Which Synthetic oil to use in my new Acura RDX?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry 'bout that Pablo, didn't know that you already checked. Thanks for trying again today though. What is everybody's take on this spec from them anyway?

The spec, from what I can tell, is a high temp deposit/oxidation type test. Just a guess being it is a turbo. M1 does keep an engine very clean, I'll give it that.

Taking nothing away from PP, but if it is HT/Oxi type test and a group III oil can "pass" it must not be that tough. I know nothing of the actual specification, and if Amsoil does, they aren't saying. Something tells me it was NOT on their radar screen when I first rattled their cage, and they really didn't chase it down (due to other pressing matters no doubt....)

Anyway I will stay on it myself. The natives are restless.
hide.gif
whistle.gif

Is this becoming a Honda Forum?

Anyway, GC is/was Factory-Fill in some of the most high-end TURBO Euro cars. The test sequence for the longer Euro specs is based on an 18k miles interval. So, imo use Mobil 1 on the 0w-40 (SL if possible) or try GC. Look also that Saab turbos use M1 0w-40 now and their previous "specific" oil was an A5 0w-30. PP 5w-30 is also an A5 oil. This is the spec I prefer for my Hondas.

It appears no one knows exactly what type of test this actually is, in terms of actual testing process. However, a little common sense says it's a oxidation/deposit test. None of the companies I've spoken with even know what it is, including Mobil tech. (not surprised)

The key for superb turbo charger performance is heat resistance, specifically the oil must withstand hot temperatures and not oxidize and form deposits. A PAO/Ester oil like Amsoil would definitely meet this spec. and I'm sure even a group III could if it's a good oil.

Hold the presses....this just in from HQ:

Quote:

We don’t know if it meets it or not yet as testing has not been completed, and we will always error on the safe side.

No date has yet been set for an introduction of an oil meeting HTO-06.

Quote:

Hold the presses....this just in from HQ:

Quote:

We don’t know if it meets it or not yet as testing has not been completed, and we will always error on the safe side.

No date has yet been set for an introduction of an oil meeting HTO-06.

WOW...
shocked.gif

(bold added by me)

I'm 1000% impressed.

Thanks for that Pabs. I'm getting ready to (finally) order some more oil from you and that made me feel alot better!

(The ATF for my Subaru we talked about, I was feeling a little uneasy with it just being added from Amsoil...)

Take care, bill
patriot.gif

This is what I got back from Amsoil

Quote:

*******;

We are developing an oil to meet Honda HTO-06 specifications, but no timetable has been established.

Thank you for this opportunity to respond to your question(s). As always, please feel free to contact us again if we can be of further assistance.

Sincerely,

Technical Services

Quote:

Unfortunately, AMSOIL currently does not have a product where we claim
HTO-O6. AMSOIL is currently looking into the qualifications of this
spec, and may be claiming it in the future.

Best Regards,

Don Zupec

Technical Services Manager

AMSOIL, INC.

Quote:

In exhaustive testing done by Honda R&D
engineers, only Mobil 1 Synthetic Motor Oil met
this new standard. Mobil 1 produced no critical
deposits on critical engine components such as
the seal ring, the shaft, and the turbo walls.

Quote:

Quote:

In exhaustive testing done by Honda R&D
engineers, only Mobil 1 Synthetic Motor Oil met
this new standard.* Mobil 1 produced no critical
deposits on critical engine components such as
the seal ring, the shaft, and the turbo walls.

*The standard includes extensive bench testing, over the road testing, and a multi-million dollar fee paid by ExxonMobil.

crackmeup.gif

Every answer is slightly different. They need an M1 group III type statement.....oh yeah, maybe not.

How come only one person actually knows what the spec is? And he died last year holding A-8 ♠.

how about Valvoline Syn 5w30? My Fiance has an RDX, first two oil changes were M1. I saw BOGO syn valvoline so that is what is in there now. Even though it doesn't meet the spec, it should be fine.

Quote:

*The standard includes extensive bench testing, over the road testing, and a multi-million dollar fee paid by ExxonMobil.

I'm all for making fun of M1, but it was testing done by Honda, not XOM. M1 does do an excellent job of keeping engines clean though from people I've spoken with that have experience with it.

So according to this test, none of the other oils tested did that well according to Honda. What brands where they I wonder? Synpower? Castrol Syntec? Or did Honda use Home Depot 5w-30 to make M1 look good?

Amsoil will pass this test easily IMHO.

PP/M1 are the only two oils that passed this test as of now.

I can see how my sentence can be interpreted as you did, but I didn't mean that XOM did the testing. They just paid the fee.

Quote:

Every answer is slightly different. They need an M1 group III type statement.....oh yeah, maybe not.

How come only one person actually knows what the spec is? And he died last year holding A-8 ♠.

Notwithstanding the bias for Amsoil here.... Amsoil did not gain approval by Honda. M1 did. Bottom Line.

Quote:

Quote:

Notwithstanding the bias for Amsoil here.... Amsoil did not gain approval by Honda. M1 did. Bottom Line.

That's an incredibly naive response. M1 gained approval by passing the tests AND being part of a marketing deal with Honda.

Pennzoil Platinum is approved, too, but you don't see Honda touting Pennzoil. XOM paid for that Mobil 1 endorsement by Honda.

Putting aside all 'paid endorsements' for a minute, I'm very curious about warranty concerns where Amsoil (and Redline) are involved. If a manufacturer has specific requirements for oil to be 'certified' and G.O.D. forbid you have an internally lubricated component failure and are found to be using a non-certified oil (despite how good the oil is), are you giving the manufacturer grounds to deny warranty coverage? I'd be more than happy to pay the extra cost to use Amsoil or Redline, but if something happens, I'm not thrilled about the concept of Mazda telling me to get bent.

Can someone clear this area up for me? What certifications are Amsoil and Redline missing, if any?

Why is it when M1 passes a test, performed by another company such as Honda in this case, and all others are have showed to either have failed or do poorly, it's considered marketing?

Marketing is XOM showing the results and displaying them trying to convince it has a superior product. CBD makes a valid point and while I'm sure Amsoil would/will pass this test, I'd be very concerned about my warranty with this new HT0-06 spec. Let's give credit, where credit is due. That test graph specifically states "Honda R&D" suggesting that data is from Honda, not XOM.

I personally would NOT want to use any of those other brands, whatever they may be.

CBD - In that case, I'm pretty sure Amsoil would back it with their own warranty. Not sure of the technical details of it however, relating to different manufacturer specifications. I'm sure one of our Amsoil sponsors would be able to explain it further.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back