General Tire's Exclaim UHP

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a thread going on them already. I might be the only one here using them now. I love them so far.

Quote:

There is a thread going on them already. I might be the only one here using them now. I love them so far.

The price is right.
The reviews are very good.
You like 'em.
I just ordered a set.
smile.gif

I only do 5K miles a year and keep the car in the garage on winter snow,sleet and rain days.
They'll work well for me.

Sweet. I am no expert on summer tires, but these seem to be the best of all worlds. This is for the Lexus?...fat.

I mean, *best* for your situation. I'm putting my 2 on rear for winter and my Kumhos up front since I know they work well.

Yea,I cancelled the order.
I read too much about summer tires losing grip in temps under 50 and being really bad on wet roads in winter.
Looking in to some Ultra High Performance All-Season by Pirelli,Yokohama.Michelim etc for a lot more $$$.

The Kumho Ecsta ASX is good bang for the buck UHPAS tire but the top dog in the UHPAS category right now is the Bridgestone Potenza RE960 AS Pole Position. I have also had excellent experiences with the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S and Pilot Exalto A/S.

Jon

Quote:

The Kumho Ecsta ASX is good bang for the buck UHPAS tire but the top dog in the UHPAS category right now is the Bridgestone Potenza RE960 AS Pole Position. I have also had excellent experiences with the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S and Pilot Exalto A/S.

Jon

Jon,thanks for your imput.
I'm very interested in the Potenza RE960 AS Pole Position at $134 ea at Tire Rack but a TR rep said they're backordered and made in Japan and will be in stock in about 3 months.www.Discounttiredirect.com shows the tires stock but unlike TR,I've never dealt with them before.
A Firestone dealer has them on sale this week for $192 + tax balance and mounting.
I know the manager there,though not a real good friend,I'll give him a call tomorrow maybe get a discounted price .
I'll call a few so called local discount tire places too.

Also like the second rated Yokohama ADVAN4 but they're $32 more per tire.
The Pilots are $60 more a set than the Yoko's and finished lower in the survey.
The Kumho Ecsta ASX are so cheap,they scare me.:D

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=UHPAS

Last edited:
If your interested in the RE960's try Firestone Autocare

http://www.firestonecompleteautocare.com

I have four RE960's on my WRX Wagon in 205/55/16. The price paid I believe was about $10 within what tirerack.com was delivered and mounting/balancing was reasonable.

Firestone AutoCare is awful in the way they try sell everything to you besides the tires.

I am feeling dumb. I went and looked at the latest tire rack test results (I don't look at the surveys, most people are dumb) and the Pilot Sport A/S is still tops. That said for the money the RE960 is an awesome tire, as is the Goodyear F1 AS. I wouldn't worry for a second about using Discount Tire Direct, I have ordered from them 5 times and always had an excellent experience. I haven't built a relationship with a sales rep at DTD like I have with Luke at the Tire Rack (ie: I don't get deals at DTD), but I have never been unhappy with a purchase from there either.

Jon

Quote:

I have four RE960's on my WRX Wagon in 205/55/16. The price paid I believe was about $10 within what tirerack.com was delivered and mounting/balancing was reasonable.

Firestone AutoCare is awful in the way they try sell everything to you besides the tires.

On sale now for $191.99ea + tax,balance and mounting at Firestone.
$572 delivered from

www.discounttiredirect.com

225/45/17

Last edited:
Quote:

Quote:

On sale now for $191.99ea + tax,balance and mounting at Firestone.
$572 delivered from

www.discounttiredirect.com

225/45/17

That is a pretty good deal, you can usually get tires mounted and balanced (with lifetime rotation and re-balance) for around $12 a tire at Wally's World.

Jon

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

They have the M+S stamp.

Yet tirerack.com specifically recommends against using them in cold temps or winter weather.

I can add some siping if it's needed.

Siping won't change the fact that the rubber compound will get too hard in Michigan winter temps.

Jon

WOW, FINALLY, something Honda and I agree upon!! Will miracles never cease??!
thumbsup.gif
laugh.gif

Wow, well...siping will help. Also, considering the M+S stamp, I would not rush to assert the compound is not silica-enhanced for pliability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back