Whats it cost to get studs put into tires?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got 4 free studded snow tires, and want to know about what it will cost to get studs put in, also what are my options on studs? where can i get them put in?

Thanks

if its old used snow tires a shop may not put studs in them. Cant say about cost but it is very labour intensive to put studs on tires. Not cheap.

At my shop I normally charge $8.00 to stud a tire I sell, $12.00 to stud a carry in. WILL NOT STUD a tire that's been on the ground (no, not even across the street and back) because the little holes to install studs will pick up small gravel. These small stones will ocassionally break the "fingers" of the stud gun. To replace fingers, one must buy a complete rebuild kit,somewhere over $100.00 last time I checked. You, or the next Joe Bloe aren't willing to ante-up for broken parts, so, I'm not willing to take that chance for the pittance involved. New tire customers should'nt have to pay more to cover my losses from attempting to stud used tires.

Bob

Thanks bob,

Now I'll have to check around, that isnt too bad of a price, ill also have to talk to the guy who gave em to me, i know they were mounted but im not sure if he ever even drove on em.

Thanks again

yes, check your local authorities for approval for using studs on city/township roads otherwise you'll be penalised.

We here do not allow studded tires to run within the metro-city area, period.

Lastly: I personally would not bother to use studded tires anyways, just get some grippy Blizzak snows and you'll be good for about 4 winters.

are studs more for ice anyways? as long as they take good care of the roads i thought most ice was preventable. but what do i know i live where it never gets colder than 40F

studs are more for biting sheet ice than slush, IMHO.

Good modern studless snow and ice tires such as blizzak, Dunlop Graspic, Toyo Observe, etc. works out extremely well esp. in hilly terrains such as where yours-truely lives.

They are quiet, handles really well (compared to some old-fashioned winter tires that allows you to spike) esp. when trying to tackle the coquihalla highway or uphills along WA states highways in the midst of snowstorm.

Quote:

as long as they take good care of the roads i thought most ice was preventable.

ooo.gif
laugh.gif
smirk.gif
grin.gif
crazy.gif
ufo.gif

Nope, you can't always prevent ice.

There are a lot of winter tires that do very well on most icy surfaces without studs. I doubt they'd do as well on wet ice though.

I'm glad studded tires are allowed here!

I tried the Blizzaks and while they work better than a tire without studs, they in no way compare to a dedicated snow tire with studs. You can work the roads all you want to minimize ice but especially at intersections you'll always have ice and that is where studded tires shine the most.

Look at ice racing rules; for studless just show up with a helmet, but even with production studded tires you often need a harness and roll cage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back