Mixing oil to get benefits of both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really like the Shell oil they sell at wal-mart , and this time i picked up a gallon of Super-tech high mileage oil. My idea is to mix both of them, and get the benfits of the high mileage oil while also staying with 50% Shell in the crankcase of my Toyota pickup with 190.000 miles. Good idea? thanks

Quote:

I really like the Shell oil they sell at wal-mart , and this time i picked up a gallon of Super-tech high mileage oil. My idea is to mix both of them, and get the benfits of the high mileage oil while also staying with 50% Shell in the crankcase of my Toyota pickup with 190.000 miles. Good idea? thanks

I think you should just use 100% of your choice of HM oil. I wouldn't get caught up with liking Shell oil at WM.

Hammer

Quote:

Quote:

I think you should just use 100% of your choice of HM oil. I wouldn't get caught up with liking Shell oil at WM.

Hammer

x2

mixing oils is awesome!
approved.gif

Mixing …

Quote:

Trico …

Mixed antioxidant systems. When two or more antioxidants are added to an oil, an antioxidant effect is frequently observed in excess of either additive introduced individually.

If the oils contain the same antioxidants then you're even. If they contain different antioxidants, then there may be some upside to mixing.

I don't really see much downside to mixing, unless you're mixing a much inferior oil with a good oil like a synthetic, you will come out worse than the synthetic.

Every oil change I've done in the last 15 years has been some mix of at least 2 oils.
smile.gif

I doubt the main benefit of the HM oil (seal conditioners) - will do much good at approximently 50% volume. Either use all HM - or all dino for best results.

I would say mix within the same brand of oil, that way there is no issue with the additives, and you can play with your viscosity levels if you so desire...

Not sure I see the benefit of cutting the mixed oils additive packages in half. Only possible benefit I could see would be to beef up a weak oil with a higher performance oil like a Synthetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back