Which Synthetic oil to use in my new Acura RDX?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mau

I am currently using Amsoil ASL 5w30 in my 99 Honda PRelude. We picked up an Acura RDX and it is factory filled with Mobil 1 Synthetic as it meets HTO-06 standard.

Does anyone know if the Amsoil ASL meets that standard now?

Here is info on the RDX oil. http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SN/B060700.PDF

Thanks
canada.gif

Do you happen to have the turbo'd engine, or the naturally aspirated one?

Just curious as I would definitely stick with a high quality synthetic with the turbo.

Sweet. Enjoy that engine, as it's the first boosted engine that Honda has made available to the public.
smile.gif

I find it very interesting that Honda now has its own special spec for an oil. Guess they just want to follow the crowd so to speak on that front. I forsee no problems using the Amsoil if you would like. It is a very high quality synthetic, and should serve you well.

Also, as a side note, interesting as well that they went back to a 5w30 with the turbo, as most every other Honda specifies 5w20 or 0w20 in the Hybrids.

Any good quality synthetic will work fine. PP 5w-30 meets this spec. Being you use Amsoil already, I'd use that.

Quote:

Do you happen to have the turbo'd engine, or the naturally aspirated one?

Just curious as I would definitely stick with a high quality synthetic with the turbo.

AFAIK isn't the turbo the only engine?

For '08 it is, but IIRC Brian WC, there was a choice in '06 and '07.

Heck, even with the choice, I would've taken the turbo over the NA engine, just for the "noise" factor of turbine whine!
grin.gif

Quote:

For '08 it is, but IIRC Brian WC, there was a choice in '06 and '07.

Heck, even with the choice, I would've taken the turbo over the NA engine, just for the "noise" factor of turbine whine!
grin.gif

Can you provide evidence to back that claim up? I have never seen, driven, or read about a NA RDX and my family has spent significant time deciding whether or not to buy one for my mom. Back OT, ASL should work just fine in your K23A1 but I would still run a UOA to make sure it isn't running into problems. As Honda's first publicly available FI engine it is hard to say how tough it is on oil. Like someone already mentioned, if you want an oil that definitely meets the spec PP 5w-30 will likely do the job well and is generally available for pretty cheap on BOGO, MIR, and in 5 quart jugs.

Jon

Last edited:
OK, I did say if I remember correctly...I didn't. A turbo 4 has been the engine since '06.
smirk.gif

So, leiu of that, what is your take on the new oil spec HondaF1Fanatic?

Indeed - NICE RIDE. Turbo......(said like Homer says "donuts")

No Amsoil ASL is not "Honda HTO-06" certified. But it certainly is better than equivalent. It's an interesting way to avoid the MM act in the USA, by using "or equivalent" so boldly.

http://www.amsoil.com/magnuson_moss.aspx
Not at all related to your Honda, but some similarities

DON'T want to bog your thread with the usual battle just laying out Amsoil's position. If this bugs you, use the M1 or PP, but they are not superior oils.

Also, just stick with the max recommended OCI and you'll be fine.

I believe there are only 2 approved oils available in the US. Acura has made their choice between the two of them.

I wish companies would publish the complete technical requirements when they cook up their own oil specs. The requirements for API certifications are public knowledge, why not so for the manufacturer specific ones?

Quote:

Can you provide evidence to back that claim up? I have never seen, driven, or read about a NA RDX and my family has spent significant time deciding whether or not to buy one for my mom.

Quote:

OK, I did say if I remember correctly...I didn't. A turbo 4 has been the engine since '06.

Dad2leia, now go Google all of Honda's patents and post them here; that'll be your punishment.
laugh.gif

Uhhh...they have one on their VTEC engines...their CVT transmission...and for having the smallest oil filters for engine size, yes, they have a patent on that too...

liar.gif

Quote:

Also, as a side note, interesting as well that they went back to a 5w30 with the turbo, as most every other Honda specifies 5w20 or 0w20 in the Hybrids.

The high-revving S2000 still calls for 5W-30.

Alot probably meet the spec - but just because some oil bottlers didn't partake in the program - doesn't mean their oil is inferior. Please don't assume Amsoil is inferior to anyone on the approved list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back