Which Synthetic oil to use in my new Acura RDX?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

All I will say is $48 here (for 12k miles) is $800 more for 200k worth of oil changes.
twocents.gif

Another way to look at it is 200K/12K =16.7 years. I'm sorry but $800 in 16.7 years is peanuts. I wish I can find any type of insurance that insured a 1% loss rate for that cheap. Thanks Bill, you've just given me more reason to buy synthetic.
cheers.gif

Bill thats not the issue. The issue is whether you have a hot running turbo, do extended drains or race with high oil temps. If you have any of those conditions, spending the $$ on oil could very well be worth it. If you drive a normal passenger car, in normal operating conditions under normal drain intervals, yes synthetics are a waste.

Quote:

When you think about it, we demand a lot from our motor oil. For example, we all want better fuel economy, so we’re using lighter oils. However, we also want engines to produce more power per cubic inch. To add power, we’re putting in turbochargers which raise the engine temperatures and put higher stress on our oil.

That’s not the only stress. We value cleaner air, so new devices that reduce exhaust emissions place more contamination in the oil and increase engine temperatures. We’ve also cut aerodynamic drag, a plus for vehicle owners, but brutal on oil. By minimizing the air flow over the engine and drivetrain, temperatures also rise.

In fact, the average under-the-hood temperature has increased from 175 degrees Fahrenheit in 1975 to 225 degrees in 2000. Our vehicles are increasingly complex and powerful machines. To keep them running smoothly, we’re demanding that our lubricants do more and last longer.

Quote:

Quote:

All I will say is $48 here (for 12k miles) is $800 more for 200k worth of oil changes.
twocents.gif

Another way to look at it is 200K/12K =16.7 years. I'm sorry but $800 in 16.7 years is peanuts. I wish I can find any type of insurance that insured a 1% loss rate for that cheap. Thanks Bill, you've just given me more reason to buy synthetic.
cheers.gif

And 200k for me is less than 7 years.

Take care, Bill
patriot.gif

Quote:

Bill thats not the issue. The issue is whether you have a hot running turbo, do extended drains or race with high oil temps. If you have any of those conditions, spending the $$ on oil could very well be worth it. If you drive a normal passenger car, in normal operating conditions under normal drain intervals, yes synthetics are a waste.

We both agree!
throwroses.sml
(As always)
laugh.gif

(and I think most people think their operating condition is hard on a engine. If they follow the manual and CHANGE their oil, they will be fine.)

Bill
grin.gif

Quote:

wow never expected 7 pages in reply lol....

I got lost from page 3 - 6 with bill's informative rants
smile.gif

"Rants" over.
cheers.gif

The problem is I try to type for the new person just scanning the forums.

I HATE the one line answers like;

"Use (insert the koolaid) and you'll be fine" answers we see.

And then you find out that they have never taken an engine past 100k miles before they traded it in or sold their car.

Or someone who would make 200k miles in 16 years and they are 24 years old. So they know the answers.
smirk.gif

Like I said, Rant over
grin.gif

Bill
patriot.gif

Well Bill, I do agree with you that too many people are too trigger happy with recommendations. So we agree
shocked.gif

I think most people should leave the recommending to Terry or one of the other professionals that does this for a living.

Heck, I just try to give a good choice based on what the OP asks about brand wise. I cannot pick just one oil as the best, because no such lubricant exists. There are MANY good blends, many bad blends, and some superior blends (meaning additive package setup in each case), but not a single lubricant that is the cat's meow for every engine.

I use gourmet oils, way much more oil than my vehicle will ever need, but it makes me feel good, my car is getting spoiled, and unfortunately, my wallet is getting lighter faster. Could I do something different and more reasonable...sure. Could I use something better...it's all in the eyes of the consumer...
wink.gif

Quote:

Well Bill, I do agree with you that too many people are too trigger happy with recommendations. So we agree
shocked.gif

I think most people should leave the recommending to Terry or one of the other professionals that does this for a living.

This would sure be a dull place if we did that.

Seriously, who's to say that a recommendation of Brand A based on years of use with no oil-related problems is any less valid than a recommendation by Terry for Brand B based on years of UOA data and the experience to interpret it? They are both valid and sound recommendations. It's up to the person soliciting the recommendations to determine how much weight he wants to give each one in coming to a decision on what to use.

Quote:

Seriously, who's to say that a recommendation of Brand A based on years of use with no oil-related problems is any less valid than a recommendation by Terry for Brand B based on years of UOA data and the experience to interpret it? They are both valid and sound recommendations. It's up to the person soliciting the recommendations to determine how much weight he wants to give each one in coming to a decision on what to use.

Because Terry has vehicle specific data and asks a lot of questions about a person's specific situation. Some others recommend first, and ask questions second. I don't think I need to explain this to you G-Man because I know you're smart enough to understand the difference.

But yes, I agree it is like the wild wild west in here and that makes it both fun and dangerous. So use info at your own risk.

Quote:

Quote:

Because Terry has vehicle specific data and asks a lot of questions about a person's specific situation. Some others recommend first, and ask questions second. I don't think I need to explain this to you G-Man because I know you're smart enough to understand the difference.

But yes, I agree it is like the wild wild west in here and that makes it both fun and dangerous. So use info at your own risk.

Terry isn't posting on this site anymore, so good luck

Quote:

Quote:

The difference is one of weight, not validity. In my example, both are valid recommendations based on experience.

Quote:

The difference is one of weight, not validity.

I don't know what that means.

But anyways, as you said, it's user beware and that's not going to change as long as it's a public forum.

Quote:
Unfortunately AMSOIL is not offering a product at this time for the following application:

2007 ACURA RDX 2.3L 4-cyl Engine Code K23A1 Turbo

Engine Oil Recommendations

NONE [1]

[1] Use oil that meets Acura standard HTO-06

Technical Services

AMSOIL INC

I think at the moment it's not a priority due to small amount of these vehicles on the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back