Oil brand recommendations for 2007 Corolla

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

I dont know if anyone has recommended this yet as I havent read the whole thread but Ive been researching 5w30 synth oils and Im considering getting castrol syntec full synth for my corolla. Walmart has the 5qt jugs for $23. Its #'s are low so the mileage may be a little better. @40C 58.2 cst @100C 9.7 HTHS ?

Ive also considered the Pennzoil Platinum 5qt jugs at walmart for $19. @40C cSt 59.7 @100C 10.5 HTHS 3.0

As someone who has run a few OCIs of Syntec, Syntec Blend and GTX save your money .

No difference on MPG and the UOAs were close to the same with GTX being better.

I had a 4.4 TBN AFTER a 5.8k run in the winter on GTX 5w-30 SM.
approved.gif

Take care, Bill
patriot.gif

Thanks Bill. Im also considering havoline DS 5W-30 thats $11 for the 5qt jug at walmart. The #'s are very close to castrol syntec and its $12 cheaper although its not synth. @40C cSt 59.4 @100C 9.7 HTHS ?

I bought a 2006 Toyota Corolla S today with just over 19K miles on it. Is the automatic estimates 30/38 for mileage. Seems like a nice little car, was reading some reviews online about the 06 corolla s and seems like a pretty economical and reliable car. After reading the thread I think I will go with dino 5W30 or 5W20, although I do have quite a bit of valvoline 5/30 i got at bogof.

Thanks for all your input on the cars, I appreciate it.

Mike

I'm running the 1zz-fe engine on a celica. I've been using Mobil 1 5w-30 fully synthetic for a while now, should I stick to it?

Other thing I'd like to ask is, does using mixed oil of different brands pose a hazard to the engine? I accidently mixed a quart of part synthetic Castrol Syntec blend with 3 quarts of fully synthetic Mobil 1 (both 5w-30) in a bottle. Should I dump it or can I use it?

both are 5W30 and while it is ok to mix dino or syn blends and full syns most say dont do it if can help it but you will be ok dont sweat it

Update!
I went back to the toyota dealership today and told them I didnt want the 06 corolla s, that for right around the same price I can get a 2008 corolla. The dealership did not have any '08 corolla s models but did have an 08 corolla le 5 speed (which is what I wanted, along with cruise control) it is actually cheaper than the s model so I went with that one.
-Believe I am going to be running gtx at 5k intervals

I have, Is where I came up with gtx, and the recommended interval is 5k or 6 months, with the driving I do it will definitely be every 5K

When you say Castro gtx do you mean the normal stufff in white jug or the "high mileage " in the green jug. Is one better than the other?

Originally Posted By: 02zx9r
Whats the mileage you guys are getting out of the corollas on the highway? I have the 06 ford fusion 3l v6 and I have a 60 mile round trip commute to work everyday. Is about 5 minute trip when I leave the house to the highway then the cruise is set at 70mph for about 25 minutes then I am going about 45-50mph with a couple of stoplights then am at work, then reverse order coming home. And I am only getting maybe 23mpg in the fusion. Just took it to a trip to PA was around 686 miles altogether and i had the cruise set between 65-75 and was only getting 23.9mpg. Have amsoil 0W20 in it for around 4000 miles now and plan on going to 10k, but am seriously looking at getting a civic or corolla. Just need better gas mileage.

If some that have the corollas could pipe in your mileage I would appreciate it.

Mike

My 2004 Corolla S gets 34 plus in combined driving and all freeway on longer trips has given me as high as 42 MPG. But most of the time on trips it hovers right at a little over 38 MPG.

Originally Posted By: Willisja55
When you say Castro gtx do you mean the normal stufff in white jug or the "high mileage " in the green jug. Is one better than the other?

He or she probably meant the white jug. Plus that post was made 10 years ago.
smile.gif

When running synthetic oil only costs an extra $12.00 to $16.00 a year (or nothing with rebates.) I always tell people to run full synthetic. If you extend your oci by say 40% & use rebates, it's actually much cheaper. I realize it's different for the non DIY crowd. Too bad Castrol increased the price on Magnatec.

I see he hasn't posted since 07. Another long lost BITOG member. He's probably still driving it,now with 300,000 trouble free miles
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back