Suggestions on oil and filter 2000 Infiniti G20?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just purchased a 2000 Infiniti G20. It has a SR20DE with 94,000 miles. The woman I bought it from kept every receipt, and I can trace her oil changes to every 2500-3500 miles. From 2004 till now, she had the oil changed at the local corner lube shop. Prior to that, the Infiniti dealer took care of it.

I would like to keep up on the maintenance, and hope to get recommendations on the oil and filter. I plan on using it to take my daughter back and forth to school (40 miles r/t occasional stop and go). Also, I noticed she had the transmission fluid flushed once at 40,000. Is that something I should take care of right away? If so, recommendations on fluid and filter would be greatly appreciated, as well as coolant suggestions, and any other preventative maintenance that I should follow up on.

Thanks in advance! I cant wait to get started!

From Amsoil's site:

2000 INFINITI G20 2.0L 4-cyl Engine Code SR20DE

FILTERS
Oil Filter......... EAO12 AMSOIL Ea Oil Filter
Oil Filter......... 51365 WIX 51365 Oil Filter (O)
Air Filter......... EAA74 AMSOIL Ea Air Filter
Air Filter......... 46116 WIX 46116 Air Filter
Fuel Filter....... 33477 WIX 33477 Fuel Filter
Trans Filter..... 58996 WIX 58996 Auto Tran Filter (O)
Cabin Filter..... 24863 WIX 24863 Cabin Air Filter (0)

NGK PLUGS & WIRE SETS
Plug................. GPSERIES BKR5EGP NGK7090 [1]
Plug................. IXIRIDIUM BKR5EIX-11 NGK5464 [2]
Plug................. STANDARD BKR5ES-11 NGK2382 [3]
Plug................. VPOWER BKR5E-11 NGK6953 [4]
Wire Set.......... WIRESET RC-NX11 NGK8111

1.DOHC
2.DOHC
3.DOHC
4.DOHC

TRICO WIPER BLADES
Blade Class Driver Passenger Rear
NEOFORM T16210 T16190
EXACTFIT T211 T191
WINTER T37210 T37190
OKTANE 20 inch 18 inch

LUBRICANTS & FLUIDS
Engine Oil
Grade 1......API*
Series 2000 Synthetic 0W-30 Motor Oil
SAE 5W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil
SAE 5W-30 XL Synthetic Motor Oil
Above 0°F......10W-30
All Temps......5W-30[1]
Manual Transmission,.....GL-4
75W-90
Synthetic Manual Transmission and Transaxle Gear Lube 75W-90
Automatic Transmission.....AF3[2]
Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid
Torque-Drive™ Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATD)
Fluids
Power Steering Fluid.....AF3
Brake Fluid.....HB
Clutch Fluid.....HB
Power Steering Fluid.....AF2
Brake Fluid.....HB
Clutch Fluid.....HB

1. 5W-30 is preferred.
2. Continental USA & Alaska use Nissan Matic D. CAN use
Nissan ATF. DEXRON-III/MERCON may be used as alternative.

CHASSIS LUBRICATION
0-1 Fittings, 0 Plugs..........LM
Series 2000 Synthetic Racing Grease
Synthetic GHD Heavy-Duty EP Grease
Synthetic Multi-Purpose Grease NLGI #2
0 Fittings, 0 Plugs

CAPACITIES
Engine, with filter..........3.6 quarts[1]
Cooling System, Initial Fill..........6.4 quarts
AMSOIL Antifreeze and Engine Coolant
Automatic Transmission, Total Fill
4 speed ..........7.4 quarts
Manual Transmission, ..........7.6 pints

1. After refill check oil level.

TORQUES
Oil Drain Plug.....22-29 ft-lbs
Oil Drain Plug.....22-29 ft-lbs

In my wifes 92 Nissan the transmission started getting stuck in second gear on hot summer days. I changed the trans oil 2 times for no improvement. Then I changed the trans oil with Mobil 1 synthetic ATF. Now I've been driving this car to work every day for more than 3 years and the car hasn't missed one shift since. 209,000 miles.

Use only NGK spark plugs in Nissan.
Do not overfill the motor oil.

Yes, use the Amsoil if you can spring for it and don't mind leaving it in there for awhile.
wink.gif

OK.

1)I got the NGK plugs. They were the same things I pulled out. I wasn't expecting $10 a piece, as I was use the $1.50 champion plugs! The NGK wires were $120, so I will price search.

2) I didn't see any Amsoil products on the shelf. I did see the Mobile1 and Puraltor Filters. It has less than 1000K on the current oil, so I can look around if Amsoil is that much better.

3) Blades were what I expected!

4) I pulled out the old ramps. The tranny has a drain plug, and very easy to access. Should I get a filter kit, flush, or do both?

5) Again, no Amsoil on the shelf as coolant. Zerex, Prestone, and store brand were the choices. Any of the three better than the other?

Thanks for info!

I has an SR20DE in my 92' SER and I used regular dino 5w30 in winter and 10w30 in summer. I never had a problem and sold it at 120K. It was a sweeeet motor coupled with the 5 speed. I also used regular NGK plugs changed approx. every 30K because they were so easy to access. The only reason to use iridium, platinum etc..plugs is if you have a motor that is hard to access the plugs and you want to avoid the hassle for nearly 100K. (IMO).

Hi Emory, I have the same car. Bought it new and now have 120,000 miles on it. The transmission has a screen so a filter kit is not needed and the screen cannot be replaced without partial trans disassembly. Simply drain it and refil with Dextron III. Buy 5 quarts just in case. Do this every 30,000 miles. I have tried every oil filter out there and the best is Nissan "9E" to prevent engine noise on startup. The best oil is 10W40 also to minimize engine startup noise and the best 10W40 to stop startup noise is Valvoline Max Life. Aside from the irritating startup noise this is the best car I have owned.

My wife drove a '99 G20 for a year, before our first child was born; we sold it & bought an Expedition.

I absolutely LOVED the Infiniti. We took our honeymoon trip to Disney World in it. Very nice riding little car, with more interior room than you would think.

I always had the oil changed every 3-4k miles at the Precision Tune quick-lube next to my office. They used 10w30 bulk oil; I'm not sure what oil filters they used. This was in my pre-DIY days. The car did not seem picky at all about oil. Always ran like a champ.

Have fun with your Infiniti.
smile.gif

I really like driving the G20. I have spent the last week trying to fix it up - Flushed the tranny, changed the oil, filters (oil,air,fuel), plugs, and coolant. Cleaned the throttle body and added Techron to the tank. Polished and waxed the paint, wet sanded the faded headlights(they look new!), and cleaned the leather with leatherique(worked wonders).

I still need to replace plug wires, cap and rotor. Maybe the PCV, any suggestions? Anything else I missed? My wife was right when she caught me on this website...'you're going to end up spending money'!

But it's looks and runs good, and more importantly, hopefully will stay that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back