New guy on the block needs help with AutoRX filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone!

I spent yesterday doing some reading throughout the forum and gained a lot of valuable information. Maybe too much information so a little confusion has set in!

For the "cleaning" phase of AutoRX what filter should I use? A high quality filter? a low quality filter?

And for the "Rinse" phase what quality of filter should I use?

Any particular brands would also be helpful, thanks!

I'd go low ball. If you think your engine is really sludged (not too likely) change out the filter midway. A $2.xx filter of any manufacturer will do ...imo. Wait until beyond the rinse phase for better filtration ..and then base your purchase on the amount of utility that you can get out of it (how long you're going to leave it on).

Super-Tech, Purolator Premium Plus, MotorCraft (Purolator), AA TotalGrip (Purolator) ...whatever
dunno.gif

x2
Go cheap on the clean and rinse filters. I used Purolator Premium Plus' that were less than a $1 after rebate. Maybe go oversize, if you can.

Quote:

Thanks guys. A cheap oversized filter is ok if not better then?

I'd head out to Napa and pick up a ProSelect or whatever else is their cheap brand. The standard is the Napa 1085 filter for your engine, I'd head to the Napa 1068 or 1515 if you have the clearance. I think the Fram sizes are the PH16 (stock), the 1068 = ph43, and 1515 = ph8A. I am running an oversized filter for my AutoRX run on the 1992 right now.

The filter? Waste of expensive media. The oil? Interferes with Auto-Rx's cleaning properties.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back