Oil brand recommendations for 2007 Corolla

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

If some that have the corollas could pipe in your mileage I would appreciate it.

Mike

Mike,
I couldnt' think of a better car to get for the money. My wife got an '04 LE automatic in December of '03 and the only things I've had to do with it other than oil changes and filters are new brakes, alignment, and tires. It's got about 60K now. The gas mileage even for an AT is excellent. The best tank she got was back in December when she got 41mpg on a trip out to Connecticut. Plus, you don't have a timing belt to throw money at like a Honda, even though I'm happy with my '98 Civic with 159K. And studying Bill's UOAs over the past couple of years helped convince me to take it off its diet of M-1. I pretty much put in a good name brand and live happy every 5K miles.
fruit.gif

Appreciate the info. Will look into the corolla. my fiance knows one of the salesmen at nissan/volvo here in darthmouth and she got a deal on an 06 acura rsx type s with 23K on the odometer and he is trying to get me to come look at the last 07 nissan sentra he has there. the mileage on the hiway is not as good as the civic's or corolla's but definitely better than the fusion by at least 10-11 mpg more.

seafoam is a fuel treatment you can get for about 4-6$ a can at most auto places.. this is what i do and i know for a fact that it works and works well.. keep in mind its best to do this and then change your spark plugs but you dont have to.

1. take 2-3 cans in the fuel tank and only fill 5 gallons worth of gas. run it till as empty as possible

2. take 1 can and with the motor on suck it through the pcv valve or main brake vaccuum hose. have someone in the driver's seat with the foot on the gas at 1500 rpm to help you suck it through.. all you have to do is to tilt the bottle and let the vacuuming coming from the pcv or the vacuum hose suck it up. DO NOT submerge the line in the can or else you may get vapor lock and you dont want that to happen.. no fear this is easy as pie just take your time.. anyway, suck in only 1\3 of a can and shut the motor off for a few hours. turn it on and either sit there with the motor running and pegged at 2k rpm or you can run it down the road. repeat the process till can is empty. the longer you let that stuff sit in your intake system the better.

Went and drove the sentra was nice and the mileage according to the sticker is 36 on the highway, I wouls assume it would creep up to around 38 or even 40pmg on a long trip steadily rolling at around 70mph.
-But I passed on it, I am going to save up a good down payment and apply it towards a civic or a corolla. You always see the toyota and honda commercials where there cars are still on the road after 2 even 300,000 miles, dont think i have ever seen a commercial about the nissans, even though they are probably all good motors.
But I am going to go with the corolla or civic.

Thanks for the input people, I appreciate it.

Mike

yeah toss a coin on corollas and civics. yeah the civics look better but i would lean towards the corolla. seems like they dont have as many little things like tbelts and etc like the civic does. plus i have seen how my gf treats her FREE 05 corolla and after 86k HARD miles its still in great shape.

Quote:

plus i have seen how my gf treats her FREE 05 corolla and after 86k HARD miles its still in great shape.

I will give you $1000 for it, thats a good deal right there!!
banana.gif

Not too familiar with the motors and such but the corollas do not have timing belts?

I believe like you said it be a coin flip. I will give myself about a month to compare the two and go from there.

Thanks Mike

Mike

Quote:

Not too familiar with the motors and such but the corollas do not have timing belts?

I believe like you said it be a coin flip. I will give myself about a month to compare the two and go from there.

Thanks Mike

Mike

Correct, no belt, they use a chain.

BUT the only downfall about not having a chain is that your water pump will more than likely give out while driving. whereas if you had a timing belt, MOST will tell you to go ahead and replace the timing belt and the water pump at the same time, thermostat too. so this greatly reduces your chance of getting stranded with and overheated motor..

02zx9r - before you settle on a Corolla (a good car BTW), take a Mazda3i for a test drive. They start around 14k and the 2.0L/5spd combo can pull near 40mpg on the freeway. Many people report that you get much more for your money compared to a Civic or Corolla. You might get a couple mpg less, but the driving experience should make up for it; peppier engine, better brakes and handling, better interior.
twocents.gif

All of them will last if you take care of them. I've got 226k on my Mazda MX6, my Mom has 200k+ on her Nissan NX1600 (timing chain, too!) - both on original clutches.

We just drove our 2006 Corolla LE automatic to Mississippi from Ohio and back (about 730 miles one way).

This is the second time me, the wife, and two kids have made that trip in the Corolla.

I have complained in the past about the driving position in the Corolla being uncomfortable but I have to give it credit on how well it treated me for that long trip. Even though my ION is comfortable for my 34 mile commute I am not sure it would do so well on a really long cruise. Rented an HHR for a business trip and it had me in agony. Sure I got a little stiff after hours in the Corolla but there was no major or lasting pain a quick walk about didn't cure. Maybe there is some method to the madness of the Corolla's driving position?

We still managed 35mpg driving through Tennessee with the automatic, a/c full blast, four people, and 80mph.

So far our Corolla has had old style Havoline, Super Tech, and Pennzoil Platinum all in 5w-30. I like the advice of using whatever name brand SM dino you can find on sale. I have a couple of cases of old style Havoline in stock from when it was on sale for 1.55 a quart.

surfstar-my mom had mentioned the same thing this morning about looking at mazda. I guess it never crossed my mind, i was under the impression that the civics and the corollas were the ones that would get 2, 3, even 400,000 miles if properly maintained, well i guess any car could potentially make that if maintained, i just always see the commercials and testimonies about the corollas and civics.

Will look into it thanks.

Redline as far as I know does not make 0w-30. Amsoil vs. Redline I wouldn't think you would notice a difference. They are both top notch...

running amsoil 0W20 in my fusion as of now, hoping to get to about 10k before i do a uoa, at about 4500miles now. I believe the civic had 5w20 on the oil cap. i have 2 cases of the 0w20 so would run that and have 5w30 valvoline synpower i picked up on bogof.

I dont know if anyone has recommended this yet as I havent read the whole thread but Ive been researching 5w30 synth oils and Im considering getting castrol syntec full synth for my corolla. Walmart has the 5qt jugs for $23. Its #'s are low so the mileage may be a little better. @40C 58.2 cst @100C 9.7 HTHS ?

Ive also considered the Pennzoil Platinum 5qt jugs at walmart for $19. @40C cSt 59.7 @100C 10.5 HTHS 3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back