Also an oil not being able to warm up in an engine will not cause engine sludge.

I think its a good question. Heat is more of a factor in sludge. When oil is left in too long or the oil change extended to the point that the additives are depleted the oil begins to burn and litterly cook itself on to the inside of your engine, causing Sludge. This is my opinion though, I feel I must always add that clause as not to draw (to much) artillery fire.

It really depends.
Some engines are really easy on oil (Hondas, for example), and it would not matter. There are other engines (some Saabs, some Toyotas, some VW-Audis, some other Euros with radical drain intervals) in which any oil will be challenged, so they should certainly have a tough oil, synthetic or otherwise.
Not sure what you are really asking here, but any decent Grp III would probably work well in all but a handfull of applications.
If you are really worried, there are a number of very tough oils out there, and BITOG can certainly point you to them.

He basically asks the same question every other day.
We need the newbie forum back and put SFCP in it.
laugh.gif

Cutehumor your right, he started out as GRBR 95 than he was Mossad now SFCP and your correct he asks the same question every other day.

All I know is that he has some kind of Dodge Caravan and he's constantly worried about it.
laugh.gif

In the winter time, I just try to make a long trip out of a short trip and get my water temp up to 185F at least. If I can't do that, I'll let it sit and idle for 20 minutes and get all fuel diluted. Fuel dilution is better than sludge I suppose.
grin.gif

SFCP, I don't mean to sound sarcastic either; I really like your threads.
smile.gif
cheers.gif

Well, Guys not everyone that has mental health issues's is locked away. Their really is next to no money in the system anymore for people like this. It is even worse if you are a kid. You would not belive how much the foster care system has become a defunct metal health clearing house for those under the age of 18.Probably 1/2 of the kids in the system now are not being abused their families simply can not handle them and their mental health issues.So they put them through the system. I have a friend that her and her husband have three bilogical kids and 2-3 foster kids. They have been doing this for over 20 years and have seen all kinds of changes in how the system is used.

The prison system is much the same way. Their are a lot of people in the system that are their becuase their is no place else to put them.

So, while this poster might be anoying do not let it get to. It is obvious that he needs some help but he is not hurting anyone and his post's have while repetitive not been inflamatory.

SFCP you dont need M1 in that van of yours. just find some syn on sale or go with a good conventional oil and change it reasonably................... wait i just had a flash back............. oh yeah.............. i have already told you this mess SFCP! lol.... you can keep posting threads if you want. it wont hurt anybody.. ill give you the same advice i gave you before.. you should worry more about your tranny than your motor. there i said it

Quote:

SFCP you dont need M1 in that van of yours. just find some syn on sale or go with a good conventional oil and change it reasonably................... wait i just had a flash back............. oh yeah.............. i have already told you this mess SFCP! lol.... you can keep posting threads if you want. it wont hurt anybody.. ill give you the same advice i gave you before.. you should worry more about your tranny than your motor. there i said it

So tell me mikeg5… Why don't I or any other Joe Blow out there with a minivan need M1 synthetic? After all, so many tout that it has superior cold and hot weather capabilities. So what is it genius? M1 doesn't necessarily protect as well as conventional? That's what it seems you are stating. That's not what most everyone else here thinks. That's not what any tech at any oil company will say.
And so what if it's "just a minivan"…some people want their vehicles to run until ---- comes back. My tranny is the least of my worries because I already maintain every other fluid in that vehicle as religiously as most others who care about their car, so you can finally shut your hole with regard to that issue. Furthermore, since you have been so keen to notice that I post many threads that in a round about way bring up the same questions, it's because most of you DA'sses don't "really" no jack abouit oil. And I'm not trying to state that I do either, because I don't. At least I admit it.

It will protect just as well as a conventional. The temperature (warm & cold) tolerances are where it will shine, and also for slightly longer OCI's. No need to get uptight about things though, although I feel a few people kind of jumped on you unnecessarily. Here's my 2 cents on the situation: If you aren't using it in below freezing temperatures or planning on extending the intervals, a conventional will serve you just fine.
smile.gif

SFCP,
Taking your post seriously, if I had a vehicle used on a number of short trips, I would be concerned about cold flow, fuel dilution, and accumulated moisture.
Some oils seem to deal better with both fuel dilution and condesation better than others.
I would make a comprehensive study of the UOA section. I would probably also try one of the favored brand oils, and have my own UOA done. PP might be a good choice for you, as might RTS 5W-40. I think either oil would serve you well. If you feel that your local climate will allow for something on the thick side, GC has had many good ROAs.
I think that part of what we have all learned here is that there is no one best oil. It depends upon the engine, the use it is put to, and the local climate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back